What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When did you start flying?

At what age did you start logging time towards your first pilot license?

• < 16 (Will pump gas for stick time!)

Votes: 100 16.1%
  • 16 - 20 (Dating? When there's flying to be done?!)

Votes: 156 25.1%
  • 21 - 30 (Living on pizza, soda...and Avgas!)

Votes: 181 29.1%
  • 31 - 40 (First mortgage or first airplane....let's see...)

Votes: 103 16.6%
  • 41 - 50 (Kids College Fund or airplanes...Hmmmm)

Votes: 53 8.5%
  • 51 - 60 (I've waited long enough!)

Votes: 25 4.0%
  • 61 - 70 ("You better find something to do if you retire!!")

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • > 70 (Congratulations!!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
OK, just a frivolous thought that came up while driving to work this morning... I wonder at what age folks around these forums actually started flying. Let's define that a bit more precisely (for those who had flying parents that propped them up on phone books at the age of two....) - when did you start logging time for your first license?

I'm sure that we have people who came to flying early, middle-aged, and late....just curious what the distribution might look like!

I started flying right after 9/11. I realized there were things I wanted to get done in my life, and so did those people in the Twin Towers. Not that I was scared of terrorists, I just thought it was time I got busy living. Kids were out of the house and though college. I took an intro flight in a Quicksilver and I was hooked.....right after I threw up!)

I was 46, and never flew a small plane before. Started with ultralights, then sport planes, now RV's, looking for a small jet. I think I'm addicted.:eek:

I got my ticket when I was 27. I had always wanted to do it, but could never afford it. I grew up about 1NM off the approach end of runway 1 at RMG in Rome, GA. Runway 1 has an ILS so it was generally the preferred runway so we always saw the planes coming in. I always wanted to fly but there was no way my family could afford it. In college I was living off of peanut butter sandwiches so again there was no way to afford it. After college I bought a house (because IMHO renting was so unfavorable at the time). Eventually I just decided that it would never make financial sense and I just decided that I had to do it. You can't rationalize it -- you just have to do it.

I was very aviation oriented when I was in high school and would have started flying lessons after graduating except for two things: 1. I was broke, and 2. I got sidetracked skydiving for 15 years. I finally got burned out on the skydiving and starting taking flying lessons. Finished in 4 months and started building the -8 about 5 months after that.

Finally got it right. :D

Karl

Well, my dad used to take me to Witham Field when I was a toddler to see the Grumman airplanes roll out of the factory. F-14's, A-6's, Gulfstream III's...

My first airplane ride was in a friend's Piper Seneca when I was 4. Still remember it vividly!

I started logging time toward my private at the age of 21 in the spring of 1999.

Great thread Paul!

:cool:

The Ice Cream Did It.

When I was a young kid, once in a while my parents would take us out to Plymouth, MI for ice cream at Guernsey's. There was a small airport, Plymouth Mettetal (1D2), near by and we would sit by the side of the runway, eat ice cream and watch the planes take off and land. I was hooked right then.

I was 18 when I got married. About a year later, we moved to an apartment on the downwind for 18 at 1D2. Again, I would go to the airport and watch the planes. I couldn't stand it anymore, visited the FBO and picked up my Cessna Private Pilot course and scrimped for a while to pay for lessons.

I had a good friend named Bill, whose girl friend was going to school at Northern Michigan University. It's in Marquette, on the shores of Lake Superior in Michigans Upper Penninsula. It is a very long drive. My friend, Bill, started taking lessons, too. Before long, Bill and I owned a 1965 Skyhawk, financed by Bill's father. As slow as the Skyhawk was, it was much faster than driving to Marquette.

We had that plane for about 5 years. As is so common, work and family kept us from flying often. Bill and I had always said that if you don't fly often, you shouldn't fly at all. So we sold the plane. That was 1980.

I didn't fly again until August of 2001. I got current and was working on getting proficient when 9/11 hit. The airport was closed except for IFR for a while. I got out of the habit of going to the airport, but never lost the urge to fly.

Two years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes. It took a while to get everything past the FAA, but I was finally issued a medical and I'm starting to get back to flying again.

