What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel pants

Electrogunner

Well Known Member
Wondering how long you waited to install the leg fairings and wheel pants during phase 1. What was the deciding factor on when to install? I have 23 hours out of 40 done thus far. I do have a slightly heavy left wing that I can trim out easily with a wedge under the right aileron. I was holding off on any rigging/mods to address until after the fairings are installed for good.

I installed the wheel pants after 5 hours when I did my first oil change. Didn't really have a reason other than wanting to do testing with the pants on.

First flight

I began Phase 1 with the aircraft fully dressed, including the fairings.

A19A%2BDSC_0116_zpsrfhuuxcc.jpg

On the 6, only did a few flights without pants. Just long enough to figure out a temporary rudder trim tab. Once the pants were on, I made sure that there was no additional yaw motion introduced by them, then they eventually came off again for paint.

I couldn't think of any other reason to leave them off any longer. Only reason to leave them off initial was to verify that they were not introducing adverse yaw, as well as ease of inspecting wheels/brakes during first few shake out flights.

Larry

Last edited:
I flew with mine off for about 18 months until I got near my paint slot on the schedule. I finally put them on about 6 months prior.

The consensus says. Time to put my pants on.

It was just a few hours for me. I waited until I was comfortable that I made consistent landings. I also procrastinated to add a bit more drag with the engine break-in. There's no perfect answer. If you have cooling issues, get them on and the extra knots may bring temps down.

Time

It was just a few hours for me. I waited until I was comfortable that I made consistent landings. I also procrastinated to add a bit more drag with the engine break-in. There's no perfect answer. If you have cooling issues, get them on and the extra knots may bring temps down.

I had the same thoughts, also I wanted to be sure I didn't have any brake issues before covering them up. I haven't had any temp issues, fingers crossed.

Same two reasons for me. I'm at only 5 hours and they are not on yet. I'm waiting until landings are consistent and engine break-in is at 10 hours. I'll probably put them on at 10+ hours.

Wheel Fairings

I will be installing the new"Pressure Recovery" wheel pants on my RV6. Has anyone done this yet? There are plans and some documentation, the information is pretty scant in terms of just how to do this and in what order. I talked with Vans support and they gave me some links that had little to do with this.
Marc B

I will be installing the new"Pressure Recovery" wheel pants on my RV6. Has anyone done this yet? There are plans and some documentation, the information is pretty scant in terms of just how to do this and in what order. I talked with Vans support and they gave me some links that had little to do with this.
Marc B

We did this probably eight or nine years ago on Louise’s -6, and the installation is essentially the same as on any of the RV’s - use the drawings and instructions for a modern installation, and you shouldn’t have any trouble.

Back