What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

J Pole Antenna in Wing Tip with Archer Antenna?

Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
I'm planning to install an APRS system in our RV-8. I'd like to use an internal antenna, but I've got a Bob Archer NAV antenna in one wing tip, and an Archer COM antenna in the other tip.

I'd appreciate any experience from others who have installed a Pete Howell J-Pole antenna in a wing tip with an Archer antenna. Was there any interference from the APRS onto the NAV or COM?

I'm thinking the best chance of success is to put the J-Pole in the side with the NAV antenna, as the NAV antenna sits flat on the top of the wing tip.

I'm planning to install an APRS system in our RV-8. I'd like to use an internal antenna, but I've got a Bob Archer NAV antenna in one wing tip, and an Archer COM antenna in the other tip.

I'd appreciate any experience from others who have installed a Pete Howell J-Pole antenna in a wing tip with an Archer antenna. Was there any interference from the APRS onto the NAV or COM?

I'm thinking the best chance of success is to put the J-Pole in the side with the NAV antenna, as the NAV antenna sits flat on the top of the wing tip.

Resurrecting this old thread, because after searching the entire aprs section I never found a definitive answer to Kevin's question.

I have a Bob Archer nav antenna in each wingtip of my -10. I would like to put a J-pole antenna for my Byonics MicroTrak RTG in one wingtip. Can I expect good performance from my nav and the tracker with this arrangement? If not, which external antenna has the blessing from the cognoscenti?

Back