What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone attach question

unitink72

Well Known Member
Looking for a sanity check here.

These are the two bottom corners where the fuse side skins, mid fuse bottom skins, and tailcone meet. To help orient your eyes, the tailcone still has some blue plastic on it.

Do these look right?

Attachments

• 20200910_202858.jpg
    20200910_202858.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 20200910_202844.jpg
    20200910_202844.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 159
The picture on the right is most correct, though I don't think it's a problem if you have the bottom skin between the tailcone's bottom and side skins as in the first picture. It looks like you are still in the fit-up stage but be sure to round the corners of the side skins. Not only do you not want that sharp angle there to catch on things, it'll look nicer. Really, I think Van's should have us take the corner off the tailcone's side skins to accommodate that bottom skin joint, but when I discovered it on mine, I decided not to attempt to fix it as I was likely to do more damage than good.

Last edited:
Mine is situated like your photo on the right. Both fuse skins overlap the tailcone skins entirely. (You have that one on the left photo wedged in between)

Last edited:
Back