What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon and Garmin Pitot Tubes

mcgaughy

Patron
Does anyone know if a heated Dynon pitot tube with AOA will work with a Garmin Panel? And, do both pitots us the same mount in the wing?

Ellis
RV-7a
2020 donation current

Well, both pitot tubes use the same air hose, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I don't know about the Dynon, but the Garmin pitot system can use a simple switch to control the heater (the regulated version does use a communication wire back to the avionics, so that may not work).

For mounting to the wing, I believe the Gretz pitot mast (or something similar) works for both the Dynon and Garmin pitot systems.

I have a Gretz driving a D180 and a G5. Works fine. Indicated airspeeds near identical - no more than a knot difference.

Jack

Ellis,
I had the Dynon heated AOA pitot in my first RV8 and switched to the Garmin G3X System when it first came out. I kept my Dynon AOA pitot tube and used it with the Garmin system, including the Garmin GI260 AOA indicator mounted on my glareshield, and it worked perfectly. The Garmin tube was cheaper, but I already had the Dynon unit installed, so I used it. No issues.

Back