What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Leak

jahoosafat

Hi - My 2013 RV-10 is about to be re-painted,*and I found multiple fuel leaks on both the right and left tanks just as I dropped it off at the paint shop in Alabama. I previously had a few leaks, and my A&P applied epoxy to the tank exterior in order to avoid the higher cost of removing and re-sealing the tanks.* This approach worked ... until now.* My question is what's the best course: 1) Remove the tanks and send them to Paul Beck (http://www.weepnomorellc.com/), reinstalling them before final paint work. 2) Remove the tanks and buy new tanks from Vans, getting an A&P connected with the paint shop to build and install them.* 3) Something else?* Since I'm an owner rather than a builder, could anyone provide info about potential timeframes for Weepnomore to turn these around (I've emailed Paul and am waiting to hear back) or a decent A&P to build/install new tanks?* Thanks for any info!

Jeff

I highly recommend Paul. He does outstanding work and is just an all around good guy.

Just curious,,,,,,were these tanks quick build wings from Van's or builder built? Regardless,,,,I would just remove the tanks and reseal them. Its not a easy job but is certainly within most builders capabilities.

Another very satisfied customer of Weep No More
Paul was not always quick to respond to e-mail (call).

Just curious,,,,,,were these tanks quick build wings from Van's or builder built? Regardless,,,,I would just remove the tanks and reseal them. Its not a easy job but is certainly within most builders capabilities.

Builder built

Another question from a non-builder: what are the challenges to removing and shipping 2 existing fuel tanks from AL to MN? I assume Paul Beck generally has people fly to him and he works on the tanks that way.

Another question from a non-builder: what are the challenges to removing and shipping 2 existing fuel tanks from AL to MN? I assume Paul Beck generally has people fly to him and he works on the tanks that way.

You’ll just have to build a crate, pad/protect the tanks VERY well, and ship them to him. I’ve used Yellow Freight in the past to ship tanks to him. If you use their self-help/ online service and create your own bill of lading, and drop them off at the nearest Y.F. terminal dock, you should be able to ship both tanks for less than $150 each way. As far as removing the tanks from a 10, I’m not sure, but on a -7 it’s about an hour job for each tank. Oh, BTW, the last time I checked, Paul charged $1250/tank for his service....but talk to him about that, and his turnaround time is usually about three weeks.

Last edited:

Its not overly difficult. Drain the fuel, disconnect the fuel level sender wiring, the vent line, and the fuel supply line. Remove all the skin screws (this will damage the paint a bit),. Then access all the Z bracket mounting AN-3 bolts through the bottom access panels on the bottom of the wing. Not fun but its not really difficult,,,mostly uncomfortable. The tank will need to be messaged a bit to get it off due the the skin dimples. Build a wood crate to ship it with cradles to hold the tanks in place. Sounds like a fun project. Don't fret or over think it,,,,just do it.;)

Timely

My right fuel tank on my RV-10 is waiting for UPS freight to come and pick it up today.

It is being sent to Paul for repair.

In this process I found uship.com as a very good source for multile quotes for freight charges. UPS quoted me as an individual $2,600 to ship the tank. Prices were all over the place from $800 to the $2,600.

I shipped via uship.com and price with $7,000 in insurance was only 365.00 from UPS.

BTW, I asked Van's if they had quickbuild tanks and they said no. So a new tank would have to be constructed from scratch.

Here's my nickels worth of advice. I'd remove them and send them to Paul. I did that with a persistent leak on one of my tanks. No leaks since.

If I were building today, I'd get both tanks to the point of closing the rear baffle then send both to him. He is expensive BUT.... in the end worth every penny.

Here's my nickels worth of advice. I'd remove them and send them to Paul. I did that with a persistent leak on one of my tanks. No leaks since.

If I were building today, I'd get both tanks to the point of closing the rear baffle then send both to him. He is expensive BUT.... in the end worth every penny.

Great advise....I?d do exactly the same thing if I were building new tanks.

Back