What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECI Titan: documentation/support

bill.hutchison

Well Known Member
I've spent the last hour on the phone and stabbing at search engines (including here) and I'm not sure I've got what I need.

My -6A has an ECI Titan O-360-A4B1N motor.

While I have the engine logs (which are complete) I decided having a parts catalog, operator's manual, etc would be a good idea as I start learning more about the airplane and taking care of it.

Since Continental bought ECI I called them after having no luck on their website finding anything for my motor. The man on the other end of the phone said that even though they bought ECI, I'd need Lycoming manuals and "any Lycoming O-360 manual would be okay."

He knows more than I do for sure, but I'm a little bit skeptical because there are so many variants and these things matter.

So I start digging on Lycoming's website, and I get closer....there are some O-360 manuals that go down to the -A4A variant but nothing on the -B - and then they go past that. Here's the link I found for operator's manuals:
https://www.lycoming.com/content/op...O-360-IO-360-AIO-360-HIO-360-TIO-360-60297-12

The parts catalog again goes to -A4A and then past that to -A4G...so I'm guessing at least the parts catalog is okay but I'm still not sure about the operator's manual.

I just want some parts lists and diagrams so as I go through my engine familiarizing myself with the components I know what I'm looking at, and it gives me a launch point for further research as I learn about what I'm doing.

Am I reading all this correctly?

Had this info in some old tech sheets don't know if it is still current. but I would imagine it is.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
Base Engine
O 100% Certified Parts, set up for Carbureted System
OX Set up for Carbureted System, Experimental (Tapered Fins)
IOX Injected Experimental (Includes ECI FIS W/Fuel Pump)

Displacement
320 321 cubic inches (150-160 hp)
340S 340 cubic inches using a stroked 320 crankshaft (180-190 hp)
360 361 cubic inches (168-200 hp)

Crankshaft
A Constant Speed (Var. Pitch); Hollow Main Crankshaft
B Fix. Pitch; Hollow Main Crankshaft
D Solid Main Crankshaft (Not for 340S)

Crankcase & Mount
1 Crankcase with Dynafocal Type 1 Engine Mount
3 Crankcase with Conical Engine Mount
4 Crankcase with Dynafocal Type 1 Engine Mount & Thrust Washer Mod.
6 Crankcase with Conical Engine Mount & Thrust Washer Mod.

Accessory Drive & Oil Sump
A Bottom-Mount Hot Induction Sump; Impulse Coupled Magnetos
B Bottom-Mount Hot Induction Sump; Retard Breaker Magneto
E ECi Finned Cold Induction Sump; Impulse Coupled Magnetos (Not for 320)
F ECi Finned Cold Induction Sump; Retard Breaker Magneto (Not for 320)
G ECi Un-finned Cold Induction Sump; Impulse Coupled Magnetos
H ECi Un-finned Cold Induction Sump; Retard Breaker Magnetos
J Bottom-Mount Hot Induction Sump; 2 Non-Imp Mags (for Elect. Ign. ONLY!)
K ECi Finned Cold Induction Sump; 2 Non-Imp. Mags (for Elect. Ign. ONLY!)
L ECi Un-finned Cold Induction Sump; 2 Non-Imp. Mags (for Elect. Ign. ONLY!)

Cylinders & Pistons
1 Parallel Cylinder; AEL75089 Piston (8.5:1) (Not for use with 340S)
2 Parallel Cylinder; AEL75413 Piston (320 7:2, 360 7.2:1, 340S 9:1)
9 Parallel Cylinder, AEL15357 Piston (9:1) (Not for use with 340S)

Cylinder Bore
N Nickel+Carbide Coated Steel Cylinder Barrel
S Thru-hardened Steel Cylinder Barrel

Spark Plug Size
none 2 18mm spark plug bosses
1 1 14mm spark plug boss in top; 1 18mm in bottom (Experimental Only)
4 2 14mm spark plugs bosses (Experimental Only)

Did ECi actually have its own operators manuals for kit built engines? I recently acquired an RV-8 with what the builder listed as an ECi IO-360-A2A on the eligibility statement. There's no data plate or serial number on the engine and the logs list the S/N as "None." I have been e-mailing with Mr. Ball and he's sent along a few Lycoming documents. Am I to assume that ECi never published manuals? Initially I contacted him about converting from the fixed pitch prop I currently have on there back to the original constant speed. He was very helpful there. But now I'm looking at magneto timing and the Lycoming manual for the equivalent engine (IO-360-A series) lists certain serial numbers as having 20 BTC and others 25 BTC. Since the serials won't apply to ECi models, how do I know? Apparently being able to provide IO-360-A2A isn't enough to net me any documentation for my specific model. Anyone have any advice here?

