What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cool training tool. Not exactly RV related...

jcoloccia

Well Known Member
Ok...for those of you out there that are going for a new rating (or possibly even you PPL), here's an awesome tool/game. There's a bunch of questions on the written tests that start with something like, "On Figure 23 (some weather map), what are the winds over South Western Nebraska (or some other state)." The whole map is littered with wind symbols, of course, so you have absolutely no prayer of getting this right unless you happen to know exactly where South Western Nebraska happens to be.

I don't know about you, but I haven't been able to flawlessly fill in a map of the US since my 5th grade geography final. What can I say....if you don't use the information for 20 years you forget it I guess. At least I do...

Check this out:

http://www.addictinggames.com/50states.html

Run through it 5 or 6 times and it'll be burned back into your memory just as if you'd never lost it.

If only Mrs. DeLillo could see me now.

edit: Link to RV's - if you own a plane that cruises close to 200mph, you'd better know where all the states are! Maybe Doug could make section for cool training stuff like this? Not generic "how to pass the written" stuff but for out of the ordinary neat stuff. Hey, if this is too far removed from RV's and flying, my apologies Doug.

Last edited:
94% perfect, 7 miles error, 240 seconds to complete (no phone calls or interruptions)

Those first few inland states are tough to get perfect!

DR JK said:
94% perfect, 7 miles error, 240 seconds to complete (no phone calls or interruptions)

Those first few inland states are tough to get perfect!
I agree. I had 88% with 20 miles error all because I missed the early states by just a few miles when trying to place them.

I would really expect those desiring to "commit aviation" would all score pretty well on this test. It would be hard to fly too far if you did not have a good since of geography that would include some level of map reading and navigation skills. :D

92%, Avg error 10 Miles, 393 seconds, 46 of 50 perfect

It's tough when you get tennessee right off the bat with no surrounding boundaries to go by, so I was off 100 miles there, but from then on it was a piece of cake.

94%, 6 mile error, 374 seconds with a phone call, 47/50 perfect.

That was kinda fun! :cool:

AlexPeterson said:
Ok, 98%, 1 mile, but 550 seconds. Hardest part was not putting California too far to the left.....

Ouch!!! ;) Well, you wouldn't be too far off for the the bay area anyway...

Man, I'm good! Nailed Hawaii and Alaska!

I really need to get out more. I have a flying RV. I have no excuse. :(

Why must you easterners have such wiggly shaped states that are SMALLER THAN THE *&!@#$ CURSOR??? :)

80%, 43 miles 454 secs.

That was fun!

Back