What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB Out and getting "filtered" by the FAA

NinerBikes

Well Known Member
Been trying to get up to speed on ADS-B out with a friends Dynon Skyview Touch with ADSB Out and ADSB In.

Recently the local ATC has advised us that we don't have ADSB Out showing on his screen upon approach to land, the past 2 landings.

A search on Flight Aware for N836BL shows tracking on all of our flights the past 3 months of history. I'm not sure what Flight Aware tracks, or how they get our data, but they seem to be getting all of it via ADSB Out from the Xsponder 261 provided by Dynon.

A search online with the FAA with their ADSB search where you fill out the date of flight and what equipment you are running shows that our tail number is being "filtered", and as such is not showing up at the ATC at KWHP, where we keep getitng notified when announcing on radio that our ADSB Out isn't working, so we sometimes get asked to squawk 1200. None of the FAA reports by the flight dates I've requested have any red boxes or flags showing up being out of specifications for accuracy, velocity direction, elevation, etc. recently.

Reviewing the FAA reports for requests for flights doesn't show any red blocks on the reports for our transmit out standards being unacceptable.

Anyone else have suggestions how to clear up this red flagging "filtered" status with the FAA so that it makes the local ATC see us on his screen in the tower?

I've sent in a request to the FAA to find out how to resolve this, since we land at a controlled D class airport that's wedged under a C class airport that's all within a 30 mile cake veil C airspace in the radius of KLAX. Complex airspace, I know.

Last edited:
Could be you are using the Dynon GPS 250 and not the DYNON GPS2020 or other ADSB qualified GPS position source. The system may be filtering due to unqualified GPS Source?

Could be you are using the Dynon GPS 250 and not the DYNON GPS2020 or other ADSB qualified GPS position source. The system may be filtering due to unqualified GPS Source?

GPS 250 was removed, GPS 2020 installed, 15.4.7 software version installed, settings for GPS 2020 set up and turned on, correct serial port and correct baud rate. I went through all of this on the phone with Dynon Technical Support.

Also some sort of GPS 2020 software was activated and updated also, when the lettering turned up yellow, instead of white, now it's current for past 8 or 9 months, I think? This was to correct problems when Dynon's specs for ADSB out was causing false flags for having specs tighter than the FAA's requirements.

This is a FAA red flagging and "FILTERING '" is what they refer to it as, so the info does NOT show up with N number, ICAO number elevation or speed, or type or model of plane at the ATC tower, on their computer screen. Each "report for FAA for each flight, should show red "blocks" for non compliance in a FAA PAPR report.

Haven't had any non compliance red "blocks in the past 3 months of flying, so wondering how far back, timeline wise, the variation that was out of spec was noted, and if it's since been fixed?

And how to get removed from filtering by the FAA.

Last edited:
FlightAware receives ADS-B data from a network of ground stations hosted by individuals. These ground stations receive transponder emissions, decode the data, and send them to FlightAware for further aggregation/collation/processing/etc. It's very possible that the FAA has certain filtering in place that doesn't exist in the FlightAware feeder network.

Unfortunately I don't know what the specific issue with the FAA might be.

Go to the FAA PAPR website. On that page there is contact info for the program mangers. They can tell you if the airplane is on the "non-compliant" list.
And, if it is, they can provide the steps to get it to a compliant status.

Federal Register

Here is the link to the document in the Federal Register that discusses the filtering of NPE(Non-Performing Emitter) aircraft as well as the e-mail address to request removal from the list.

Owners and operators can identify the ICAO address filtering status of their aircraft by requesting a Public ADS-B Performance Report (PAPR) at the following web address: https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/​PAPRRequest.aspx. Owners and operators whose aircraft are affected by application of the ICAO address filter must contact the FAA Flight Standards Service ADS-B Focus Team at [email protected] for guidance on corrective actions and coordination for removal of aircraft from the ICAO address filter.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/12/20/2017-27202/change-to-automatic-dependent-surveillance-broadcast-services

Last edited:
emails have been sent to the appropriate email addresses.

Waiting to hear a response from FAA on how to get things fixed and working properly so that we can be removed from the "filtered" list.

Here is the link to the document in the Federal Register that discusses the filtering of NPE(Non-Performing Emitter) aircraft as well as the e-mail address to request removal from the list.

