What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric fuel pump

FireMedic_2009

Well Known Member
I wasn’t wanting to spend $600 for the Van’s fuel pump and was wanting to use an automotive pump. On the RV6A I owned the pump had a return line going back to the input side of the pump. I assume there is a check/pressure valve on the return line so once the output of the pump reaches a certain psi the fuel loops back through the pump to keep the fuel from cavitating in the pump as well as over pressurizing the system. So I’m looking for part numbers for the manifold and check valve and where to get them.

I have a fuel injection engine

Thanks

That’s still a bit exuberant

$100 - $150 is more than enough than someone should pay. I’m still looking for something priced better. Before they came out with these over priced pumps you made the return lines. Does anyone at least know what check/pressure valve would be?

Oh I’m sorry! I guess I misunderstood! It’s right there in the title too! Oops!

These guys have what you need:

https://aeromotiveinc.com/product-category/fuel-pressure-regulators/fuel-injected/

You probably know this, but designing your own fuel delivery system using these kinds of parts puts you firmly in the "experimental" category, and fuel systems are one of the main reasons for le big fan stoppage.

Hi. Thanks for the link. At first I thought, Yep this is what I’m looking for. I’m not looking to design a fuel system, just use parts to build one. Question: if the electric fuel pump is pumping out 20gph and I am on final at low rpm’s wouldn’t I need a bypass line so the fuel pump is not working against itself? I’m not sure if it matters or not however Airflow Performance seems to have the return line so the excess gph is being redirected back the fuel pump intake. I also noticed that Airflow Performance doesn’t have a port for the intake manifold which leads me to believe the fuel servo is regulating the fuel without needing the fuel pressure to be pre-regulated. So would I really need this pressure regulator? Maybe all I need is a return line looping back on itself and pressure the pump is providing is all that is needed where the engine is using whatever it needs and the excess is diverted back to the inlet of the pump. While the pump is off the Engine driven pump is pulling fuel from the Loop back path on the fuel pump and the only thing that is needed is a check valve before the fuel pump so the fuel will never drain back into the tank and lose prime. Would I be correct???

return line

... Question: if the electric fuel pump is pumping out 20gph and I am on final at low rpm’s wouldn’t I need a bypass line so the fuel pump is not working against itself? I’m not sure if it matters or not however Airflow Performance seems to have the return line so the excess gph is being redirected back the fuel pump intake. I also noticed that Airflow Performance doesn’t have a port for the intake manifold which leads me to believe the fuel servo is regulating the fuel without needing the fuel pressure to be pre-regulated. So would I really need this pressure regulator? Maybe all I need is a return line looping back on itself and pressure the pump is providing is all that is needed where the engine is using whatever it needs and the excess is diverted back to the inlet of the pump. ...
The Airflow Performance return line that I have is only for flowing fuel through the "purge valve". The rest of the system handles making sure that the pressure is set right. Yes, the pump pushes hard, and keeps the pressure high enough, and the fuel valve handles the rest - no need for full flow, or the Aeromotive pressure regulator - the Airflow Performance system does this.

If you have the airflow performance system, then I recommend spending a bit of time with the documents published here, where they explain in pretty nice detail how it works, and the components required.

https://airflowperformance.com/index.php/documents/

TL;DR - a full flow/return line system is not required, and no external pressure regulator is required with the airflow performance system

Back