What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Moment of Truth

JoeG

Well Known Member
The time has come...

I'm going to order my fuselage kit within the next week or so. I am ordering the tip-up version even though I haven't flown one yet. (Big Leap of Faith). But I was wondering about the steps. Are they needed, nice-to-have, or dead weight?

Also, are there any other fuselage parts or pieces that you have substituted or found sub-standard. For example, If I had known better, I would have told Vans to keep their "standard" fuel caps when I ordered the wings. Those things are pretty cheesy in my opinion.

Any other words of wisdom are also welcome as I prepare to plunk down another 5 grand on airplane parts.

JoeG said:
I'm going to order my fuselage kit within the next week or so. I am ordering the tip-up version even though I haven't flown one yet. (Big Leap of Faith). But I was wondering about the steps. Are they needed, nice-to-have, or dead weight?
Your signature says RV-7, not RV-7A. Don't need the steps on the taildraggers. Nobody says you can't install 'em, but you really don't need them. Flaps down, the wing is tilted back, and you can relatively easily load bags and step up onto the wing.

On the tall -7A/-9A, however, you do need them imho. I know a young spry guy who flies a -7A with no steps, but I think he's crazy not to have steps. ;) Just getting up onto the wing, let alone loading bags, is a lot tougher with a level wing.

Used to fly my grandpas 6a with no steps and i have short stubby legs it was a bit of a REACH so to speak but it was doable.. this was a SB kit long before the steps were offered :D

Qualified opinion

I have a -7 taildragger with steps.
But as others have said; "You don't need them."

I fitted them as I (stupidly) assumed that a -7 sat as high as an-8- and my petit wife found it difficult to get onto my mates -8 wing, plus I wanted to be able to fly my -7 when I am 90.
But, in fact the -7 sits a lot lower than the -8.

So, unless you are less than 5' tall you don't need them. And they are a pain to fit.

If you don't like Vans fuel caps you might also think of not bothering with:
Van's Fuel Selector- use Andair
Van's Eyeball vents- use http://www.experimentalair.com/products.html
Van's Cowl hinges- use http://www.carbinge.com/

Pete.

Joe,
Before you make the decision on steps, you need to come out and try mine. (Sorry, I'm not back in the air yet, but the new panel is getting very close.) I just designed and installed steps for the taildraggers for short people like myself. True, you really don't need them, but as I get older and remain short, my new steps are really handy. They don't hang down but come out just above the flaps. With the flaps parked down, they are perfect. Installation is VERY similar to Van's except the reinforcement plates are on the inside.

Thanks all for the comments. Looks like I will not order the Vans steps.

However, I am interested in seeing your design Mel. If the roads aren't iced over this weekend, maybe I could take a drive your direction. Let me know if that works for you.

Right now it looks like I will be here this weekend. I have an RV-8 scheduled for tomorrow morning (might be delayed), EAA Christmas party Friday, An S-LSA Monday and 2 RVs Tuesday.
Give me a call. 972-784-7544

Back