Owners and operators can identify the ICAO address filtering status of their aircraft by requesting a Public ADS-B Performance Report (PAPR) at the following web address: https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/​PAPRRequest.aspx. Owners and operators whose aircraft are affected by application of the ICAO address filter must contact the FAA Flight Standards Service ADS-B Focus Team at [email protected] for guidance on corrective actions and coordination for removal of aircraft from the ICAO address filter.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/12/20/2017-27202/change-to-automatic-dependent-surveillance-broadcast-services

I've made all the contacts on Monday, waiting for an official response from the FAA.

Mention has been made that early model GPS 2020's might need the software or firmware updated to function in line with FAA requirements, so we will be checking that out too.

Unfortunately, the owner's wife is in hospital for a day or two, so I don't have access to the RV-12 until he's got the time to meet up.

Just received the email from FAA, shows we've been compliant for quite some time, but someone still needs to contact the FAA so that they can MANUALLY remove you from the FILTERED list.

We are now good to go.

Thanks all for the responses and clarification.

Good news! I have passed this info to several others and haven't heard what the process is like. Good to hear it was that easy. I had looked at your PAPR report Monday and knew it was perfect and that there wasn't anything needed.
Enjoy!

Good news! I have passed this info to several others and haven't heard what the process is like. Good to hear it was that easy. I had looked at your PAPR report Monday and knew it was perfect and that there wasn't anything needed.
Enjoy!

Received yet another more detailed report today from FAA. Seems that when I got the serial port Com 5 correct for the 470 ADS-B In device back on Oct 23, 2019 after a tech call with Dynon, everything from then on was working just fine, Accuracy and detail wise. I have no idea how that works, since the FILTER is supposedly on ADSB OUT only?

Regardless, my suggestion is that if you set up your Skyview Touch correctly for the serial ports and baud rates, for both ADSB OUT and ADSB IN, make sure you get it right, because somehow, according to my FAA reports, one somehow affects the other and creates problems with accuracy in the FAA tracking files, and then you somehow end up on the ADSB OUT red flagged FILTER list.

Personally, I think using the term "Filter" by the FAA is a bad term and misleading. We use oil filters, air filters, fuel filters, our radio's use squelch features, and they are all good things, but being on the FAA "FILTER" list, IMHO, and from local ATC's perspective, is a bad thing.

Don't want to get into the politics, but it seems like a stupid spin by the powers that be in the govt and at the FAA with some sort of confused line of thinking. Filtering is usually for the better, in this case, if you are filtered and you go down, they won't be tracking or send out Search and Rescue, because you just aren't on their little ADSB "radar" of their ADS-B out system. WAAS GPS systems are known to be good down to the 1 meter cubed range, perhaps even better nowadays. Worked for Litton Guidance and Control back in the '80s on the F-14 Tomcat days with gyros and accelerometers, things have changed, a lot, since GPS.

But what do I know... I'm far from the sharpest tool in the shed, seems the old six pack for gauges days were a lot simpler.

Last edited:
Finally bought my own RV-12... and having another go around with this problem.

Owner's original GPS 250 ADSB Out and SV-470 470 ADSB In weren't even in compliance in October of 2019.

Since I bought the plane, and I'm in CA and it's in SC, and the owner has memory problems as well as cancer, with me flying in to be trained by a CFI while flying it back home, I am kind of in a pickle.

PAPR Report indicates it's a configuration problem, 100% errors, in 3 categories, so I will call Dynon again while on Eastern time on Tuesday June , and hope to get this sorted out.

I am almost certain it has something to do with the serial ports now being in the wrong order, and the settings on them, since installing the new GPS 2020 antenna in May of 2020, and getting a fresh Dynon Skyview Classic installed as a warranty replacement last week, due to loss of function of a few of the buttons on the front of the panel. Great customer service by Dynon, BTW.

Finally bought my own RV-12... and having another go around with this problem.

Owner's original GPS 250 ADSB Out and SV-470 470 ADSB In weren't even in compliance in October of 2019.

Since I bought the plane, and I'm in CA and it's in SC, and the owner has memory problems as well as cancer, with me flying in to be trained by a CFI while flying it back home, I am kind of in a pickle.

PAPR Report indicates it's a configuration problem, 100% errors, in 3 categories, so I will call Dynon again while on Eastern time on Tuesday June , and hope to get this sorted out.

I am almost certain it has something to do with the serial ports now being in the wrong order, and the settings on them, since installing the new GPS 2020 antenna in May of 2020, and getting a fresh Dynon Skyview Classic installed as a warranty replacement last week, due to loss of function of a few of the buttons on the front of the panel. Great customer service by Dynon, BTW.

Randy,
E-mail me a copy of the PAPR report. Was this report from a recent flight? I went through those settings with him on Friday, pretty sure it is correct now, but...... [email protected]

Back