What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument Training

RV7Guy

Well Known Member
I'm going to start on the IFR ticket next month. I'd like to use one of the computer based programs for the ground and written test prep.

Anyone have recommendations as to which one to use?

The King one seems really expensive. The Sportys looks like it covers everything and is half the price.

Finally, anyone have one you want to sell, loan or rent?

Thanks in advance.

course

I've got the Jepp Instr/comm course.... YOU cannot beat the King course for material. A bit corney but well worth the bad jokes. They have the best material course hands down... The other courses seem to try to cram it in and the King's take their time and do it right. The Gleim books are also very good for material. The Jepp courses are good but It just depends on your learning style. I did not have very good luck with the Sporties course with my style of learning. It's the King courses from now on for me.
Brian Wallis
AP/IA commercial pilot
Chief Dishwasher
RV-4 Fastback wannabe
AA-1A Driver

Last edited:
Take this for what it's worth:

I decided to give Sportys IFR videos a try. I wish I had bought Kings. If you can't afford King's, save your money or use it for more ground school with the instructor. Words can't adequately describe how mind numbingly boring and slow paced the Sportys videos are. Maybe it works for some but I found my attention drifting to various things (such as my dog trying to get the fake marrow out of his chew bone), praying and hoping the host would get on with it and either make a point or hand out a nugget of information.

For example, everytime you mention that something makes you go down, it isn't nescessary to also mention that the exact opposite makes you go up and then re-explain the whole "go-down" theory in reverse for the "go-up" theory. As another example, everytime you mention that something makes you go right, it isn't nescessary to also mention that the exact opposite makes you go left and then re-explain the whole "go-right" theory in reverse for the "go-left" theory. Then they show you a graphic of an arrow, visually reinforcing the "upness" or "leftness" of what they just said. Sometimes, they'll show you a random video of someone flying an airplane under the hood with an instructor. With some imagination, you can pretend that the instructor said something relevant though lip readers, I suspect, will be dissapointed in this regard.

Bored and irratated yet? Get used to it... That's just me being a little silly. There's 6 DVD's full of that kind of nonsense and hair pulling logic. If you can sit through one without screaming on the inside, you're a better man than I.

Kings. Buy-em used. Some of the FARs may be slightly out of date but that's the easy stuff. I just watched an OLD King IFR refresher that a buddy lent me last week. I learned more in that one video in a couple of hours than I did in You-Know-Who's whole course.....AND they were fun to watch.

I could go on but I'm probably already very close to Doug's over-the-line threshold. Still...this is just one man's opinion. I also despise cucumbers and watermellon. Most people love'em. I'm sure there are many that love Sporty's.

Last edited:
King v Sportys

I recently asked around about King v Sportys videos re private pilot course. (For my daughter who wants to be a Naval Aviator!)

Most folks, including instructors, endorsed the King over the Sportys.

One other thing, I think that the King course might only work on one computer, sort of an exclusivity/registration thing. I'm not sure how it goes, or even if it works. Point is, use a tad of caution if buying used video courses.

Maybe the King course I have is an older version (purchased 2001), because I could just not make it through the King CD's. They were all chopped up and the pictures didn't work half the time so you had to get out the book to figure out what the real question was. The ever changing talking heads, and Martha's voice, I just couldn't take it. About 3/4's of the way through I bailed.

I found that the Sportys DVD moved along well and made the info easy to digest. Much more of my way of learning. I'm not a memorize a list of stuff kind of person. It must be my ADD. Keeps me away from boring things.

If you want something to just get ready for the test questions, you want either the Gleim or Sporty's test prep software- it gives you'flashcards' or mock FAA tests.

For the Private, I used the Gleim. I just purchased the IFR from Sporty's last week for about $40. I figured it was worth a try since the FAA question database is public domain.

Well, the software itself isn't as good as the Gleim was. In fact, I had to re-install because the question bank limited itself to the same 20 questions on the first try. Their tech support was clueless (but very responsive) and I almost sent it back. But I am a computer geek, so I first tried to re-install and now it works OK. I'll keep using it.

