What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Baffling Alloys

N91CZ

Well Known Member
Composites guy here with an aluminum question.

I am going to fab new aluminum baffling for my 22 year old Lancair. Pieces are showing their age and its time to refresh. The original baffling was a kit. This time around I am making everything from scratch. This will also allow fine tuning of the fit here and there.

What is the best alloy and temper to used for pieces needing to be bent or rolled? Any difference for pieces that remain flat.

6061-T4 is probably a better alloy if you are starting from scratch, it is significantly more corrosion resistant than 2024. However, the Van's kit will save an awful lot of work.

I would imagine that the Van's kit is 2024 because it would be operationally risky to have 6061 or 5052 sheet in the shop. Could lead to issues with other airframe parts if there was a material mix up. Especially if someone threw some 5052 on the punch instead of 2024. :eek:

"I would imagine that the Van's kit is 2024 because it would be operationally risky to have 6061 or 5052 sheet in the shop."

One of the side panels in my Baffle kit was something other than 2024. It was not Alclad and the pulled rivets deformed the panel greatly compared to the other parts....

I can attest to the fact that starting with a Van’s baffle kit works well - even for non-RV aircraft. They fit the engine perfectly and then you just have to match to the cowl.

I’ve done it a couple of times, and saves a lot of fiddle work - of course, if you already have a pattern, then you’re halfway there, and you can disregard.

Thanks for all the input.
I considered the baffle kit idea, but in my case I have existing parts to use as patterns. These need to mate with not just the engine but the plenum and diffusers.
I will try 6061T4 and vary the thickness depending on location.

I can see how labeling left-over material is important. I have many partial sheets that cannot be identified.

Back