What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foreflight not seeing Stratux ADSB IN

jwsllrs

I'm New Here
In my IphoneX and Stratux setup Foreflight doesn't recognize Stratux. With my old iPhone 7, it still works fine. On the iPhoneX I am running ios 13.3.1, and Foreflight v12.1. On the Stratux app, it shows traffic, weather reports, towers, etc., but none of it is recognized by Foreflight. I deleted and reloaded Foreflight from the App Store to no avail. I have contacted Foreflight support, but they claim that they do not specfically support Stratux, and are generally unhelpful, even though it works fine on the iPhone 7. Any ideas would be GREATFULLY APPRECIATED. I am guessing that this is not a common problem as I do not see others having this difficulty. Thanks, jwsllrs.

something to try:

open your wifi screen from settings. It should show a stratux device by name. Click the ! next to that name and select forget this device. Then scan for devices and select stratux.

If you haven't done it yet, you must select the device to connect to via wifi. Foreflight won't find it until you provide the wifi connection.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. The wifi in the iPhone settings is stratux, And the stratux app on the iPhone Sees the traffic, Weather, Towers etc. it just does not appear in forflight.

Another app in the background?

In some cases other aviation apps that also support ADS-B can "hog" the UDP port used for GDL-90 (the data format that the Stratux uses to talk to ForeFlight). If you have something like Aerovie, FlyQ, iFly, Xavion, etc. on the phone, kill it (swipe up). Then relaunch ForeFlight.

A few other questions / thoughts:

Can you get to the Stratux web interface (on 192.168.10.1) from the phone?

Have you tried rebooting the phone? (Yeah, its the IT guy's answer to everything - but sometimes it works.)

Do you see anything in the "Devices" page? (To get to Devices, tap the More... button on the bottom right-hand corner then find Devices in the menu on the left-hand side.)

If none of that works, and if you use Slack, you could try posting on the Stratux general slack channel. The Stratux developers are there and while I do recall some discussion about Foreflight recently I don't think there's currently anything systemic that would block it from working.

https://stratuxadsb.slack.com/

Thanks again for your help.

To answer your questions:
No other Aviation apps To provide conflict.

I can connect through the iPhone to the web interface 192.168.10.1 And within the stratux app itself it shows that it is connected, and shows traffic etc. but nothing on ForeFlight.

I rebooted the phone to no effect.

Nothing on the devices page. It says ? No supported devices connected.?
Under devices/general info/SS ID ? it says Stratux
Under IP addresses it says
192.168.10.15 wi-Fi
127.0.0.1 Loopback
10.78.129.191 Cell data

On my old cell phone five where stratux and ForeFlight work normally, under devices it says ?ADSB ? connected?

Another thought: Have you tried turning off cellular data? It's possible the iPhoneX routes IP requests differently and the call to the Stratux is getting routed to cellular data rather than the WiFi connection to the Stratux?

Thanks again for the thoughts. I have tried turning off the cellular data to no avail. Also I tried getting on Slack but I couldn?t seem to get to the stratux ADSB work group. I shall try again laterToday. Thanks again.

Thanks Rob! That got me connected to Slack and the Stratux ADSB work group. I shall investigate it further tomorrow.

Cheers, Fred

Out of desperation I bought a new SD card, and flashed it with the latest software, and now it's working!
Thanks you, Larry, Steve, and Rob for the input and help.

Cheers, Jwsllrs

stratux issue

I am curious did you get support from Stratux (or crewdog) when struggling with the issue?

I ask because I do have plans to purchase the Stratux to use with foreflight so this thread has been very

Usually the first suggestions from the Stratux team are to check that you have a strong enough power supply, a quality USB cable, the latest software, and a good SD card. Those four things seem to fix 95% of issues with Stratux, in my non-scientific observation.

Yes. The memory card in the Stratux can joggle loose under vibration. So if you ever have trouble the first thing to try is pop out the card and then re-seat in. It might look like it's seated but do it anyway. Works about 90 percent of the time.

Back