Did ECi actually have its own operators manuals for kit built engines? I recently acquired an RV-8 with what the builder listed as an ECi IO-360-A2A on the eligibility statement. There's no data plate or serial number on the engine and the logs list the S/N as "None." I have been e-mailing with Mr. Ball and he's sent along a few Lycoming documents. Am I to assume that ECi never published manuals? Initially I contacted him about converting from the fixed pitch prop I currently have on there back to the original constant speed. He was very helpful there. But now I'm looking at magneto timing and the Lycoming manual for the equivalent engine (IO-360-A series) lists certain serial numbers as having 20 BTC and others 25 BTC. Since the serials won't apply to ECi models, how do I know? Apparently being able to provide IO-360-A2A isn't enough to net me any documentation for my specific model. Anyone have any advice here?
You need clarification on your actual engine model!!!!! Lycoming IO-360-A series engines are 200HP slant valve engines. ECI IO-360-A series engines are parallel valve 180 HP variants. The Lycoming version is not what you have. You are confused about the equivalent engine models to each other. Its a common misconception. Lycoming never really made a fuel injected 180HP down draft engine. So most, in the experimental world, think that an O-360-A1A with fuel injection, instead of a carb, is an IO-360-A1A. For purposes of making or designating an experimental engine model that may be the case but for purposes of comparing to a Lycoming engine model it isn't! What you have is an O-360-A series that has been converted to use fuel injection and you should use the parts catalog and engine specs for an O-360-A series engine with the exception of fuel supply, not a Lycoming IO-360-A1A as you are trying to do. The Lycoming IO-360-A1A is a totally different animal then what you have. Stock ignition timing for your engine, a 180HP parallel valve engine, is 25 degrees BTDC. It is very confusing for a non engine experienced person but that is just the way it is. Hope this helps!
Good Luck,
Mahlon

I'm following this thread with interest since I have the following engine and would like some confirmation:

Mine is a ECI, 360, parallel-valve, 180hp engine with hot sump, vertical airflow performance, mechanical fuel injection and dual p-mags ignition.

At OSH one year, I asked a now retired, long-time ECI test stand technician which Lycoming performance chart should I use. He told me my engine was roughly equivalent to the Lycoming, IO-360B1B, and to use the Lycoming, IO-360 B Series chart, which I believe is the C-12850 chart.

For what it's worth.

You need clarification on your actual engine model!!!!! Lycoming IO-360-A series engines are 200HP slant valve engines. ECI IO-360-A series engines are parallel valve 180 HP variants. The Lycoming version is not what you have. You are confused about the equivalent engine models to each other. Its a common misconception. Lycoming never really made a fuel injected 180HP down draft engine. So most, in the experimental world, think that an O-360-A1A with fuel injection, instead of a carb, is an IO-360-A1A. For purposes of making or designating an experimental engine model that may be the case but for purposes of comparing to a Lycoming engine model it isn't! What you have is an O-360-A series that has been converted to use fuel injection and you should use the parts catalog and engine specs for an O-360-A series engine with the exception of fuel supply, not a Lycoming IO-360-A1A as you are trying to do. The Lycoming IO-360-A1A is a totally different animal then what you have. Stock ignition timing for your engine, a 180HP parallel valve engine, is 25 degrees BTDC. It is very confusing for a non engine experienced person but that is just the way it is. Hope this helps!
Good Luck,
Mahlon

That was immensely helpful, thank you. So to make sure I have this right, as I (and more realistically, my A&P and I) cruise through the Lycoming manual that covers various types, I should be using the sections that refer to the O-360-A series only. And then reference the supplemental information I have regarding the fuel injection system. Am I getting that right?

Thanks so much!

Opps forgot about the IO-360-B1B. Yes that would be the closest performace wise and parts wise as long as you have precision FI. Or you could use the O-360-a1a and then use the FI info for the type you have.
Good Luck, Mahlon

Back