I started building my RV9A about a year ago, just rolled the canoe a few weeks ago. I figure it's time to learn to fly again so I can use the plane when it's finished.

Sometimes itches never go away. All you can do is scratch them.

I got real interested around the age of 14. I soloed on my 16th birthday.

The FBO wanted a newspaper story for the checkride on my 17th birthday. That day turned out to have not so nice weather with a 1,000 foot overcast. The FBO owner was also the check pilot and he wanted the publicity so we went ahead and did the ride that day.

For the instrument portion of the check he told me to just enter the clouds so that is what I did. We did much of the checkride, including steep turns and stalls in IMC. At the time I thought we must be breaking some rules considering there was no IFR flightplan or clearance or anything. Now I know we didn't break any rules at all. Anyone know why?

16th Birthday

My dad and I were driving to the DMV on my 16th birthday. He wanted to stop by the airport on the way. He said he needed to book a rental for the upcoming week. When we got there, he introduced me to MY flight instructor and I had my first lesson. WOW what a day. First flight and a drivers license by the end of the day. I had my ticket before the end of high school.

Skip forward about thirty years, and it has now been over 25 years since I was PIC. I'm building a 9A, and need to get current. I have heard similar stories from lots of other builders. By the time my bird is ready to fly... I will be to.

Worked at the Truro flying club in Nova Scotia Canada at 19 yrs of age while getting my licence. Moved to the arctic (Yellowknife NWT) and worked for a regional airline, and got quite a bit of stick time on DC 3s, Twin Otters, Otters , Beavers, C185s etc. Got a job as an aircraft rescue firefighter, got married, had kids, got divorced all of that stuff. I flew when I had time or could afford to all through the years. Like everyone else on this site, aviation thoughts or activities consume a part of each day, hope it stays that way forever. :)

Age 13 or 14

Sailplanes make flying young even better. I soloed a Switzer 2-33 before I soloed the family car. Sometimes I wouldn't mind going back to those days when the only things I had to do were go to school and fly!

When I was a young kid, once in a while my parents would take us out to Plymouth, MI for ice cream at Guernsey's. There was a small airport, Plymouth Mettetal (1D2), near by and we would sit by the side of the runway, eat ice cream and watch the planes take off and land. I was hooked right then.

I was 18 when I got married. About a year later, we moved to an apartment on the downwind for 18 at 1D2. Again, I would go to the airport and watch the planes. I couldn't stand it anymore, visited the FBO and picked up my Cessna Private Pilot course and scrimped for a while to pay for lessons.
Funny, not only is 1D2 where I learned to fly but I lived in those aprtments when I first moved to Plymouth after getting out of WMU in 84.

Small world.

(Not that Bill)

Since you live in NM, I'd wager that the flight was conducted in uncontrolled airspace, thus no clearance was required to fly in IMC.
That's it, but it wouldn't be feasible today because there are only small pieces of uncontrolled (Class G) now, above 1,200 feet AGL.

In the past, I have gotten quite a few e-mails from well meaning people after I posted a photo or an experience to the effect that I shouldn't be revealing my law breaking. Usually these come from bad assumptions or not understanding the regulations.

One person told me I shouldn't be talking about flying at 17,500 feet. Since I didn't mention my oxygen system, the assumption was that I don't have one. Others have said I was flying too close to clouds. The assumption there might be that you are VFR in Class E airspace. Even VFR it is perfectly legal and safe to fly within 5 feet of a cloud under the right circumstances.

Yep, I got bit by the flying bug pretty early. I think at around 10 yrs old my twin brother and I knew we wanted to fly... Dad took pity on us and let us start lessons at 15 (thanks Dad!). We soloed on our 16 B'day, Pvt checkride on our 17th B'day, Inst at 17, Comm/CFI at 18. We took our ATP checkrides at 22 but had to wait until our 23rd B'day to turn in the paperwork to get the certificates. Now we're 38 and both airline captains...

I wonder; what ever shall I do for a job should I decide to grow up??

Starting young

My dad was a Captain for Braniff Airways. We built models together, flew free flight and control line models and he took me for my first real ride in an Aeronca Champ at Tims airpark in Austin when I was 4 or 5. Got my license in 68, and approx 24000 hours later of general aviation, corporate, Military and airline flying, I still love every minute of it. AND, I still learn something almost everytime I fly.

