What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone using Plane Power 30A standby alternator on RV-8?

Gash

Well Known Member
I'm considering getting the Plane Power FS1-14 30 amp standby generator to mount on my RV-8's IO-375 with 90-degree oil filter adapter. I like the idea of 10 more amps (compared to the B&C SD-20) and the fact that I won't need the LR3C voltage regulator since the Plane Power model is internally regulated.

Is anyone using this new Plane Power standby alternator with their RV-8? What size spacer(s) do I need to avoid conflicting with my 90-degree oil filter adapter on the IO-375? Thanks very much.

Okay, as it appears that this is a fresh topic, I will periodically add information to this thread as I find out new things. Hopefully it will be a benefit to people in the future who do a search for Plane Power standby or aux alternator.

I called Plane Power regarding getting the FS1-14 to fit with a 90-degree oil filter adapter. Dick at support says that it should fit as long as there is no spacer or a maximum of spacer 3/4". He said it will be a tight fit, and I may even need to file a tiny bit of metal to get it in there, but it can be done.

I will post here again, with photos, after I get it all installed.

One more thing to note. I have the Vertical Power VP-X Pro in my RV-8. Luckily I was reading the VP-X installation manual before ordering my standby alternator. The manual says that if I use Plane Power's 30A backup alternator, I need to use the FS1-14B that allows for manually switching on, instead of the automatic FS1-14 which is not compatible with the VP-X.

Hi Karl,
I know this was a very old post but still relevant. I'm hoping your still out there.
I Have an IO-390 case with B+C 90 degree oil adapter. Does the FS1-14B vacuum mount alternator fit with the 90 degree adapter
I DO NOT have a spacer in my 90 Degree oil adapter.
thanks in advance,
cliff
RV-14A
Thorp T18

B&C SD-20, 410-H, and 425-H are actually 30A alternators

I'd like to point out:
  • The B&C SD-20, 410-H (the newer, slightly lighter, version of SD-20), and 425-H (a shorter version of 410-H) are actually 30A alternators at cruise RPM on Lycomings.
  • The larger 462-H main advantage is more current at low RPM.
  • Lycomings and Continental Titans have 1.3 drive ratio.
  • Traditional Continentals have 1.5 drive ratio.

I haven't found a data sheet for Plane Power/Hartzell/FlySafe FS1-14.

From the SD-20, 410-H, 425-H, and 462-H data sheets:

.Lycoming.......Vacuum Pad......SD-20, 425-H, or 410-H.......462-H
Engine RPM........RPM..............output @ 14.4 V..................output @ 14.4 V
...1538.............2000................15.....................................26
...1923.............2500................24.....................................29
...2308.............3000................29.....................................32
...2692.............3500................32.....................................35

Last edited:
B&C 410-H

Plus one in recommending the B&C 410-H. I installed one on my RV-8 and it fits nicely on the accessory drive pad next to a horizontal oil filter installation. Biggest issue was finding space behind the firewall to mount the VR.

Back