What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Standard Hartzell prop + electronic ignition ?

onebounce

Hi all, looking for a little help...

I’m wondering if anybody has any form of electronic ignition on a standard 540 (D4A5) / 2 blade Hartzell prop (C2YR-1BFP/F8068D ) installation ?

I understand this is not approved by Hartzell, but maybe there is some experience or testing that indicates it does not create any vibration problems ?

Many thanks

Andy

I have that combo with EI. I was unaware of that restriction. I thought that I asked Hartzel as well.

Only 100 hours here, so can't really speak to longevity issues.

Larry

I have the standard IO-540 + Hartzell combo as you describe with a Surefly electronic ignition in place of the left magneto.

I have seen this topic discussed here before. It seems to originate from the wording in the type certificate where they list approved engine/prop combos (applicable to certified aircraft) and any special limitations such as RPMs to avoid. The concern relates specifically to modifications that can increase engine power, which is not the purpose of electronic ignition.

Some discussion here:
https://vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=177893

Type cert - see note 9 Special Limitations:
https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/d7115816308185568625843f00661353/$FILE/P-920_Rev39.pdf

I have lots of hours with CPI ignition on a D4A5, and a few more with SDS EFI and ignition.

Understand that in the certified world, "not tested" almost always defaults to a "restriction". The TV behavior of the prop/engine with EI is likely different than a standard magneto, but is it "worse"? Who knows. Since Hartzell is unlikely to test every possible advance curve available on the various EI products, we, the end user, are on our own.

I have the standard IO-540 + Hartzell combo as you describe with a Surefly electronic ignition in place of the left magneto.

I have seen this topic discussed here before. It seems to originate from the wording in the type certificate where they list approved engine/prop combos (applicable to certified aircraft) and any special limitations such as RPMs to avoid. The concern relates specifically to modifications that can increase engine power, which is not the purpose of electronic ignition.

Some discussion here:
https://vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=177893

Type cert - see note 9 Special Limitations:
https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/d7115816308185568625843f00661353/$FILE/P-920_Rev39.pdf

If you scroll to the bottom of that doc, it explicitly states that the 8068 prop on a D4A5 has no limitations.

Larry

Thanks all for the input.

What I’m struggling with is the general statement from Hartzell ...

“ Modifications to the engine or airframe that alter the power of the engine models listed below during any phase of operation have the potential to increase propeller stresses and are not approved by this list. Such modifications include, but are not limited to, the addition of a turbocharger or turbonormalizer, increased boost pressure, increased compression ratio, increased RPM, altered ignition timing, electronic ignition, full authority digital engine controls (FADEC), or tuned induction or exhaust. ”

I can understand Hatzell’s position - if they have not tested it then they cant say it is okay..

Unfortunately, the fact that there are no placarded restrictions for this prop doesn’t really help, due to the general statement above.

So I’m interested in field experience that indicates that that the standard 2 blade Hartzell prop and IO540 D4A5 combo Presents no problems in service. If anybody has a number of hours in service with this combo that would be great.

Thanks
Andy

100+ hrs with CPI2 ignition and Thunderbolt IO540

Not a lot of time, but a Very smooth running combination!

i have the standard 2 blade aluminum hartzell prop, thunderbolt IO-540 and dual light speed ignition.

Standard engine/prop combo as supplied by Vans, one mag, one Lightspeed Plasma3.......... now with 550 hours on the clock, smooth operation. Cheers from Western Australia

I have this same setup. Only 15 hrs into phase 1, but so far love the setup and performance of the plane!

Thanks everybody - much appreciated.

If it’s okay I might be in touch via pm for some more details where there is significant accumulated hours.

Great to know that there appears to be no in service problems with harmonics.

Cheers

Andy

Back