What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 throttle travel shrinking

Pilot8

Well Known Member
A new throttle cable from Van's has 2 1/8" travel- over time the travel will decrease by 3/8" on my IO360-M1B RV8. The throttle cable is firesleeved from the fuel servo end to the engine mount. Aluminum fiberglass tape wraps the firesleeve, and exhaust heat shields protect the cable at the crossover spots. The cable travel doesn't get any shorter after 3/8 is lost- at 50 hours, 1/4" of travel is gone. It's been repeatable with two cables. Anybody else seen this issue? 3/8" is a lot of horsepower!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Same setup. Start with plenty of free play. Use a shorter throttle arm if you have to for full travel. I drilled a new hole 3/8" in from factory hole. The green cables in the kit were not the best length. Replaced with Cablecraft high temperature cables. T-61", G-48.5", M-51"

Second on the new hole.........

Same setup. Start with plenty of free play. Use a shorter throttle arm if you have to for full travel. I drilled a new hole 3/8" in from factory hole. The green cables in the kit were not the best length. Replaced with Cablecraft high temperature cables. T-61", G-48.5", M-51"

I thought I had checked everything prior to my DAR inspection. I missed the "full" movement on the throttle arm. When Vic found it he said, "easy fix, drill a new hole"..... I had it moving full travel in just a few minutes.....

McFarlane custom cables!

My recommendation is to spend the extra money and get custom McFarlane cables. you will not regret it ever.

McFarlane really is the best. And is priced accordingly. I just installed one of their vernier assist mixture controls in my RV-3B and it is the bomb. Very high quality.

Back