What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN 650, TT Sorcerer and G5 combination.

echoooo

Hi.

I just bought a new GTN 650 and a new G5. I also bought a used Tru TraK Sorcerer and roll and pitch servos and auto-trim module formerly installed in a RV-10.

All of them are to be installed in my RV-7, except the servos and the auto trim module. The GTN will be connected to a GA35 antenna and to the G5 HSI fonction.

The Sorcerer is a substitute for an ADI Pilot II autopilot formerly installed in my RV-7. It will use the roll and pitch servos already installed in the plane

Someone can provide me with the wiring diagram to connect and interface those equipment in a way that the GTN will drive the Sorcerer in GPS steering mode?

Thanks for your time. Alain

Thanks Brantel.
I already have both installation manual. None of them contain specific wiring diagram or instruction to connect each other. Someone told me that the Sorcerer needs special wiring connection to the GTN to obtain GPS steering. That?s what I?m looking for.

Alain

The info you need is in those manuals.

The GTN did not exist when the Sorcerer was main stream so you won’t find a GTN specific diagram in either manual but the info to integrate them is there.

The GPSS signals are in the ARINC lines.

Last edited:
As said, integration is mostly via ARINC wiring (look at the 430W diagram). I would however verify the servo compatibility. I know the Digiflight autopilots used the same servos as the Sorcerer but believe that the ADI pilot actually used different ones. If that's true, they won't be compatible with the Sorcerer.

As said, integration is mostly via ARINC wiring (look at the 430W diagram). I would however verify the servo compatibility. I know the Digiflight autopilots used the same servos as the Sorcerer but believe that the ADI pilot actually used different ones. If that's true, they won't be compatible with the Sorcerer.

The servos the the same. The only potential difference is that the ADI pilot may not have had a trim-sensing servo. It will still work just fine, but I would recommend swapping it if it the existing servo is not trim-sensing, so the auto trim will work (assuming you have electric trim). The RV-7 doesn?t need nearly as much trim as the RV-10, so leaving the existing servo would be fine too.

The Sorcerer takes analog and ARINC data from the GTN650. The GPSS will all be through 2 ARINC wires, and they can be the same 2 that go to the GAD29 driving the G5, if you have that (and you will want that for vertical indication, unless you are going to install an analog CDI as well).

GTN650 P1001 pins 10 and 29 will go to Sorcerer pins 26 and 28 respectively. The ARINC output 1 will be set to Low Speed and GAMA429 and enabled vertical labels. Pin 25 on the Sorcerer will get GTN650 P1001 pin 5, 6, 7 or 8, which are the serial outputs 4, 3, 2 and 1 respectively, which would need to be set to Aviation output.

For the analog connections, there are 6 wires that would be connected from th same connector on the GTN650 to the Sorcerer, which would allow you to fly the Nav radio. If you need, I can detail what pin goes to what between the two. Just let me know.

Thanks Jesse for these precious informations.
I forgot to mention that I have a GAD29 that will drive the G5.
If I may ask, I would appreciate to know the analog wiring connection to fly the Nav radio as well.
Thanks for your time. Alain

The 2 arinc wires from the P1001 connector will go to the GAD29 and the Sorcerer.

Info - P1001 - Sorcerer
CDI Left - 49 - 21
CDI Right - 68 - 22
LOC Mode - 56 - 29
CDI Down - 31 - 23
CDI Up - 12 - 24

Back