What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old School Garmin Datacards

DodsonD

I'm New Here
I just bought myself an RV-8 that has a GNS 430 non-waas navigator in it. I don't want to upgrade but I do want new data in it. I did get the NavData updated. Garmin sells the supplementary data (terrain and obstacles), but not NavData. I already had the Jeppesen programmer but I had to get on the phone to get the subscription started. The website was no help. Maybe because its a bad site, maybe I couldn't figure it out, or maybe they just handle these old systems manually. Bottom line: subscription is active and card is programmed. I can navigate /G!

The terrain and obstacle data is now giving me fits. I figured a phone call to Gamin would fix it, but their call system is down because of their ransomware attack. So, maybe someone here knows... I was able to buy the terrain and obstacle databases on the Garmin site, but they won't program into my card. The part number is 011-00460-10. I expect that the card is too old and won't hold the data. There are two other part numbers I have found on the web: 010-10201-20 and 010-10201-21. I have a -21 in my GNS 530W in another plane. Will that card work in the non-WAAS 430? I realize I can't just share the data, but if i program the card with the 430 data, will it work? I can I re-program it with the 530W later and it work in the 530W?

My understanding --WAAS/NON-WAAS cards not

compatible -- I have the non-WAAS 430 as my #2 unit and update the nav data every couple of years, through Jepp -- never have updated terrain.

Ron

GNS Database Cards

I just bought myself an RV-8 that has a GNS 430 non-waas navigator in it. I don't want to upgrade but I do want new data in it. I did get the NavData updated. Garmin sells the supplementary data (terrain and obstacles), but not NavData. I already had the Jeppesen programmer but I had to get on the phone to get the subscription started. The website was no help. Maybe because its a bad site, maybe I couldn't figure it out, or maybe they just handle these old systems manually. Bottom line: subscription is active and card is programmed. I can navigate /G!

The terrain and obstacle data is now giving me fits. I figured a phone call to Gamin would fix it, but their call system is down because of their ransomware attack. So, maybe someone here knows... I was able to buy the terrain and obstacle databases on the Garmin site, but they won't program into my card. The part number is 011-00460-10. I expect that the card is too old and won't hold the data. There are two other part numbers I have found on the web: 010-10201-20 and 010-10201-21. I have a -21 in my GNS 530W in another plane. Will that card work in the non-WAAS 430? I realize I can't just share the data, but if i program the card with the 430 data, will it work? I can I re-program it with the 530W later and it work in the 530W?

Hey Doug,

The Jeppesen card reader will only write Jeppesen databases. In order to write the Garmin databases you will need a different card reader, part number 010-10579-20. A -21 card will allow you to update the terrain and obstacle databases on your unit, you can order these from a Garmin dealer.

Thanks,

Justin

Cards

Anyone doing swaps for a nominal fee? There used to be someone on this site that was willing to swap/update cards.

Thanks for the reply Justin. I do have that card reader too. I am using Garmin subscriptions for my Glasair GNS 530W. I rotate cards so I have a spare 010-10201-21 card for that plane.

For the 430 (non-WAAS), I know I have to go Jepp for the Nav data and I have their programmer from way back.

I know I can't just pull a card out of one plane and put it in another because the data is serialized.

So, just to be clear... if I put a non-WAAS 430 terrain and obstacle database on my spare -21 card for the RV-8, can I later put a GNS 530W terrain and obstacle database on that card and put in back in the Glasair?

Thanks (and sorry for your troubles at work).

Last edited:
GNS Terrain Database

Thanks for the reply Justin. I do have that card reader too. I am using Garmin subscriptions for my Glasair GNS 530W. I rotate cards so I have a spare 010-10201-21 card for that plane.

For the 430 (non-WAAS), I know I have to go Jepp for the Nav data and I have their programmer from way back.

I know I can't just pull a card out of one plane and put it in another because the data is serialized.

So, just to be clear... if I put a non-WAAS 430 terrain and obstacle database on my spare -21 card for the RV-8, can I later put a GNS 530W terrain and obstacle database on that card and put in back in the Glasair?

Thanks (and sorry for your troubles at work).

Doug,

That is correct, you will want to load the terrain database specific to the non-WAAS unit on the card before using it in a non-WAAS GNS 430.

Thanks,

Justin

OK, programmed the card, that worked. GNS 430 didn't recognize it. Called the tech support number (Garmin phones are fixed). I need "Mod 7" and Main Software 5.04 for it to work. So, I already have Mod 7 (or even the old terrain function would not be there). I found a shop nearby that had the software loading card for non-WAAS GNS 430. Several I called would get the card from Garmin, charge me for it, then charge me to install the software. Not my guy...Greg Pippen at Pippen-York (T82) had the card and loaded it no charge. I haven't flown with the new terrain data yet, but the 430 recognizes it and boots up normally.

That problem is solved... all you non-WAAS 430 owners... get Main Software 5.04 before no one has it anymore. The current Terrain/TAWS card is part number 010-10201-21 and if you have Mod 7, you can update terrain and obstacles from Garmin provided data. I don't know if Mod 7 can be done these days.

Back