What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedals

pappa

I am about to hang the rudder pedals. The plans sequence is now before doing the cabin, seat backs, etc.......it is all open. Minimum distance from firewall is 3 inches, and suggests drilling several block locations. I am 5?7?. So how did you guys do this? How far apart for block locations? I am building a 9A. Thank you for your thoughts and your been there done that knowledge.

Pedal adjustment

I am about to hang the rudder pedals. The plans sequence is now before doing the cabin, seat backs, etc.......it is all open. Minimum distance from firewall is 3 inches, and suggests drilling several block locations. I am 5?7?. So how did you guys do this? How far apart for block locations? I am building a 9A. Thank you for your thoughts and your been there done that knowledge.

Measure the holes in the blocks. Notice the center block has different spacing. I drilled them so the holes were usable for either the forward or aft hole. So one set then 1/2 that distance for the second set, etc. The center holes are another problem. If you drill the center block with the same spacing, all the holes will fall in the same spacing. I think it ended up with four positions.

Fitting details

I made two positions, the first set of holes places the blocks 3.5 inches from the firewall, which was the minimum due to interference between the firewall recess box and the middle support block. The second position is 1.5 inches back from the first.

I clamped everything in position and used 3/16 drill guides to avoid chewing up the uhmw blocks while drilling into the aluminum.

I decided to wait until the seats are installed before drilling the brake pedals to the master cylinders.

Others have suggested splitting the outer uhmw blocks and that seems like a good idea for easier future removal and re- fitting of the rudder bars.

Back