I selected the 41-50age group poll, as that's what my logbook says which I started in Jan 2005. But only because I lost my first logbook in which I had logged 0.5hrs and passed my written in 1979 as part of an Aerospace Science class my senior year. WOW almost 26yrs between lessons, hopefully I can stay focused on building this RV.:D

At 17, I was able to trade my services as a computer tech to the local FBO in exchange for the first few hours. Then college hit and I lost my log book. Started over with a few more hours at 20, then after college have been doing a few hours a year, just to keep me from missing it too much. Still haven't solo'd, but i'm in no rush. The plan is to complete the PPL in the fall of 2008, and then spend 2009 doing advanced work with an instructor - acro, unusual attitude, tailwheel, etc. Then off to Mike Sieger before the big first flight. Target is for 150 hours before the test flight.

I know this doesn't seem like a lot, but I will cross that bridge when i get to it. The main piece of thinking here is that many low time pilots are at thier best immediately after thier PPL, then time takes it toll, and the next 100 hours can be tricky. I figure if i just hit it hard for 1-1.5 years, then I should be on the top of my game, though a bit lacking in actual stick time.

The Summer of my youth

I was 17, had just graduated from high school, and didn't know what I really wanted to do in life. I had two uncles who worked at a small airport called Moraine Air Park near Dayton, Ohio. One of them suggested I work there for the summer. What great memories...

I worked for room and board, 30 bucks a week, and as much free flying time as I could fit in based on aircraft and instructor availability.

My job as a line-boy included fueling, parking, and washing airplanes. The airport owner also ran an Air-Ad service, so I put together banners and helped deploy them from the hook poles.

My uncles flew in the 2-ship "Red Baron" show at King's Island - in Waco and Stearman Bi-Planes. Got to help re-cover a couple of wings that summer - and got a couple of open cockpit rides.

Uncle "Jimmy" was also a Wing-Walker who worked the airshow circuit with a pilot named Darrell Montgomery. I didn't do any of that. But washed that big ol' Waco bi-plane a lot of times.

My instruction that summer was given in Citabrias and Decathalons. My first solo was in the Citabria. I think I only logged one hour in a Cessna 150. Not used to the throttle and carb heat being on the wrong (right) side, I accidentally pulled the mixture knob instead of the carb heat during a "simulated" engine out. Got to experience a real engine out on that one - and performed my first ever dead stick landing.

Got my first experimental ride in a "Breezy" flying the "river run" with a guy who was a paraplegic (Vietnam Injury). His airplane was modified with all hand controls and he sat in the rear seat. That was a wild ride that never made it to pattern altitude. I think I had a Breezy-grin going for two days after that.

I got my first taste of whiskey and women that summer... both, quite intoxicating...

I went on to college that Fall and didn't get back to flying lessons and my license until I was 35.

I've always worked on and around airplanes but never really thought about building one for myself until about 2 years ago. Now that task is underway and maybe I'll be flying the RV-7 before I'm 50!

Ahh memories!

First flight was in 8/1990, PVT in 4/1991 in Van Nuys, CA.

Moved back to Boston, and life got in the way of flying. I was also not comfortable flying so infrequently and felt that to really do things right you needed to stay quite current just for safety's sake. My last logbook entry currently is 12/1991, for a whopping grand total of 77 hours.

I am dreaming more and more if it daily and am going to go back and rent for a while, but the thought of constructing an RV is appealing. My main concerns will be the cost/hangar fees, etc, etc but that is taking this thread off topic ;)

Anyone have a flying RV-9A in the New England area they would be willing to show off?? Wait, better not get a taste, I might get pulled in!

Jeff

Rapidly Approaching the big -40- in a couple of months.

Last edited:
I designed and scratch built hundreds of models airplanes from 12 to 18 and my dad was a military then corporate pilot so my future was pre-ordained pretty much. I was fortunate to fly with him in DC-3s, PA-31Ps and King Air E90s many times when someone else was paying the bills. Now he flies with me and I pay the bills!

