What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CamLoc group buy redux

tomcostanza

Well Known Member
Early this year VAF did a group buy from MilSpec Products for CamLoc fasteners. I'm interested in purchasing a firewall kit and wondered how much interest is out there for another group buy. I took the liberty of speaking with Jeremy and he said he would do the same deal, which he recalled as:

5-9 Kits 5% Discount
10-19 Kits 10% Discount
20-29 Kits 20% Discount
30+ Kits 30% Discount

Doug, if you want to administer this on the group buy forum, there won't be any hard feelings, but if not, I'm happy to do it.

Anyone interested?

Happy to help anyway you want, Tom. It's easier and less confusing if I just put one post in that Group Buy area, so if you want Jeremy to write up the specifics I'll do that for you.

best,
Doug

Jeremy was open to suggestions, but he said what Jeff did earlier this year worked well (for him at least). Let's see what the interest level is before we put a lot of effort into it.

I have to interject that if this group buy happens again, you guys need to request the shortest studs possible. I ended up using the 40S5-1S studs which work much better in the RV world.

May also want to add 2 additional ones if you want to use them for the oil filler door. Its much cheaper than the fancy latch.

-Jeff

Last edited:
RV_7A said:
I have to interject that if this group buy happens again, you guys need to request the shortest studs possible. I ended up using the 40S5-1S studs which work much better in the RV world.

May also want to add 2 additional ones if you want to use them for the oil filler door. Its much cheaper than the fancy latch.

-Jeff

Jeff do you have any pictures???

Heres a pic showing the difference between the 2 stud lengths. The top recepticle has the -3 stud installed and the bottom one has the -1. Notice how deep the barrel is inside the recepticle on the top one. Its about to fall out. No good!

-Jeff

COWLING%20162.jpg

I too would like to get in on this one.

Does it matter which RV or cowl we have for the correct length kits ?

Oh, and Jeff, don't forget the cotter pins for your engine mount :rolleyes:

I have a but load of surplus camlocks but I like those.. You can have a perfect fit every time! Thanks Jeff for the pictures

-6A Camloc

Interested in the group buy for my -6A. Please give the details.
Thanks, :)

pczar3
Paul Czarapata
N694BP reserved

Wicked Stick said:
I too would like to get in on this one.

Does it matter which RV or cowl we have for the correct length kits ?

Oh, and Jeff, don't forget the cotter pins for your engine mount :rolleyes:

Nope it doesn't matter. If you fab up your camloc strip like MilSpec shows with the instructions it might work better with the long studs. But thing is no one does it like that, that I've seen.

Below is a picture captured from the instructions I received with my camlocs. It appears to be on an RV-8. They added what looks like another peice of .063 on top ot the mounting strip. Now sure what this adds, but it does make the stud have a longer reach to the barrel.

STUFF%20145.jpg

-Jeff

Last edited:
Great!

I count 10 so far, which would qualify us for the 10% discount. My thought is we should wait a week or two and see how many more are interested. What do you think?

If you send me a private message with your contact info, I'll forward them all to Mil Spec as a group.

Here is a link to the thread from the 1st group buy. Jeremy at Mil Spec said he could make the same arrangements again.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=4671&highlight=camloc
Keep in mind there may have been a price increase since then, but the discounts would be the same.

Who ever is running this tread.. Could they contact Jeremy. I wanted to know if there is any install documentation for prefered installation of these fasteners and his perfered length and why.. Thanks Also I was probably delte the hinge and go with camlocks

What is the discount for over 30?

Heck, I just got my Hookers so why not? Count me in...

Give me a tympani

I count 25, including those that sent me private messages. Another 5 and we can get the max discount. If you haven't yet, please send me your contact info. I'll give it to the vendor for all of us as a group, so they know who to give the discount to.

We're so close to the 30% off mark, I might as well commit too. Tom, I just PM'd you my contact info.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the RV8 firewall kit and the RV8 side kit?

