What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airplane Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unibit and razor

As Sam said, trim the case, unibit a hole for the ant connector, and use a razor to cut out for the DB-9. The db-9 will need to have the ears ground off to fit inside the case. The endcap plastic is pretty soft.....

Seems to work just fine.

Ham License Prep Book

Hank Avent sent me the following note, always good to save a few bux:

Thanks for all your help answering my questions. I want to mention that you can let folks know on the VAF website that they can get copies of The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual for $16.20 plus around $4.50 shipping at the ABEbooks website. Just google abebooks to access their website. I believe there are still about 20 copies at that price and several other booksellers there offering it cheaper than the $24.95 price at ARRL. I use this website for almost all of my book purchases b/c it's almost always cheaper. Take a look and see what you think.

This and the online tests should get you prepped quickly.

8 watt Micro Track Power

Just a reminder for those that will be going with the hi-power MicroTrak 8000. This unit is fussier about power and can't be hooked up directly to ships power per Michael Crowder's post # 4 above. The instruction manual (available at the byonics site) indicates bad things will happen if you push the thing to 14+ volts where our busses run.

Power supply for Micro-Trak

Gentlemen,

I am glad to hear that you are interested in using APRS transmitters in your aircraft! FYI, we will have a power supply capable of providing up to 5 Amperes (pulsed) for the Micro-Trak products in a week or so. This will be in the form of a 1 inch square board with a three screw terminal input/output connector. It will have mounting holes in all four corners.

A number of people have asked me about producing an aviation/marine version of the Micro-Trak 8000 FA. (the 10 Watt, programmable, frequency agile version of the Micro-Trak) This version would have a second DB-9 connector to remote mount (panel) the indicator LED's, configuration switch, hi/low power switch, and on/off switch. The PC board would have a high current voltage regulator on board, with a maximum power input of 30 Volts DC.

I would like out find out if you gents have any interest in this kind of device, and if you have any special design requests ( SMA connectors, BNC, blue LED's etc.)

If I can be of any service in regards to any Micro-Trak product, feel free to E-Mail, and I am happy to help out. ([email protected])

Best regards,

Allen R. Lord
VHS Products
www.byonics.com/microtrak

Hi Allen

I'll chime in. Most of our radios use BNC conncectors, so those are more familiar and might be in the spare parts box. The on-board regulator would be very nice as well.

Not sure on the remote panel. My wingtip install is very simple and "fire and forget" but some may like the ability to monitor/configure from the cockpit.

Neat little units - I really enjoy mine and feel it is a nice safety feature in the plane.

A number of people have asked me about producing an aviation/marine version of the Micro-Trak 8000 FA. (the 10 Watt, programmable, frequency agile version of the Micro-Trak) This version would have a second DB-9 connector to remote mount (panel) the indicator LED's, configuration switch, hi/low power switch, and on/off switch. The PC board would have a high current voltage regulator on board, with a maximum power input of 30 Volts DC.

That would certainly save me the effort of building or sourcing my own power supply, so yes I'd be interested. I personally don't have a strong desire to have any annunciation or control functions in the cabin, I just want the thing to run all the time.

My $0.02...

mcb

Gentlemen,

www.byonics.com/microtrak

Okay, at first I didn't get what is being offered here. Now that I read the TinyTrak3 manual and the config software I understand what Allen is offering here. This actually sounds really nice!

Here is how I envision it. On your panel you have an emergency switch and a corresponding emergency indicator light. The switch flips the Micro-Trak over to the secondary channel which you have pre-set for emergencies only. Basically, your unit would probably be powered on anytime the plane's master switch or avionics switch is turned on. During normal operation it would send the tracking messages with your N# as your call sign and your ham license and airplane make and such in the comments section that gets transmitted. So for example mine would say something like:

N107XX / (FCC callsign) Vans RV-7A [email protected] for tracking questions.
location/altitude/airspeed information here

