What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wx tool on the NOAA Aviation site

DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
Don't know if you've have stumbled across this one or not. Nor know how long it may have been out there, but I've been looking at it for a while now. It has now become my first wx click . I like to look at Wx reporting especially for GA and VFR flying. It's called the HEMS TOOL on the NOAA Aviation Wx home site, evidently stands for Heli Emergency Medical Service.

It provides a very good summary, in one place for VFR GA Wx briefing.
( except for TFR) ie. base cloud heights , Conv areas, Flight cat color reports for APs , and even has a 6 to 8 hour forecast slide bar at the top. , you can overlay radar wx if you like .

Take a look and see what you think.

https://aviationweather.gov/hemst

Don't know if you've have stumbled across this one or not. Nor know how long it may have been out there, but I've been looking at it for a while now. It has now become my first wx click . I like to look at Wx reporting especially for GA and VFR flying. It's called the HEMS TOOL on the NOAA Aviation Wx home site, evidently stands for Heli Emergency Medical Service.

It provides a very good summary, in one place for VFR GA Wx briefing.
( except for TFR) ie. base cloud heights , Conv areas, Flight cat color reports for APs , and even has a 6 to 8 hour forecast slide bar at the top. , you can overlay radar wx if you like .

Take a look and see what you think.

It has been around in one form or another for over a decade...an spin off of the ADDS Flight Path Tool. They've gotten funding to support this tool, so that's why it's been converted from a Java-based application. Keep in mind that it is designed for aircraft flying at or below 5,000 feet AGL. So there's a lot of info missing if you are flying at higher altitudes.

Back