What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Major Score!

JoeG

Well Known Member
For quite some time I have been pondering how to best build my wing jigs. I've moved to a hangar now, so the 4x4x8 post was not as easy an option, because there is no place to anchor the tops. The hangar roof is 15 feet high. So I decided that free-standing steel stands would be the ticket.

After a bit of asking around, I found out about a Steel yard in North Fort Worth called Westex Iron and Metal. It's an interesting place; half steel storage yard, half junk yard.

I originally asked about their 2x4 steel tube. The guy took me over to the rack where there were plenty of tubes neatly stacked. But on the ground, right next to them, was a stack of pre-fabbed RV-7 wing jig stands! Or at least that's what they looked like to me. They are 5 feet long, 1/4 inch thick angle (about a 3-inch web on the angle), welded to a 6-inch square base of 1/4" plate. I don't know what function they served in their former life, but they will make very nice jig stands. The best part, I got them for 30 cents a pound (scrap steel rate) and the 4 of them weighed in at 110 pounds. Only 33 bucks total!

They are a bit weathered (i.e.rusty), but they will clean up nicely.

Anybody know of a good place to get something like this sand-blasted? It wouldn't take long with the right setup. Otherwise I can just get out the wire brush for the drill.

I LOVE it when I find a good deal!

Here's the picture of the first two after a little wire brush clean-up. A little primer and paint and they'll look and function great.

wingjigsil3.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent John!

BTW, what is the move status? Did you decide to keep your project, or did you end up selling it?

Long story made short: you're guess is as good as mine. The project is still for sale. We may be staying in the desert for a little while longer, though. We may even be back to work on the project (or some project, at any rate) soon, in fact.

Stay tuned :)

Back