What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DFW Shipping costs

MatthewD

DFW builders: Anyone remember the approx shipping cost for your slow build wings, fuse and finish kit to the metroplex?
All three are being shipped together next week.

.........................I know that its probably been posted before but , I can't find it.

Matthew,

My kits have been delivered seperately, but since no one else has answered:

I had my wing kit delivered to my appartment $358.

I picked up the fuselage from the freight terminal $269.

The finishing kit will be delivered next week.

Pat

Wings

I picked up my wing kit at the ABF terminal. This saved me 60 bucks in delivery fees. My total paid for terminal pickup was $242.07

OK folks, here are some real world numbers for shipping to the DFW area.

Slow build, wing, fuse and finish kit.........4 crates, 1050 lbs combined,
shipped to my door for $692.35

I had 4 of my men unload the crates out of the trailer by hand no problem. I also had the option to have it delivered in a truck with a lift gate for $110 extra, which of course I declined.

Shipping Costs

Matt,

What carrier did they use. I just got my Pro # and punched in on ROADWAY and it looks like it is $996.

AM I Missing Something.

Oh, it is slow build wings.
Anyone have it ship with ROADWAY. I was planning on $300 so I will have to go to plan B.

It was shipped with ABF. The driver guy mentioned that Vans has some sort of an agreement with ABF so they get a substantial discount........Is it too late to have it shipped by ABF??

BTW, it took a couple of weeks to get it to North Texas, but that was including the Christmas holidays.

Matthew,

Didn't have a choice in the shipper. They usually ship the cheapest way so I will call them in the AM and see what is up. If it is 996 someone will here about it.
Thanks for the input.

May not be relevant in today's world, but in the late 80's when my kits were shipped, Roadway also had the discount. I had all mine shipped by Roadway because they didn't charge extra for home delivery.

I didn't specify

so they shipped the wings ABF and the Fuse Roadway. I opted to pick them both up at their respective terms.. ABF was cheaper even with the 16' long crate but not by much. They both were in the 250-300 range. If my employer was cool, I could have used their discount (which blows away Vans) but their not. I got a quote for about $120 for both wing crates to GR MI. I always punch the numbers online just to tourture myself. Its amazing how cheap they can actually ship this stuff.

I wonder if Van committed to one carrier if he could get a better deal. It is something that would have to be negotiated and he has no incentive (we flip this bill) so he probably never will.

UPDATE

Got the wings in today and freight was prepaid. That was a pleasant suprise to me. Maybe VANS is looking for better customer service.
Roadway for me if they don't charge freight.
The driver was great helping with unloading. The furniture dollys work great thanks to HF.

Back