So, if you are a gambler (and cheap, like me), go for the Sporty's at $40 and buyer beware, or else try the Gleim at around $60. If I had to do it over, I'd go Gleim.

I also have been using the King DVDs to supplement my ground instruction. I echo the above: boring, and that sexy Martha King is enough to make you just LISTEN, and not watch. I'm just glad I am doing a formal groundschool.

Good luck.
John

King over Sporty's if you want training for the knowledge test. Don't know about the others mentioned here. If you study the King videos, and take the practice tests, and have a body temp above 85F, you WILL pass the test the first time.

Go with Kings

I agree the jokes are corny but the King stuff is really good if you want to understand what you are suppose to be learning instead of just memorizing the answers to the test questions.

Who cares what Martha looks like, this is not about that, it is about learning and understanding what is needed to be a great IFR (or other rating) pilot, not just passing the test.

Back in the early 90's I took and passed my I, COM, FOI, & FI written test by just memorizing the Gleim books. IMO, I truly knew little to nothing about the subjects and the real meat behind those questions. This go round, I will be using the King material to get ready to retake the instrument written.

What, 364 VFR flying days a year ain't enough for ya? Or are you moving up here to Seattle??

King videos

I bought the King videos.

Very good overall product. Must be making the Kings really rich since the technology is from the mid 1990s. They apparently only update portions of the videos when required. For grins watch John King's hairline recede (and comeback) during the course of the videos.

Clearly designed to talk to the test questions as there are several places in the videos that cover some topic that is very very specific while leaving other areas uncovered.

I scored a 90% on the test based almost entirely on watching the videos and taking the practice tests.

You certainly could buy one of the test review books and pass the test for a whole lot less money.

On the licensing issue:

There is nothing in the technology to prevent you from using the King product for more than one user (or getting a used copy). The legal license however prevents it and getting tech support from King Schools is not allowed since each copy has a serial number.

I asked if my son could use the product after I was done with it but King said the license was specifically for one user.

Bruce
N297NW

Job requirements

Davepar said:
What, 364 VFR flying days a year ain't enough for ya? Or are you moving up here to Seattle??

I'm going to fly helicopters for AirEvac. Despite having all hourly requirements and a Commercial rotorcraft they still want the IFR ticket. I wanted to get the IFR anyway. I'll do an add on for the heli and go to work. I'd like to knock it out in a couple of months.

BTW, only about 360 VFR days here. 3 of the 5 that we don't fly are because of wind :D

Gleim

I went with the Gleim Test Prep Software/Books.

I could barely endure the corniness of the Kings; but Martha's Minnie-Mouse-scratch-your-nails-on-a-chalkboard-til-you-draw-blood-voice :eek: just put me over the edge. Good material, but I couldn't stand listening to the woman's voice.

Bought the Kings

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the King IFR test prep. Interestingly when you hit the "add to cart" button it then offer you the rest of the IFR package for $99. Normally it would be $589.

I had a previous King video and Martha King is very annoying. Hopefully I can get through it without barfing. And he is the Mister Rogers of aviation. But they are corny alright, all the way to the bank!!!!

Darwin, glad to hear you're doing this!! It's some of the best training you can get IMOH! Get through the bookwork and written, then ENJOY the flying! I remember thinking when I did mine..."This sucks, I'll never get it." Then one day, it all just clicked!!! I loved every minute of it from then on. That point is fairly early on, so press on, and you'll have it before you know it! ;) :cool:

I did 50 questions a day from this web site while practicing for my written
http://www.exams4pilots.org/faatest.cgi
Then I took a weekend course and took the test on Monday. Missed 3, one which I never should have....the one about the violence of air mass vs squall line t-storms
For those that are interested I am up to 9 hours actual in 14 months, hard to do in the SW. An autopilot is a must.
Jeff Farrar RV8A N4ZJ 830 hrs

Back