What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Empty Weight

RobinHou

Well Known Member
I just did weight and balance using my EAA Chapter scales last weekend. I weighted myself and my helper to verify the accuracy of the scales and they seemed OK. My RV-8's empty weight came out to be only 1007 lb. I am not sure if this is correct since Vans website said RV-8 empty weight should be 1067-1120 lb. Although I only have minimum equipment, I don't think I should be 60 lb lighter than specs.

Here is how my RV-8 is equipped:

Lycoming YO-360-A1A & Sensenich prop
Slow built without primer
Exterior painted with 2 colors & clear coat
No interior paint, no carpet
Vans seats with cloth cover & 5-point harness
Dynon D60, 2.25" AS, G-meter, Flightline 760A & Narco AT-165
AmeriKing 450 ELT
AeroLed position strobe lights, no landing light
PC680 battery in the back
Weighted with wheel & leg fairings but no intersection fairing yet

If you have a light weight RV-8, do you mind sharing what you have? I don't want to re-weight it if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance,

Robin

Carl,

Yes, I weighed it with 6 qt. of oil and empty tanks. Do you think your extra may add up to 100 lb?

I just don't have much conference in my weight. I must have messed up somewhere.

Thanks for your comments.

Robib

My RV-8 was built as light as I could. Mostly primed inside, only the fiberglass and the spot in front of the windshield are painted on the outside. Oregon Aero seats, Dynon D-10a, Terra NAV/Com ADF and Transponder.
Parallel valve, conical mount O-360 with Superior Cold Air sump. Airflow performance fuel injection, Ultralight starter and Denso Mini alternator. Catto 3 blade prop, PC680 battery on fire wall. 6 quarts of oil, & wheel pants with leg fairings. (I don't think intersect fairings then)
1034 Lbs
No wall panels or carpet. Oil Screen (no spin on oil filter) LED position lights, NOVA HR strobe pack & 3 tubes, no landing or Taxi lights.
I think your weight might be greater than the scales told, but if true, my hat is off to YOU!

Lately I removed all the TERRA gear and installed Garmin Com & transponder for a slight weight reduction and better communication.
It never stops...You have to be careful, most planes gain weight as they get older...

Robin,

If you're concerned about this you might try weighing with a different set of scales. This would be a lot more meaningful than trying to compare to other planes.

My experience is that getting a reliable weight is harder than I expected. I've done several weighings using different scale setups and each time got a different answer each time. Its not easy to accurately calibrate a scale at 500 pounds.

Mine came in at 1029 with CG at 78.64, where is your CG?

I am light weight with basic BPE Superior IO360 180 HP with Catto 3 blade.

You could be in ball park but I know your prop is heavier.

Thanks, Will Re-weigh

Scott, it was not my priority to build light. I did take the less expensive route in my built to save costs and that is how it turned out. I don't mind having a light 8, but I just have no confidence in my empty weight because it is much lighter than I expected.

Alan, yes, I agree and I will re-weigh it when I have access to a different set of scales.

David, my CG is 78.78 as weighed last weekend. I would not be concerned if my empty weight is a few lb lighter than Vans 1067 lb, and I don't think mine should be lighter than yours when my prop is heavier.

Thank you all for your comments. I will report back after I re-weigh my bird.

You are just fine.

Yes, you are in good company here with this weight.
Our 8 is 1008 Lbs. empty with oil. It has nice cloth seats, but no frills or sound proofing. We have an IO-360 ECI engine with their fuel system and a none counter weighted crank, standard Mags. A Prince 68X81" carbon P tip prop. It dose have a nice Garmin panel with AP and GS. We coated everything inside and out with 2-3 coats of the mill. 7020 or SW-988 primer. That look was not intended to last, but the more we look at it and find how easy it is to spot fix and take care of along with mill. markings and a squadron insignia is starting to have some appeal. Most of the new panel installs have saved a lot of weight from what we would have had in the past. You sound good to me.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Last edited:
Thanks!

Robert, it is good to hear that our weights are only 1 lb apart. Maybe I did not messed up as badly as I thought I did. Anyhow, I will re-weigh when I can, but your post sure eases the bad feeling I had for the past few days. THANK YOU!

Here is how my RV-8 is equipped:

Lycoming YO-360-A1A & Sensenich prop
Slow built without primer
Exterior painted with 2 colors & clear coat
No interior paint, no carpet
Vans seats with cloth cover & 5-point harness
Dynon D60, 2.25" AS, G-meter, Flightline 760A & Narco AT-165
AmeriKing 450 ELT
AeroLed position strobe lights, no landing light
PC680 battery in the back
Weighted with wheel & leg fairings but no intersection fairing yet

If you have a light weight RV-8, do you mind sharing what you have? I don't want to re-weight it if I don't have to.
Robin

Robin, mine is identical to yours cept I have primer (no clear coat), landing and taxi lights, min avionics and PC680 on the firewall....1070 lbs.