Aerobatics and dogfighting in a Chipmunk sealed my fate at 16 on my birthday. I got my PPL in '79 at 18.

I made Eagle Scout in 1969 and put down I wanted to fly for a living. BSA gave me my first flight lesson for making Eagle. 11 years later, no $$$, got Private. 9 years later, Instrument. Then at at 51, got a break to finally fly for a living. Changed careers and now fly a C-425, Conquest I. Been doing that 2 years and building a RV7. My new bride, as of last weekend, has been helping me build for a year while dating and loves to fly. :):):)

1970 or 71, age 22/3. I didn't have the financial resources before that. I started with gliders, but to save $$$, I switched to powered flight.

But, my interest if flying went back many years before that--------I started with model airplanes when I was 5 or so---------stupid little plastic things attached to strings, that could not keep themselves in the air!!!! Eventually moved on to balsa/tissue free flights, then to R/Cs and now to R/Vs.

But, even before that, as I was born at March Air Force Base, and lived under the landing approach, my parents used to point out the planes flying over----"LOOK, AIRPLANE"!!!

Anyone want to take a guess as to what my first word was???

First ride in the back seat of a Cessna Cardinal when I was 3 months old, started lessons when I was 15, soloed the week I turned 16, and had my license at 17. Through college I got my Instrument, Commercial, Multi, and CFI.

I'm now 25, CFII/MEI, and my full time "job" is instructing...tough job!! :D

Other than starting out in a booster chair in a -182, my first actual "logged" time was when I was 14 years old when I attended a flight camp and got 1/2 hour in a Cherokee 140. I started logging hours consistently with my instructor when I was 16.

I'd have to say some of my most fond memories of flying were with my grandpa when I was still about the age of 14/15 he would stick me in the front of his super cub and we'd go around the patch a few times!

Pilot By Mistake

I was working maintenance at my current job about eight years ago, a corporate flight department. There was a spam can in the back of the hanger. The owner said "have you ever thought about learning how to fly"? I said no. He said " why don't you use that plane and learn how to fly". Wow, never even thought of flying. I better take advantage of this. A once and a lifetime opportunity. After a few lessons I was hooked. Bought my rv6 kit before I received my private. I used the spam can for the private and instrument. Rented a Seminal for the multi. I didn't have enough hours for the commercial at that time. I rented a old beat up Dutches for the commercial. One of the engines on the dutches had 2700 hours SMOH. Two nav coms in the panel and that was it. I look at all these new panels with the EFISs and I just think of the Dutches, but that is a whole other thread. Now that I look back at it I should of spent the time and money on the RV rather advanced pilot ratings. I am a recreational flyer at heart. Oh ya, the 6 is still not finished. Waiting for the engine to be delivered.

Aaron

wellllll

i started on the wing kit and realized i was missing out on hunting and cycling so i figured "i'd better go and get a pilots license just in case i dont like this i can quit now.:rolleyes:".
well it was cool so i kept building. however i still wonder but you guys keep me going and my dad always said dont start if you are not gonna see it through.

I had about 20 hours in gliders 25 years ago but work and lack of money grounded me until I was 50, about 5 years ago. I then jumped in with both feet. My first SEL lesson was Aug '02, got my PP in Jan '03, Instrument Oct '03 and Commercial Jan '05. Since I started building, I've been doing a lot less flying but I hope to rectify that situation within 6 months.

As a 20 year old "Airdale," I was fresh out of boot camp and newly assigned to NAS Barbers Point, Hawaii. By chance, I overheard and quickly joined a conversation among two fellow sailors who were taking flying lessons with an Air Force sergeant who kept a training plane at Honolulu International Airport. For days, that mental image dominated my thoughts. Soon, I made my way to his location. With all of 10 minutes TT strapped into the left seat of the first light plane I ever sat in, the well worn Piper Colt had a dead battery. Sergeant Spence Heywood unbuckled himself from the right seat, got out and instructed me lean on the brakes while he hand propped it. Deathly afraid of fouling up and thinking to myself "You mean these are the brakes?" my knees were visibly knocking in primal response. Still, taking the flight controls for the very first time in my life...and over beautiful Pearl Harbor of all places...was all it took to set the flying hook in me forever.

