What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Go Pro mounting recommendations please

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
My wonderful wife Laura got me a Go Pro camera for my birthday, and I am looking for any tips from those of you who have gone before in regards to the mounting of the unit.

I am thinking of using the big square mount that was part of the display box and bolting it onto an access hatch under the wing------a square pattern of mounting holes would allow me to point it either fore/aft or rotate the mount and have left/right capacity. Does anyone know if this mount is strong enough to use like this, or is just for displaying the camera in its original box?

What have you existing Go Pro folks done??

Thanks in advance.

I flew with mine using that as a mount under the wing a few times.

I am trying out a Ram ball now that screws into the tiedown ring mount.

Instead of using the big square, drill 2 holes in one of the flat mounts, and countersink them so you can get a small screw to sit flush, purchase a new inspection plate from vans for $2 or make one yourself. drill through the plate at whichever angle you like or make multiple holes for different angles. I did this on the wings as well as on the inspection plate just under the elevators.

A suction cup on the inside of the canopy makes for some good footage. My next mount is going to use 2 of the wing tip screws and will face the cockpit.

Well, first, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE.

Second, I know practically nothing about helping you with a mount. Sorry. I did use a GoPro inside on a Young Eagles event several weeks ago and was amazed at the incredible video delivered.

Instead of using the big square, drill 2 holes in one of the flat mounts, and countersink them so you can get a small screw to sit flush, purchase a new inspection plate from vans for $2 or make one yourself. drill through the plate at whichever angle you like or make multiple holes for different angles.

Good idea, could even make an adjustable unit with a banana curve slot in an intermediate plate, and a nutplate behind it on the inspection cover.

Sounds like you have abandoned this mount setup-----any reason other than wanting to try something different? Any problems with it?

Have just been experimenting with different kinds of mounts to try and get the best video. Vibration is a pain with all of em.

Had no real issues with using the big square mount.

I have also used the regular mounts with a hole drilled in em and a countersunk screw. They work as well. I left the sticky pad on them but did not remove the protective film. This helps with the vibration some.

I've got a whole box full of parts and pieces and mounts that I have been trying.

Mike,

I don't use a GoPro, I use a Drift, but the concept is the same. I use the Surface Mounting Spud from NFlightCam and the billet mount from the top of a suction cup mount. They are here:

https://nflightcam.com/store/index.php/gopro.html

The cool thing about the Spud thingy is that it can be mounted anywhere there is a # 6, #8, or #10 screw. I've used it for about 10 months and it works real well. Below is my installation.

Spud.jpg

Spud_and_Billet.jpg

Mount.jpg

Mounted.jpg

Yup. It works.

My wonderful wife Laura got me a Go Pro camera for my birthday, and I am looking for any tips from those of you who have gone before in regards to the mounting of the unit.

I am thinking of using the big square mount that was part of the display box and bolting it onto an access hatch under the wing------a square pattern of mounting holes would allow me to point it either fore/aft or rotate the mount and have left/right capacity. Does anyone know if this mount is strong enough to use like this, or is just for displaying the camera in its original box?

What have you existing Go Pro folks done??

Thanks in advance.

Yup.
It works. I did that.

Made a duplicate access panel for bottom of wing. Included a countersunk screw directly under the mount attach point as well.

Been on the plane for many months and several flights ..

See this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVHQix30euk
At 0:06 - 0:16
At 0:54 - 1:05

The under wing mount with camera facing aft.

James

got poor results with the suction cup on the inside of the canopy. in general, the canopy is vibrating too much, so is the glareshield, making the video blurry. this despite a very smooth engine and dynamically balanced prop.

the prop disc is an issue as the gopro gets quite a bad shutter effect, so try to find a location/angle that goes around the prop.

got best results by drilling / flush countersinking a hole for an #6 screw in one of the small sticky mounts. then stuck it on the wingtip, aligning that one hole to one of the wingtip fairing screws for security. another time, stuck it onto the top of one main wheel pant, using one of the forward to aft fairing screws as security.. both locations worked well.

do not use many/any of the extensions as each may introduce flex/vibrations.

good luck!

bernie

p.s. overall it comes down to time available to cut/post production. we have 2 gopros but hardly use them now due to not enough time/priority for editing and producing cool movies.

For mounting in the cockpit, there is a company that sells lens filters to eliminate the prop issues and different mounting solutions for the GoPro. Waiting for mine to get here so cannot comment on how they work, but from the videos of others, seems they look pretty good.

http://www.nflightcam.com/

Brian

Tie Down Mount

I turned down the grip end of a bolt that screws into the tie down so I could thread it to fit the Go Pro tripod mount. I use a nut to lock the tripod mount in the direction I want. I filed a flat spot on the grip between the threads for the tie down and the threads for the tripod mount so I could tighten the bolt in the tie down with a wrench. The mount is cheap and takes seconds to attach or detach, it is sturdy and you can point the camera in numerous positions with an easy adjustment. I like the results alot.

I took the helmet mount from my Drift HD170 and drilled two holes in it spaced to match the screws holding the tip of my vertical stab on. As luck would have it, the spacing matched two of the holes where the screws hold my left wingtip on too. I've used the mount in both places now and it works great. Gets a bit of vibration on the tail at certain RPM's though.

This is my mount, it has 3/8-16 threads that match standard RV style tie down threads. I can face it any direction and lock it into place with a nut. Stainless steel.

2wmi2ck.jpg

Back