And it looks like RobinHou never reported back, so we don't know if he found the scales differed or not.

I have had experiences trying to weigh airplanes outside. A breeze so gentle that you would swear there is no wind can change the measured weight.

Mine was 1032 on scales recently certified. 6qts oil, no fuel, glass panel plus three 3.125”gauges, Oregon aero cloth seats, primed inside, painted outside, steel LG, wheel paints and all fairings, big 350x150x5 tires, Titan XIO370 with Whirlwind GA prop, NL starter and Shoral battery, LED lights, B&C 410 alternator. CG 79.77”

Last edited:
My 8A was 1002 with O-360, Catto 3-blade, Rotec TBI, lightweight starter, lithium battery, SD-8 alternator no lights or gyros. Have since added EchoUAT and, a vapor return line and wheel and gear fairings. I calculate I'm now up to 1015. CG is 79.86.

I know someone who weighed his aircraft and was pleased at the result. 10 years later he reweighed it and was shocked to find it gained 65lbs after he thought he reduced the weight. A review of the original weights showed somehow the tailwheel weight was entered at 0.

Im a lightweight

999# pantless, paintless.
RV-8
IO-360
1 Skyview, 1 radio
Catto 3-blade
Odyssey battery
SkyTec lightweight starter
PlanePower alt.

My RV-8 empty weight was 1105.5 LB and CG of 80.01 aft off datum.

Primed and painted, Aero Sport Power IO-375, whirlwind C/S Prop, lightweight landing gear from Sky Designs. AFS IFR panel, Oregon Aero Sheep Skin seats and no other Interior. Lights by Aero LEDs.

Last edited:
Mine was weighted at 1070# with 7 qts of oil and CG is at 79.5"

IO-360-M1B
Sensenich carbon ground adjustable prop
Vans heavy steel landing gear
Fwd Battery
Vans FWF kit (baffle, exhaust kit, etc...)
Alternate air mod
Heater muff
Parking brake
1 Fuse box (no circuit breakers)
Rear seat rudder option
Rear seat throttle option
Electric elv trim
3 position flap position system
Primary 1 Dynon 10" HDX system (radio/xdpr/adsb-out) with 2-axis autopilot
Garmin G5 + Garmin GPS antenna
WAT nav lights
DIY wingtip landing lights
Fire extinguisher
Canopy remove ratchet system
DIY neoprene seat covers using Vans foam blanks
No carpet
Alodine interior with primed/painted cabin space and baggage area
Single stage exterior paint (no extra clear coat)

Last edited:
Tailwheel weight?

Sounds like some planes are leaving out the tailwheel weight!!! My current eight is 1165 and my last one was 1125. I think low 1000’s is possible totally stripped and unpainted with no interior and light weight everything. Set up as a normal plane I’d say 1100 has to be the normal…

Sounds like some planes are leaving out the tailwheel weight!!! My current eight is 1165 and my last one was 1125. I think low 1000’s is possible totally stripped and unpainted with no interior and light weight everything. Set up as a normal plane I’d say 1100 has to be the normal…

Then it will be impossible to get a W&B without the tailwheel weight.

My 1002 weight was by an A&P using calibrated scales. Did leave off the tailwheel weight as I don't have a tailwheel. Nosewheel had 235.5 lbs when empty.

It isn't impossible, and doesn't need to be totally stripped. What is important is what you leave off. Primed only the faying surfaces. No lights, no gyros and so don't have all those wires. Battery on the firewall so starter wire is short. Basic day VFR panel. No carpet/upholstery other than seat cushions, just a light coat of paint on the inside. B&C SD-8 as only alternator.

Did paint the outside, and as I'm not a very good painter that probably came out heavier than it needs to be. Also have inverted oil. Leave those out and I bet I could get under 1000 lbs.

There is one RV8 builder on the field who built an even lighter airplane and he has a constant speed propeller. I didn't do anything special other than following the plan. I don't have a fully upholstery interior like most high priced RV these days. I don't have a IFR avionic suite with all the necessary redundant backup for everything. Having the battery in front reduces the big wire runs significantly. I am sure if my goal is to build an ultimate light weight bird, there are many other pricey options I could use such as an aluminum landing gear, carbon wheel pants, carbon wingtip, carbon panel, lighter rear wheel, but I just used the stock Vans parts. I also didn't build all the extra access hatches, landing gear mod doors, etc. It wasn't because I didn't want to build them but I didn't want to spend more time building because this build has stretched into its 5th year and I work full-time. Comparing the weight, I think mine falls in the range of an average VFR RV8. Nothing special

Back