What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator trim question

fdeppieri

Hi all,

Before to proceed installing the brakes line, I worked to complete the installation of the elevator trim.

Studing the plan for that trim installation, I doubt I had is that the two sections of the trim must move in different way.
I just finished the installation of the electric trim and I observed that the course of the left section si different from the right one.

The electric motor drives the two cables in different way, and I'm not understanding the reason for that design.

Do I wrong something or it is ok as it is ?

Thanks a lot
Francesco

Trim

The RV-10 needs far more UP trim than down. The trim design allows both trim tabs to move and provide for nose up trim. Running the trim nose down, by contrast, will move only ONE tab to provide the nose down trim.

So, at full nose UP trim, both tabs will deflect about 35 degrees and at full nose DOWN trim only one will deflect.

IIRC the system was originally engineered so that there would be a flap interconnect that would automatically adjust trim with flap extension and retraction. That idea was abandoned, but the trim actuation set up was not re-designed.

I can assure you that the asymmetric travel is a non-issue.

IIRC the system was originally engineered so that there would be a flap interconnect that would automatically adjust trim with flap extension and retraction. That idea was abandoned, but the trim actuation set up was not re-designed.

I can assure you that the asymmetric travel is a non-issue.

Yep, what he said.

Back