What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D180/AP74 won't track on HDG 180

30752mr

RV-12 with D180 and AP74 gets lost when I dial in heading 180. AP works fine when turning to headings from 220 cw around to140. West, North, East are solid, but the southern cone, especially 180 is a +/- 10 degree search never finding the set heading. Have tried adjusting roll settings on the ground and in flight, but doesn't help. Sensitivity of 7 seems to work well with the other cardinal headings. Could this be a shear pin issue?

Mag comp?

How is the D180 getting it?s heading info? Given is ok 340 deg of 360 deg based on your description, I wander about the input side of the equation. Does the D180 hold ok on the tape when tracking 180 on the whiskey?

Hope you can get help here because Dynon Tech Support for legacy products is non-existent. I emailed them for support on a D180 and a week later got a reply with a copy & paste from the manual, clearly they didn't even bother to read my question. Made me rethink my upgrade to Skyview, now seriously considering something I didn't want to do, Garmin.

RV-12 with D180 and AP74 gets lost when I dial in heading 180. AP works fine when turning to headings from 220 cw around to140. West, North, East are solid, but the southern cone, especially 180 is a +/- 10 degree search never finding the set heading.

I'd start with checking the calibration of the remote compass. You can do this on the ground using a compass rose or known headings. I'd pay particular attention those southern headings. A GPS track while taxiing can help if you need to find a southerly heading.

Next, go to altitude and start a 360 degree turn using the autopilot and heading bug.

Then do a 360 degree turn flying by hand.

Download and analyze the D180 data paying particular attention to the recorded magnetic heading.

Look for any anomalies or sudden perturbations in the data.

Don

AP lost

Recalibrated compass 3 times. Always accepts calibration without issue. Roll sensitivity is set at 7 with rate set at 1.5 sec and 20 deg angle of bank. In flight the D180 hdg matches foreflight and garmin 496 within 2 degrees in 360 deg turns left and right. All appears fine but AP just can't find and lock on a southerly heading. I guess it's time to contact tech support. Thanks for your input.

I'd start with checking the calibration of the remote compass. You can do this on the ground using a compass rose or known headings. I'd pay particular attention those southern headings. A GPS track while taxiing can help if you need to find a southerly heading.

Next, go to altitude and start a 360 degree turn using the autopilot and heading bug.

Then do a 360 degree turn flying by hand.

Download and analyze the D180 data paying particular attention to the recorded magnetic heading.

Look for any anomalies or sudden perturbations in the data.

Don

Good luck. I tried that route and after 2 weeks and no help from Dynon tech support, the president of Dynon posted on Facebook he would help me. A week passed and I asked him "any news"? Nothing.

Another week passed and again I asked him "any news"? He then emailed me. Hope you don't need to fly and count on that for the next month. I think you're better off posting here and on social media to find help from others.

Back