Last edited:
At age 17 back in 1970 my first year at college. My dorm buddy, who grew up on a farm in Illinois with a J-3 behind the house in a field took me out to the Southern Illinois Airport via hitchhiking for my first lesson.

free as a bird

I started hangliding in 1984 (I still do it to this day) then when the family came along I moved onto microlights in 1992 (didn't have the time to go out chasing the wind!). Then I took my pilots license in 1999, so I've been around flying for some time now.

Martin

I started flying just after turning 16. I worked as an assistant to the flight school's mechanic over the summer, and then as a dispatcher, and paid the way through most of my training. I skipped school on my 17th birthday to take my checkride. ;) I wrote an article about it on my little parenting/personal website, which you can read, if you want. Warning: It's long!

20070731_04.jpg

I'm such a dork, but I'm pretty sure we're allowed to be after our first flight on our own!

Flyin' Solo - Blast From The Past

When I was little, I always begged my parents to let me taking flying lessons. I remember living in Worcester, Massachusetts, driving by the airport, seeing little handmade signs for lessons, and asking every time. I was always told “when you’re 16, you can go take lessons”. I can’t imagine that the incoherently scribbled advertisements helped my cause, but they were the only tangible reminder of my “dream”. Anyway, when I was 13, we moved down to Florida, and without seeing the signs every day, I stopped asking.

Fast forward a few years. I was 16, and a friend started talking about the lessons he was taking. Yes, lessons. Flying lessons. Instantly, Beggar Mike, the Sequel, began filming. Every day I’d ask, and receive the same nauseating response. Finally, I asked point-blank why they had promised me lessons at 16, and were now not following through.

“We lied.”

That was it. My dreams were crushed, and I could no longer go on. Or, so they thought. A few days after being told the truth, I took matters into my own hands. With a few hundred dollars of what I had made in one mutant year of web design job after web design job, I skipped school, my provoking friend in tow, and headed to the airport. If they weren’t going to let me fly, I was going to do it on my own. I plunked down my $99 for a discovery flight, watched the videos they told me to watch, and waited around for an available instructor and airplane.

The details aren’t important. The first flight was, as I anticipated, amazing! I was hooked, and I was going to fly. I brought my pilot logbook, my receipt, and my brochure home, and waited for my parents to get home. It was time to put it all on the line. After checking to make sure that my cajones were where they were supposed to be, I told them. I told them about skipping school. I told them about the videos, my instructor, my airplane (N744SP, my trusty C-172), and how I had the best day of my life behind their backs. I spilled the beans, and didn’t give a **** about the consequences. They could punish me, ground me for life, or lock me in a room filled with cockroaches and Rosie O’Donnell. It didn’t matter, I’d done it.

The events that occurred after my confession confused me at the time. They didn’t yell. They didn’t get pissed. And, much to my relief, they didn’t lock me in a room with roaches and Rosie. They sat there, and let me spew the magical details, and when I was done, they talked about how to get me through my training. I didn’t understand why it happened this way until recently. I realized, as a result of being a parent myself, that they were only testing me to see if I would take a stand for something that I really wanted. I did, and I was rewarded for it.

I soloed not long after my discovery flight. It was, and still is, one of the greatest achievements of my life. I picked up a job working at my flight school in exchange for flight time, and ended up skipping school again (with their approval, of course), to get my private pilot’s license on my 17th birthday, the youngest legal age for someone to become a licensed pilot. I will always be grateful for their help, and the fact that they believed in me, or more importantly, forced me to believe in myself.

The point is, many people focus on what their parents did wrong, and what they are going to do differently with their kids. Sure, they messed up, and guess what, so will you! Just be sure to realize that there are plenty of things they did that your kids will be lucky to experience, if you acknowledge them, and follow through.

Last edited:
I took an introductory flight at 14 years old, then started working at the local airport at 16. Soloed at 16, private license at 17, then off to college to finish all of my ratings. Moved back home at 19 and instructed in Tomahawks and Cherokees, and flew charter in Aztecs and Navajos until I was 22. Then I got hired to fly a King Air for a bank in Upstate New York for a year. At 23, I went to Piedmont Airlines and flew the Dash 8 for 3 years. JetBlue called in February 2001, and I have been flying the Airbus 320 since then.

