What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Identify This Part???

rv6rick

Well Known Member
I believe this may be used in or around an aircraft engine shop.

I have contacted many major shops in the US and Canada and no luck so far....I thought I'd give the experts at VAF as shot.

Some info that may not be obvious in the photos:

1 - It is not magnetic.

2 - The longer of the two 'bushings' is not drilled all the way through and is like an 'end cap'.

3 - The shorter of the two 'bushings' is drilled all the way through and can slide back and forth on the 'shaft' and even slide over the spline 'teeth' that are cut into the 'shaft'.

4 - The little 'handle' that sticks out is permanantly attached to the 'shaft'.

5 - The little 'button' on the end of the 'shaft' is hollow and the spring fits inside of it. It can be depressed in and out like a little spring loaded plunger.

Have you ever seen one of these before?

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Photo 1 below:

Photo 2 below:

Photo 3 below:

Photo 4 below:

Last edited:
Gizmo

I don't know what it is but it almost looks like it could have something to do with a Rosen stud. Just a guess.

The spring loaded button looks a lot like the carbon brush out of a Slick magneto. Is it carbon? Maybe out of an old mag of some sort?

Could it be an automatic torque wrench extension conversion device, so that your torque wrench always does exactly what it's supposed to do without ever having to think about it?

--
Stephen
[ducking behind the nearest solid object
before the rotten fruit starts flying my way]

Thank for the replies thus far. Comments inserted below the replies.

If anyone has ANY thoughts on this please keep them coming as I really need to find out what this is. Again, I'm quite sure this is used in or around an aircraft engine shop but the shops I've contacted so far haven't been able to identify it.

I don't know what it is but it almost looks like it could have something to do with a Rosen stud. Just a guess.

Not sure what a 'Rosen Stud' is.....could you elaborate on that for me?

The spring loaded button looks a lot like the carbon brush out of a Slick magneto. Is it carbon? Maybe out of an old mag of some sort?

Not a carbon brush....all parts are steel except for the 'bushings' which appear to be brass but I'll need to verify that.

Could it be an automatic torque wrench extension conversion device, so that your torque wrench always does exactly what it's supposed to do without ever having to think about it?
Stephen
[ducking behind the nearest solid object
before the rotten fruit starts flying my way]

Definately not associated with a torque wrench.

Last edited:
Sure....

It's definitely a whatchmacallit.

They come in different sizes, shapes, and colors!:D

Rosen Stud

Not sure what a 'Rosen Stud' is.....could you elaborate on that for me?

Looks like I misspelled Rosen. I think that is the first time that has ever happened :roll eyes: . The correct spelling is Rosan.

Rosan studs are sometimes used on the cylinder exhaust ports. The Rosan stud has a locking ring on the center of the stud. The locking ring travels on splines which are parallel to the stud length. The cylinder is machined around the stud opening to receive the ring. After the stud is installed, the locking ring is driven into the cylinder to prevent further rotation of the stud.

I don't have any idea if your gizmo is from the Rosan family tree but it does have the same type of center splines as a Rosan stud.

I just did a bunch of googling for Rosan studs/inserts/tools/etc. I came up short but I do see why you made the suggestion. It may be worth my while to send the pics to one of the Rosan Companies to see if they can offer any insite. I do appreciate the lead....info like this may eventually lead me down the path of discovery.

Still trying to identify what this is, all ideas are appreciated. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Looks like I misspelled Rosen. I think that is the first time that has ever happened :roll eyes: . The correct spelling is Rosan.

Rosan studs are sometimes used on the cylinder exhaust ports. The Rosan stud has a locking ring on the center of the stud. The locking ring travels on splines which are parallel to the stud length. The cylinder is machined around the stud opening to receive the ring. After the stud is installed, the locking ring is driven into the cylinder to prevent further rotation of the stud.

I don't have any idea if your gizmo is from the Rosan family tree but it does have the same type of center splines as a Rosan stud.

Last edited:
Rick
What if this was part of a larger tool. For example, could this be the reversing mechanism in an air tool?

Does the inside of the cap that slides over the splined part of the shaft have matching splines? Since the arm/tab is fixed to the shaft, this part probably doesn't rotate 360 degrees. Looks like it might be a valve/gate control... maybe from a supercharger or a turbo?

Very interesting...

Hi Joe,

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

The 'bushing' that slides over the splines of the shaft is smooth on the inside.

I guess I could contact a turbo expert and share the photos with them, and see what they have to say. Anyone that you might recommend?

Does the inside of the cap that slides over the splined part of the shaft have matching splines? Since the arm/tab is fixed to the shaft, this part probably doesn't rotate 360 degrees. Looks like it might be a valve/gate control... maybe from a supercharger or a turbo?

Very interesting...

Hey Tom,

This could certainly be the case. I'm wide open on what this is, or what it is part of. Again, I know it's used in an engine shop....but in what way it's used is where I (and many others) are stumped.

Rick
What if this was part of a larger tool. For example, could this be the reversing mechanism in an air tool?

over 1000 views and no identification yet

I'm sure there is someone out there that will tell me what this part is. They'll look at it and immediately say...'sure....I thought everyone knew that' :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.

I'm still trying to identify this part.

I believe this may be used in or around an aircraft engine shop.

I have contacted many major shops in the US and Canada and no luck so far....I thought I'd give the experts at VAF as shot.

Some info that may not be obvious in the photos:

1 - It is not magnetic.

2 - The longer of the two 'bushings' is not drilled all the way through and is like an 'end cap'.

3 - The shorter of the two 'bushings' is drilled all the way through and can slide back and forth on the 'shaft' and even slide over the spline 'teeth' that are cut into the 'shaft'.

4 - The little 'handle' that sticks out is permanantly attached to the 'shaft'.

5 - The little 'button' on the end of the 'shaft' is hollow and the spring fits inside of it. It can be depressed in and out like a little spring loaded plunger.

Have you ever seen one of these before?

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Photo 1 below:

Photo 2 below:

Photo 3 below:

Photo 4 below:

Last edited:
I just sent these photos to 3 more rather large and expensive engine shops, we'll see what they have to say.

I'm almost surprised that a few of the 'bigshots' here didn't know what this was....oh well....keep looking and we shall see.

Still open for suggestions.

MMMmmm

I believe it is a brush holder, possibly from a janitrol or southwind heater.:rolleyes:

Back