What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank configuration for Inverted flight

Freemasm

Well Known Member
One of the many differences between the RV-4 and the Rocket are the fill/vent holes in the tank ribs. The RV-4 inverted flight configuration makes sense to me; basically a swing check valve in the only big (1" fill) hole at the number two rib. The related vents are very small. What did the Rocket community do with the second (1.5") mid-height hole and the 1" vents? Seems the negative dihedral when inverted would empty the inside bay pretty quickly without remedy. Please let me know what you've done. Much thanks.

Post Script Confession - Don't know why I opted for the flop tube other than it gives the option for such related flight/may help resale in the future. Probably a case of the dumb-a$$ on my part. Certainly not the first time.

Inverted tank

I built my tank according to Harmon spec with one exception the top vents are smaller 3/4" instead of 1" Still building so no flight data on this.

I haven't tried inverted flight with a low fuel state in my Rocket, but other posts in this forum show the flop tube probably works down to about 3 gallons in RVs. There is usually a flapper door in the top of the second rib to block the vent hole and slow fuel from moving outboard.

Back