What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Newbie joins the group

n18pf

Well Known Member
I've been following this forum for some time. I promised myself that when I finished my RV, I'd dive into this APRS stuff (one thing at a time!).

Well last Sunday I passed the test and today my name appeared on the FCC website! So I rushed home from work and configured my Micro Trak - following Sam's instructions to the letter! I slapped it in the car and took a drive around the block and I'll be - it actually works! I can't wait to try it in the RV!

Sam - thank you for your patient guidance. Your posted instructions are perfect for a newbie to get started. My only concern is this may become addictive. Just what I need, another expensive hobby!!

I've been following the discussions on antenna design and placement, but first I'm just going to see if I can use the magnetic mount suction cupped onto the canopy (tip up). I'm sure many other tests will follow, but for now I just want to see if it works!!

So thanks again to everyone who contributed to this forum and lit my fire!

I've been following this forum for some time. I promised myself that when I finished my RV, I'd dive into this APRS stuff (one thing at a time!).

Well last Sunday I passed the test and today my name appeared on the FCC website! So I rushed home from work and configured my Micro Trak - following Sam's instructions to the letter! I slapped it in the car and took a drive around the block and I'll be - it actually works! I can't wait to try it in the RV!

Sam - thank you for your patient guidance. Your posted instructions are perfect for a newbie to get started. My only concern is this may become addictive. Just what I need, another expensive hobby!!

I've been following the discussions on antenna design and placement, but first I'm just going to see if I can use the magnetic mount suction cupped onto the canopy (tip up). I'm sure many other tests will follow, but for now I just want to see if it works!!

So thanks again to everyone who contributed to this forum and lit my fire!

Welcome to the community, Paul!

Your tracker appears to be working very nicely. Get that thing in the -7A and you will be amazed at how well it will drop breadcrumbs. Fortunately you don't have to spend much money to get a bunch of utility out of APRS.

Happy trackin'!

Welcome to the ham world

And may I congratulate you on your excellent taste and judgment in equipment selection.......

Allen
VHS

Antenna question

Welcome to the community, Paul!

Your tracker appears to be working very nicely. Get that thing in the -7A and you will be amazed at how well it will drop breadcrumbs. Fortunately you don't have to spend much money to get a bunch of utility out of APRS.

Happy trackin'!

So far I'm very happy with it! Now I just need to find a "permanent" antenna solution. I'm thinking of using a piece of wire (19"?) strung up the tip up canopy with the coax shield attached to the canopy frame to provide a ground plane. Does anyone have any reason this will NOT work?

I do intend to "try it out", but I wanted to know if anyone has tried it and not liked it. I'm not looking for 100% coverage at ground level. I'd just like it to be fairly reliable. So far I have used a suction cup to hold the mag mount antenna to the canopy and it has worked very acceptably, so I'm not sure I need much more! (other than the mag mount messes with my compass!).

Hey Paul!

Welcome, and good show on the APRS. On the antenna - I have not tried that, but we have tried some wackier things and some of them work!

Ham is kinda like "experimental" radio(within bounds). Allen's little marvel is pretty tolerant of us playing some games, so give it a try, and report back. You might find the best answer yet.

Post any questions, if we don't have the answers, we will make something up for you!

Simple Antenna test

I tried a simple antenna today with pretty good results:
1zwbx3n.jpg

I've got a 7A tip up, and used a bulkhead BNC fitting (P/N ARFX1130-ND at Digikey.com) though the canopy frame that closes above the instrument panel (sorry I don't remember the Van's part number!). Obviously the bottom I attached to the tracker, but on top I used a 19.5" piece of 0.041 safety wire mounted in a BNC connector. The top of the safety wire was attached to the canopy with a small (1/2") suction cup. I was very happy with the track I got. Weather was getting down to 3 miles in snow showers, so I didn't stay out too long!!

This was just a test to see how well the antenna placement worked. I'll probably build another one and re-enforce it with some strands of Uni fiberglass which might eliminate the need for the suction cup.

This flight was over eastern Iowa at about 2500', so with the flat terrain, perhaps anything would work. But I'm happy enough with it to stick with it for now! If I hadn't forgotten my camera, I would provide a picture or two!

This is fun stuff!

Wow! Your track is definitely better than mine:D You beat me in speed too.

Picture2.png

Nice to have you here Paul. Big Welcome.

rectangle patterns are not for sissies

Hey, square up those pattern turns.....
Just giving you grief. Welcome aboard at Van's. And congrats on FCC test. 73 from KL7KA

Back