What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

adsb out and transponder

lawrence

Well Known Member
i do not operate in transponder required airspace.

however,my plane is ifr equiped and has current ifr certification.and current transponder check.

can i file an ifr flight plan from one class d airport to another class d airport
as long as i stay in no transponder required airspace during the flight?
or is adsb out required for all ifr flight?

i am not up to date on the adsb out rules, so i thought someone smarter then i could answer ? lawrence

Yes you may file ifr w/o adsb if not in required airspace. Now, a better question would be, ?What if I filed for 9000 but ATC gives me 11,000??? I think the answer is ?you?re excused?.

IFR without ADSB

i do not operate in transponder required airspace.

however,my plane is ifr equiped and has current ifr certification.and current transponder check.

can i file an ifr flight plan from one class d airport to another class d airport
as long as i stay in no transponder required airspace during the flight?
or is adsb out required for all ifr flight?

i am not up to date on the adsb out rules, so i thought someone smarter then i could answer ? lawrence

Apparently, and surprisingly to me, it looks to me like you can fly IFR without ADS-B.
ADS-B is evidently based on airspace (A,B,C,etc), not flight rules (IFR/VFR).
At least according to info from here:
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/faq/#g4
and here:
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=14:2.0.1.3.10#se14.2.91_1225

ADS-B not required in any airspace other than rule airspace, regardless of type of flight plan. So just keep it under 10,000' and skirt Class B, C and mode C veil and you should be good. You can also fly from Mexico to the USA and not need ADS-B out as long as you don't enter rule airspace and go to a US airport of entry outside of rule airspace.

ADS-B not required in any airspace other than rule airspace, regardless of type of flight plan. So just keep it under 10,000' and skirt Class B, C and mode C veil and you should be good. You can also fly from Mexico to the USA and not need ADS-B out as long as you don't enter rule airspace and go to a US airport of entry outside of rule airspace.

One thing curious to me is that without ADS-B, apparently you can fly under a class C shelf. But, you cannot fly over class C.

Actually, you should file a route to keep you out of adsb required airspace. But there is no need to ?skirt it?. If under ifr you are required to follow atc instructions, so if they tell you to climb to 11,000?, or assign you a route which goes thru class B airspace, just do it.

One thing curious to me is that without ADS-B, apparently you can fly under a class C shelf. But, you cannot fly over class C.

Yep. Unlike B you can fly under C w/o equipment. That allows aircraft based at airports under C to operate without equipping. The former Mode C veil surrounding Bravo airspace automatically trumps any underflights of B without equipage.

The former Mode C veil surrounding Bravo airspace automatically trumps any underflights of B without equipage.

Mostly true. But some class B?s extend beyond the 30 nm veil (e.g., SFO). You may fly under class B which is outside the 30nm veil without adsb.

Mostly true. But some class B?s extend beyond the 30 nm veil (e.g., SFO). You may fly under class B which is outside the 30nm veil without adsb.

Good for you guys at Livermore, going to Reid Hillview.

Based in Petaluma, mode C and required ADSB out has restricted my flights down the coast line and over Mt. Tam..... Might have to update.....:(

Back