Bought my first RV in 2003, and that has been the best flying I have done so far...

I just learned to fly this year!

Last year we found out that my wife was pregnant - with twins. I sat her down and had a "how much do you love me" talk and said I had to get this done BEFORE we had the twins. I started lessons in December - in Vermont. I knew that eventually I want to build a RV8 so I looked for an instructor that taught tailwheel. I found Northern Lights in Alburg Vermont and I got a Sport Pilot license 4 days after my twins were born (twins June 26th ticket June 30th). I've gotten a medical so I'm sort of a "private pilot student" - but with the Sport pilot ticket I can take friends up in the J3 cubs I've learned on (regular cub and a clip wing model!). I'm up to about 65 hours of tailwheel time so far this year and have introduced about 9 other people to the fun of flying in a cub! I have to start that conversation about building an airplane sometime soon!

I started flying RC helicopters at 13 with my dad. The guys we met flying r/c were real pilots and convinced both of us to start flying real planes. I took my first flight lesson at 15, soloed before I got my driver's license at 16, and took my private checkride at 17.

During college, I got a full time job to pay for school so I could use my college fund to start paying for my RV-7. I also managed to knock out an instrument rating and more recently my commercial ticket. That's worked out nicely... now I'm 25 and my boss pays for just about all of my flying (at the moment, this is mostly Cirrus and Bonanza time).

Paul
RV-7 N143JL... wrapping up the details (why are there so many details??)

1978 - Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde Air Squadron - RAF Bulldog trainer from Abbotsinch airport. Did 20 or so hours before picking up again at the Coventry Aeroplane Club in C152s where I got my UK PPL with Night and IMC ratings in 1988. Have been flying from Chapin Field (1B8) in C172s and a PA12 with the Cambridge Valley Flying Club in upstate New York since 1994. I finally took the US PPL test in 2004 thus removing the restriction on my US license requiring me to keep my UK licence current! Life can be complicated.

By the way the initial RAF training was the best and has stood me in good stead ever since - many thanks to the UK tax payer!

Last edited:
you guys all make me feel old.

Started in Jan 1970 (age 20) in an Army TH-55, soloed in Feb, ad have been goofing off ever since.

Guess I actually got my FAA license in 1973 in Alaska while flying CH-47s out of Fairbanks-Fort Wainright.

Fixed wing rating came in 1985 or so.

Now I just bum around in "Miss Sue" whan I can

Soloed in 1971 at age 16 in my Dad's Champ. I still have the Champ which has been in my family since 1961. Moved on to a carreer in the downtrodden airline industry. I fly glass cockpits now but I'm looking forward to using elCheapo steam guages in my RV. You guys amaze me with the caliber of avionics ya'll put in your aircraft.

I started lessons last April after 30+ years of waiting and got my ticket in August. Thanks to my father for being a catalyst and asking me what I was waiting for. He also earned his ticket last summer at the age of 65.

TODR

Lots of great stories!

I worked at an airport growing up (LBX) and bummed rides in helos & airplanes whenever I could. One summer during college when I was working for NASA, I asked my credit card company to raise my limit from $500 to $3000. Reason: to get my pilot's license. Thankfully it was with Lockheed Credit Union & they happen to be interested in airplanes a bit. I flew nearly every day for 5 weeks either before or after work and had my license by the end of the 6th week. 22 years old.

It took the rest of the summer to pay off the credit card, but it was well worth it!

First solo at 16. Santa Ana airport (now John Wayne) Number 5 behind the air California 737... Caught his wake, went around. It all worked the next time.
Finally got the ticket freshman year in collage. Still learning after all these years. (and many thousands of hours)

We had an 800 ft grass strip on the farm, with two J-3 Cubs based there (uncle, and friend of the family). I got regular Cub rides from the time I was about 3 years old, and I was handling the controls as soon as I was tall enough to see outside. Dad got his license when I was about 12, and he bought a half share in one of the Cubs. I got my glider license when I was 16, and started working on my private license. The last spring of high school, I would skip class every nice afternoon and go flying in that Cub. Those were the days. No radio, no ATC. Climb to 300 ft for downwind, up to 500 ft if we were going to practice stalls, and all the up to 1500 ft for a spin - I didn't know any better - I sure wouldn't do this again today.

