What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crow Seat belt Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I installed the crow belts. I just tried to install the seat pan and I am very confused. When you put in the seat pan the seat belt gets pinched between the sub structure such that it is nearly impossible to screw in the seat pan and then when you do the crotch strap can't be adjusted. I guess I could just not screw in two of the screws and this would solve the issue.

Both the metal connector and the straps get pinched. The only think that I can think of is to get in there with a Dremel and cut either the front of the back substructure piece to make it not be pinched.

What am I missing? Do I have the incorrect metal attach point piece?

Thanks
Ken

That's how mine are also, but once adjusted to the correct length, I have not needed to re-adjust for different passengers.

I didn’t have to do that. Mine bolted in and threaded up through the slot in the pan. I don’t remember if I took the buckle off for that or not.

My struggle was getting the four screw holes in place for the crotch strap mount to pan screws. A plastic probe to push things around for that done.

I don’t suppose the pan is upside down or 180 or R/L swapped? Not sure that is possible but a thought.

My crow straps went in fine.

Last edited:
JDA--

That is my issue. Once I put the 4 screws in place the strap is locked tight and can't be adjust "on the fly". If someone different were to fly is would take a 1/2 hour to adjust things, if they need to be adjusted. Maybe the length of the crotch strap does not matter once it is set for one person, it will work for most.

What Turner said......

And mine at one setting appropriate for the seat gets it done for everyone. Put your seat in and see how high the snap needs to be to clear a large person lap and set it up there. It will then work for just about anybody. Too long isn’t a big deal within reason. Too short doesn’t work at all. I’ve had 100-250 lb passengers all do fine with the one placement. Of course your position can be set to your ideal!

Last edited:
Tom--

where do you get the D shaped bracket?

Not sure what the others are talking about. With the Y bracket not only does the bracket end up in between the parts but so do two pieces of webbing. There is not way to have one piece of webbing and attach to anything.

Just another thing that I did not know I needed to change or fix.

cheers

It seems to me that the harness is better at vertical restraint (keeping your head from hitting the canopy) if the crotch strap is as short as possible. That way the lap belts, when tightened, pull your hips downward more. I haven't adjusted the pax crotch strap since day one and had no complaints

When I bought my belts from Crow I specified it was for an RV14A; I don't know if they did anything special to the hardware, but it worked out of the box.

As Tom pointed out, it might not be a case of adjusting, but rather putting in and taking out.

Furthermore having the webbing pinched continuously and it moving all the time, I would suspect that the webbing will be compromised over time.

Thanks for the info. I sent an email to Crow. Hopefully they will have something for me.

This project is just one endless money sink. To replace the end fitting for something that I already purchased will cost $40 from ACS plus the expensive shipping.

Now that I have complained, I would like to see what others think about the following. It looks like the end fitting is long enough that I might be able to drill an attach hole directly below the original hole. I think that I might be able to get the hole low enough to get the hole far enough away from the other one and still keep the slot for the webbing in the clear.

Bad Idea?

You're making too much out of it.
The Y bracket is the normal bracket and works just fine. It's got a single mounting hole. You just pick the appropriate hole to mount it in that gives the seat belt the proper position in the seat center line.

On mine, the 2 straps come up through the gap between the plates, and the adjust buckle is above the seat pan.

It works just fine that way, and rarely gets adjusted. There's certainly no need for a different bracket to be ordered.

I don't have a pic of mine installed but it's sort of T or Y shaped. A single stem and a slotted wider part of the bracket at the top. It looks similar to the ones that plug into the round harness twist connector. Yes, it's a tight fit, but it does work.

There are options, as well, if you don't like the way it sandwiches.

You could drill another hole in the buckle portion, to mount it lower in that area.

You could drill another hole in the in airplane bracket, and reinforce if necessary, to relocate where it mounts.

It's experimental, so we have the ability to adjust things as needed.

It does sound like mine is just like your is. But, it works ok for me, and really never gets adjusted often..although with effort, it's adjustable.

After all the fuss, I got a hold of Crow and they sent me the correct parts. And 5-10 minutes later, the seatbelts are in place and the seat pans will now screw in easily.

Photos?

Would you happen to have any photos of the parts? The correct ones and incorrect ones?

Thanks.

I don't recall when I ordered from crow whether I had to specify RV-14. If I was asked, then I did ask for rv-14.

You can see the difference in the parts on my FB page (in signature) and you can read the part numbers if you zoom in on the parts.

Researching and thought I’d pop the photos up.

Attachments

• F2A312EB-7D25-466C-B3A4-6CAF9E3BBF63.jpeg
    F2A312EB-7D25-466C-B3A4-6CAF9E3BBF63.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 91
Back