What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB wing fuel tank quality

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Will need to make a decision soon on QB vs. "slow build" on the wings. The riveting I've seen on the QB wings looks good enough, but is there any intel on the quality of the fuel tanks as of late? I've heard a few reports of leaking tanks on the QB wings but wasn't sure if that has been resolved or if it still an issue. And like any issue, you don't tend to hear from the people who don't have issues.

Thoughts?

I bought a QB wing kit from a guy who had stored them in a barn for a number of years. The story was that the complete QB kit was split up when the partners building it had a falling out.

I got the wings home, pulled the tanks off and followed Van's instructions for leak checking with 1psi and "Snoop". No leaks. The build quality looked pretty darn good. As someone who has "wet-sealed" a few panels on Navy aircraft, I've used the old 8802 a few times. And, I'd say they did a good job.

I happened to have a digital manometer that I bought to troubleshoot a furnace problem some time ago. So, I hooked it up to each tank and pressurized to 1 PSI and left it for 24hrs (each). The tanks maintained pressure. It was a fairly stable couple of days, ambient pressure wise. And, I kept the garage door closed. So, I'm pretty sure those tanks get a clean bill of health. Haven't put fuel in them yet. So, we'll have to wait and see...

Last edited:
Hi all,

Will need to make a decision soon on QB vs. "slow build" on the wings. The riveting I've seen on the QB wings looks good enough, but is there any intel on the quality of the fuel tanks as of late? I've heard a few reports of leaking tanks on the QB wings but wasn't sure if that has been resolved or if it still an issue. And like any issue, you don't tend to hear from the people who don't have issues.

Thoughts?

Better than I could do.....pressure testing was fine.

Thanks

Thanks guys, that sounds encouraging. It’s the only thing I’m considering doing QB so I appreciate the feedback

I did QB wings and the slow build fuselage. Neither tank leaked, however the “B” nut on the vent line inside one tank was loose, almost two turns. There is a thread in the -10 forum about the issue. It was a major PITA to tighten the nut.

If you do an air test, the problem will not show because you have to cap off the vent. It will leak out the vent when the fuel level completely submerges the fitting.

I hope Vans had a discussion with them about double checking the nut before they close out the tank. There hasn’t been any further action on the forum about this lately.

Had the same problem with my quick builds one vent leaked. A fellow builder loaded me a modified wrench that I was able to tighten the nut through the gauge float hole, without removing tank.

I did QB wings and the slow build fuselage. Neither tank leaked, however the “B” nut on the vent line inside one tank was loose, almost two turns. There is a thread in the -10 forum about the issue. It was a major PITA to tighten the nut.

If you do an air test, the problem will not show because you have to cap off the vent. It will leak out the vent when the fuel level completely submerges the fitting.

I hope Vans had a discussion with them about double checking the nut before they close out the tank. There hasn’t been any further action on the forum about this lately.

+ 1 for me and then lend the tool to Tom for his fix.

Michel

Back