What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fort Worth area Paint Class

WSBuilder

Well Known Member
A flying buddy teaches A&P classes at the local jr college and said they would consider teaching an aircraft painting class if there was enough support for it. How many here would take this class, really, if it was offered?

This sounds like a class I'd be willing to travel to Ft. Worth to attend. As long as it wasn't prohibitively expensive and, most importantly, it was a hands-on class rather than classroom instruction.

I'd travel to take a hands-on class as well, but not for a few years when it's closer to painting time.

TCC ?

Are you talking about Tarrant County Community College? I attending A&P classes there now.

They have a very good painting booth (really a room that is at least 15x15) and very good metal prep area for alumiprep/alodine (good for small parts).

I'd be curious as to which instructor would be teaching. I don't know that we have any "expert" painters on staff.

If this gets arranged, I'd love to show off our school to any local RV'ers.

It's kinda hard to teach somebody to paint. It's not hard to do at all but, you kinda need to just put some paint in a spray gun and go make runs and dry spots. Learn from your mistakes. In time you will learn what works for you. In the end the hardest part is the prep work. As an example, it takes me 2-3 days to get an RV ready for primer but only 30 minutes to spray it.

Update: Progress

We're beginning dialogue with potential teachers for this class in FW. One of the weird restrictions TCC has precludes them from advertising this class. I volunteered to put the word out when appropriate on numerous aviation/builders forums. Can you guys help by suggesting other forums? Thanks!

Back