Now where this thing becomes worth every dollar of the max $200.00 you spent on it is in an emergency. Engine failure, smoke in cockpit, fire, any of the things that will cause you to put her down in a remote, possibly hostile location. You reach forward flip the APRS emergency switch and your APRS unit stops sending the standard Hi nice to see your tracking me have a nice day type message, over to your preset EMERGENCY message which would be something like this:

N107XX - DECLARING INFLIGHT EMERGENCY - Notify emergency reponders to respond to:
location/altitude/airspeed information here

Now I know that most pilots would never have to use this feature, but just think what would have happened had Steve Fossett had this same setup. You could have he unit updating your position every 10 seconds until you come to a stop, and with the 10 watt unit you would probably get out with most the transmissions. With all the ham operators out there watching all day long for just such an event, you would have everyone and their brother reporting your dire situation. You would probably have first responders rolling to your location before you even touched down, well at least heading in the right direction.

This looks like a great option. It cost maybe $5 more than the wingtip installation for the panel switch and indicator light. I'm going to try out my wingtip version then play around with the above later on. I am just so glad this has come out, my biggest fear has always been ditching the plane, crawling out of it with minor injuries, but nobody finds me for a couple days. Up here in Minnesota anything more than a couple very short hours would be a death sentence in the winter.

Also, Allen, the owner of VHS Products mentioned to me via e-mail that he may soon come out with a registry for airplane operators with APRS to register their set-up. This is a great idea, Allen is involved in the Civil Air Patrol, who are the poeple that will come looking for you if you ever go down. Of course, if they were able to know in advance you had APRS and lookup your track before they started flying the search patterns for you, they would have you located in no time. Of course they have no idea if the downed aircraft has this lifesaving APRS device if there is not someplace for them to register it. He didn't say that he was committed to starting it yet, but is loioking into the site developement and such at this time. I thought this was a GREAT idea! May save a life someday!

Sam is Trackin'!!

Just seen on the web. Our own Sam B tracked Live!

2003138757821884442_rs.jpg

Last edited:
Sam's APRS is up and working!!

Pete mentioned that Sam would probably be out on his maiden voyage this morning, so I set up a window watching his home airport for any APRS movement. Like a silent stalker I sat back and watched, then at 2008-03-05 12:15:47 CST, N399SB went airborne and I sat back and observed his flight. Unbeknownst to Sam his every move was being watched! Its official, there is no more privacy, big brother can watch your every move now!

On a lighter note, looks like the unit is working great!

Pete mentioned that Sam would probably be out on his maiden voyage this morning, so I set up a window watching his home airport for any APRS movement. Like a silent stalker I sat back and watched, then at 2008-03-05 12:15:47 CST, N399SB went airborne and I sat back and observed his flight. Unbeknownst to Sam his every move was being watched! Its official, there is no more privacy, big brother can watch your every move now!

On a lighter note, looks like the unit is working great!

"Like a silent stalker"???? Kinda makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!! :D

It was great having you on the flight, Travis. Yep, there is no hiding now. The MicroTrak and belly-mounted 1/4 wave antenna worked superbly and I just can't get over the coolness of the APRS system.

I have updated the article on APRS to reflect today's flight:

http://thervjournal.com/tracker.htm

I think we are just beginning to see a population boom in trackers. Several of my local friends have stated an APRS rig is in their future and most, after seeing the map, say "I want one of those". I suspect my study guide is gonna look sort of dog eared pretty soon.

Just gotta remember that thing is runnin'...and be on my best behavior. ;)

Last edited:
Just gotta remember that thing is runnin'...and be on my best behavior. ;)

Yep... I recently noticed some other guy with APRS who was circling his house (well I assume his house), but nonetheless, a residential area in a very congested area at 900' AGL. Personally I don't really care, but someday, some airplane hater will complain to the FAA, who will in turn use his APRS to justify an enforcement action. It would be areal kick in the rear to get jammed up off your own tracker!!!

On a side note, I only harrased you today out of jealousy! Mine is almost done, but haven't taken the test yet so I have to live through your glory for today.