I've had my head in the clouds ever since I can remember, reading books, building plastic and R/C airplanes. First soloed when I was 17 in May '79 at Ford Island. Soloed again in Gliders in '83 at Dillingham, after I had my PPL.

Logged my first flight when I was 14 (coming up on 20 years ago...yikes). A few years later I dropped out of school and worked my butt off to get my license and buy an airplane (opposite order). Haven't looked back!

I was 20

I started logging PIC time when I was going through college. I was working three jobs, including 1 as a flight line boy filling tanks and tugging planes. I got a discount on the plane rental and instructor. Got my SEL license in about a year. I had alway wanted to fly, even as a kid. I "built" my first aircraft when I was about 6 out of scrap lumber. After I had the frame portion built, I told my mom to take me to the lumber yard to pick up the engine. Fast forward from college about 18 years to the present. I haven't logged PIC time in about a year, but I get to fly in big iron between the two pilots for a living, so it has quelled my itch. I have been lurking on this website for the last 5 years and did plan on building an RV9A, but I have just about convinced myself the RV12 is just what I need. Removable wings, bring it home. No storage fees. :D
I have build the practice toolbox and about half way finished doing the airfoil.

I logged my first flight time at age 20 on 10-20-1977 in a Piper Cherokee 140 (N5760F) while I was attending college. I got hooked, joined the Civil Air Patrol (Cessna 150 @ $10/hour wet) and got my ticket on 8/2/1978 after 40.2 hours total time. I flew regularly for a few years then got married, had kids, etc. and haven't flown much since. Both kids are now grown so now I'm building an RV-7 and plan to get current, get taildragger time, etc. by the time I'm finished. I'm now living (continuing) a dream I've had for 30 years.

Soloed at 25, but .....

I was born and raised on Air Force bases all over the US. Couldn't sleep if the engines stopped running during the night! I always wanted to learn to fly, but it wasn't really possible for an Air Force Brat with four brothers and sisters, moving every other year. It had to wait until I got through college and out on my own. Started flying hang gliders (what a rush!!!), then gliders, then finally took the plunge and started training in a C150. Six months later, 45 hours and I was a brand new private pilot. I immediately sat down with my instructor and asked him, "What's next?" He looked at me funny and said, "Well, take your friends and family flying!" I said "No, I mean what do I train to do next?" He helped me map it out --- 14 months later I had my Instrument, Commercial, Multi completed, ten months later got my CFI/CFII/CFI-ME, and started working as a flight instructor and charter pilot. Ten months after that, I had my ATP ---- and then got offered a job as an air traffic controller, to help replace those that went out on strike. 24 years as an air traffic controller, part time instructing along the way, and now I'm a UAV pilot and instructor. I guess you could say that aviation is in my blood.

Howard Long

16th Birthday Present

My 16th birthday present from my parents was flying lessons. I got my ticket when I was 17. Then college, work and real life took over and I haven't flown much for quite a few years (~15). At least now I'm working on a 7 and that's motivated me to try my best to set aside enough cash to get current and stay that way.

I started my lessons on October 1 1973 soloed on Oct 12, 1973. My goal was to be a commercial pilot until the doc told me that my color imparment cancelled that plan, I took my wife, Karen, on our first date on Nov 10, 1974. Flew active for a while until the kids started in 1978 while I was in tech school. I stopped flying when my budget could not keep up with the deterioration of my flying skills renting spam cans. After a gazillion years of flying R/C aerobatics at the FAI Level I had no idea what I was missing until We started building our RV7A in June 2001. Karen and I believe this is the best thing outside of our family that has happened to us. More because of the people involved with the RV's than the plane. The planes speak for themselves.
Karen has pounded (I bucked) every 2 man rivet on the plane, (Not a single dent) and is halfway through her license.
Painting , final assembly, inspection left.

Gord Jack
RV-7A
C-FRVN
CYXS
any time now!

Back