Thanks,
Guy

To All,

I am glad that we have what seems to be another good response from the RV builders on the cowling fastener kits. Just to let everyone know, I have received some feedback from you and with that, it looks like we might want to shorten up the stud length to a ?1 (thanks Jeff and others for the input). So, I will alter the Van?s kits to incorporate this change if that is O.K. by everyone. The original reason for the ?3 was to have a ?middle of the road? that would allow for variances in builder cowling preference but, I think the kits that are specific to RVs would benefit from the shorter length and being that the receptacles are adjustable it should not be a problem. Therefore, if anyone has not installed their studs yet from the previous group buy and you want to return them to us in the original packaging we can swap them for the shorter ?1s. Anyone who has already installed the ?3s and want to change out for ?1s, just ship back the used ?3s and we can send the shorter -1s out to you at a significant discount. Please keep in mind that this will require readjustment of your receptacles but that should not be a big deal. All other components (grommets, retainer rings, receptacles) will remain the same. However, I have been considering changing the receptacle material from the standard light weight aluminum to stainless or maybe steel with bright zinc and clear chromate plating. Any input from the builders on this would be appreciated. As far as the current group buy is concerned, we would like to have everyone?s commitments in by Jan 30, 2007. Please contact Tom to get on the list. Once MilSpec has received the final list it will be up to the individual builders that are on the list to place their orders directly with us by Feb. 28, 2007. Because of the volume of parts that we will need to get through production and QC in addition to our other commitments with regular distributors, it would help us out if when you call to order, you could give us an idea of how soon you need the kit. That way we can schedule things to suit everyone?s best expectations. No one will be billed until the kit actually ships and lead times should be reasonable. If anyone needs a kit right away just call us and we will ship ASAP. The same purchase / rental program for tools will apply to this group buy for those who want to take advantage of it. Finally, I would like to thank Doug, Jeff and Tom for their assistance in putting all of this together as well as all of the other builders who have chosen to use genuine MilSpec Products on their aircraft. You have all given us some very valuable feedback. If you have any questions, or need anything else, please let me know. MilSpec wants to be the first choice for quick release fastening systems for all homebuilders and the confidence that you have placed in us in the past is very much appreciated. Thank you all and happy holidays!

Best Regards,
Jeremy Summers
MilSpec Products, Inc.
Tel. 352-735-0065
Fax 352-735-0504
www.milspecproducts.com
www.quickreleasefasteners.com (beta site)

Thanks Jeremy. Your level of competence and customer service has not gone unnoticed on this site.

I have counted twice and the following have expressed interest:
I have contact info for:
JoeG
Mark Schmitz
Radomir
GSuit
GuyPrevost
GBataller
DPansier
TinMan
ToddA
DavCor
SmithHB
DrakeRV
PCzar3

The following have expressed interest, but I don't have contact info:
RV505
Captain John
Wicked Stick
JcMcDowell
SVanArts
VPatton
Ronoc74
DarylT
Wayne
RexN41681
FlyBill7
CTBecker
WiseGuy
GRJTucson
MTBehnke
MarkSchmitz

With myself, we have an even 30. If everyone follows through, we should qualify for a 30% discount. This seems like a win-win situation. If anyone else wants to send me contact info, I'll forward it to Jeremy.

Hope it isn't too early to wish everyone a great holiday.

Last edited:
Camloc Contact info

Hey Tom,
I sent the contact info the other day through the link on this page. If you didn't get it please drop me an email through the site and I'll try again. I think it was directed to what looked like a business email.
Thanks pczar3
Paul Czarapata
N694BP reserved

Tom,

I'm in. Contact info is danhorton(at)elmore.rr.com

Has this group buy opportunity appeared anywhere else on the VAF site, like in the general news section? May be a lot of guys who don't read the engine section, and don't yet know about it.

CamLoc group buy

Count me in for an RV7A. I do have a couple questions, however, For those ordering only the firewall kit instead of the entier kit, why? Also, for everybody, are you favorable to the collared slotted type or the phillips type? Just wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Keep these group buys going!!!!!! Kudos to you vendors for giving us builders a break!!!

Tom, what contact info do you need?

At what point should we be contacting MilSpec?

Enough to let MilSpec identify you.

I'll send what I have to Jeremy on Monday. After that everyone can contact him directly.

Regards,

macrafic said:
Count me in for an RV7A. I do have a couple questions, however, For those ordering only the firewall kit instead of the entire kit, why? Also, for everybody, are you favorable to the collared slotted type or the phillips type? Just wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of each.

I'm just doing the firewall kit so that I don't have a line of visible fasteners along the horizontal joint on the cowling. A hinge works fine there.

I plan on going with slotted type so that I can tell visually that they are all locked. With the phillips type, there may be less chance of slipping with the screwdriver, but it may be possible to have an unfastened cowl fastener and not be able to tell by looking.

Back