Yep... I recently noticed some other guy with APRS who was circling his house (well I assume his house), but nonetheless, a residential area in a very congested area at 900' AGL. Personally I don't really care, but someday, some airplane hater will complain to the FAA, who will in turn use his APRS to justify an enforcement action. It would be areal kick in the rear to get jammed up off your own tracker!!!

On a side note, I only harrased you today out of jealousy! Mine is almost done, but haven't taken the test yet so I have to live through your glory for today.

Maybe the trackers will make better pilots of us, nothing like knowing the whole world is watching your airmanship to keep you sharp (and legal)!!

Hope your tracker works well for you. You can blame Pete for coming up with the idea of sky-writing. :)

Calling Kevin Horton!!!

Ya see Travis, GPS altitude and altimeter altitude are often not the same. I know I was legal, as far as you know.......:cool:

Ya see Travis, GPS altitude and altimeter altitude are often not the same. I know I was legal, as far as you know.......:cool:

As long as you have the perseverence to maintain that story. But I'm thinking the hot lamp and the phone book will have you screamin a different story. But thats only assumin you did something wrong since I wasn't talking about you in the earlier post.

Hahahaha... Must be the guilty conscience...

I guess you just have to plan your bad acts out in advance and turn off the nav lights when you might be flirting with the regs a little!

This is easy! Don't put your N-Number on the APRS Id tag. Quite certain Feds don't cross-reference FCC database.

Yeah, GPS altitude is notorious for being grossly inaccurate....... :p

Actually, an error of a hundred feet or more in altitude is not very uncommon with some of the less expensive GPS units that are not WAAS enabled.

I kinda doubt that the inexpensive puck GPS that's commonly used is really that accurate when it comes to altitude reporting. I used to see altitude errors of up to 300' with my old GPS90 unit.

Last edited:
I'll have to dig out my ham license and see if it has lapsed. Looks like a fun project.

Edit: Found it and am good until 2012

KB5RRN

Mine has :mad: Will have to retest. At least I will only have to take one section and not the code.

Steve - WB9KJW, expired

Control Operator

Technically, you can use your November number as your call sign, and a licensed ham can use his call sign in the comment field of a tracker on your aircraft. The other ham is the licensed control operator and is legally in control of your transmitter. This means that "automatic" operation would be okay. Of course, if you needed to send the "emergency" icon, you would not need a ham license, since distress calls are permitted in any fashion on any radio service. That being said, go to Eham.com, take the practice test until you hit 80%, and find someone conducting a testing.

Allen
VHS

Free power supply for the first one to ask!

Here is the offer of the century! If you have a Micro-Trak 8000 transmitter (or the 8000 FA) be the first one to ask and I will send you my first production run power supply module to be my guinea pig, er, strike that, beta tester. I need someone to try it in a real aircraft to see if it is going to suit your needs.

Allen
VHS

ill take it

Please send it to me. I can install this weekend. Thanks Allen.

Last edited:
In addition to GPS data, it would be interesting to encode samples from the EFIS/engine monitor and store this information remotely. In effect, a cheap remote black box.

In addition to GPS data, it would be interesting to encode samples from the EFIS/engine monitor and store this information remotely. In effect, a cheap remote black box.

I don't know as much about the APRS data protocol as I need to, but there are limits as to what can be transmitted, both absolutely and practically. The trackers that most of us are using have a limit on how many chararcters can be transmitted with each beacon. Not only would that restrict the amount of info that could be included with the beacons, but there are efficiency and courtesy considerations as well. The longer and more complex the transmission, the less likely it will be reliably received due to frequency congestion. In certain locales there may be hundreds of trackers trying to beacon on a single frequency, and when our tracker is in competition with other trackers, the strongest signal wins. That is why you will often see a gap in our breadcrumbs where one of our beacons got stepped on by another tracker.

If we increase the length and complexity of our transmissions, the odds of getting smashed by a stronger tracker increases. It is true our airborne trackers can "see" much farther than those ground-bound, but many of the ground based trackers are outputting far more power than we.

Having said all that, someone much more educated in this stuff than I may very well be able to overcome these obstacles. The idea is intriguing, I just don't know how practical.

Telemetry

I have no idea what kind of data the EFIS spits out, but I am working with Byonics to produce a transceiver with a new controller called the TinyTrack 4, which will accept various analog and digital inputs and send them as data along with your position info. ( http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak4/) This could potentially provide the black box telemetry you are looking for. A transceiving Micro-Trak would of course allow you to see the position of other APRS transmitters on your (compatible) GPS receiver. The TT4 is available now, and software is under continuous development. The integrated TT4/ Micro-Trak is still a few months away.

I like the idea. Can you point me to where I might find info on EFIS communications? Although I have a GROL with Radar, (FCC commercial License) I know jack about avionics!

Allen
VHS

Brrrrrrrrrrr

Ok Pete, how cold was it at 8500' this morning in Minnysooooda? :D

pete.jpg

Allen, how can we get temperature included in the tracker data stream? Hmmmmmm, wonder if we could talk Dynon into spitting out winds aloft data in their serial output..........

Last edited:
%^&^%$# Cold!!

Hey Sam,

Alex P and I were up for a while. I am re-rigging the flaps in the quest for a knot or two.

I was actually at 9100 ft by local altimeter - wonder if this GPS reads a bit low.....

Anyway - it was -16C on the ground and I saw -22C on the Dynon once. Negative density alt.........Dual heat muffs and the electric seat on high kept me toasty.

I think I got a 2 kt increase, then Alex goes all reality on me and says I can't measure that. Hehe - I hate having a really smart guy as a hangar mate and flying buddy.

Now to drop the aileron bracket and get the TE's lined up again......and then fly to get more data....darn

I thought it interesting that the tracker dropped all of the packets during the TnG at Cambridge Muni. Obviously a "squeaker", eh? ;)

Squeaker

You are correct, sir!! - a squeaker - that's the ticket - :cool:

Actually, low level tracker coverage is not good at CBG - that serves to protect ham-fisted PIC's.............I really like CBG just for that reason.

Last edited:
Hey Pete,

How hard was it to pass the HAM test? Did you do any studying at all?

I've been considering taking the Technician Class test. My Father-in-Law is a big HAM guy and he'd love it if I got a license. Plus, Vertex makes a neat little handheld NAV/COM with a 2M band transceiver built in, which I've been considering buying as an in-cockpit backup.

I've even taken the practice test online a few times and can pass it 8 out of 10 times just going off of what seem like "common sense" answers to the questions. The only ones that throw me off are the ones that ask which bands certain frequencies are in, etc.

So anyway, how hard did you have to prepare to pass the test?

Hey Pete,

How hard was it to pass the HAM test? Did you do any studying at all?

I've been considering taking the Technician Class test. My Father-in-Law is a big HAM guy and he'd love it if I got a license. Plus, Vertex makes a neat little handheld NAV/COM with a 2M band transceiver built in, which I've been considering buying as an in-cockpit backup.

I've even taken the practice test online a few times and can pass it 8 out of 10 times just going off of what seem like "common sense" answers to the questions. The only ones that throw me off are the ones that ask which bands certain frequencies are in, etc.

So anyway, how hard did you have to prepare to pass the test?

Passing the test is easy cheezy if you follow the following rules:

* 30% of the questions are some variant of ohms law
* 30% of the questions are wavelength = 3e8 / freq <- this answers those questions on 'which band is 144Mhz in'
* 30% are HAM regs - you can learn these from just trying the web test or going to a local 'ham cram' day

I spent a couple of hours taking practice tests and went in and got a 90%.

KI6GII ;-)

Pretty Easy

Hi Jeff,

I just took about 10-15 practice tests online and then went to sit for the exam. You are right, a lot is common sense and you don't need to get a perfect score.

Here is a link to practice tests:

http://www.qrz.com/testing.html

Good luck!!

thread closed due to large number of messages

I have closed this thread so we can begin new threads about related subjects in our new APRS-specific forum. Please feel free to ask further questions or offer information by starting new threads in the "APRS Tracking" forum. This has been a great series of posts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back