What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plugs for the tie down holes in the wings

BGordon

Well Known Member
Good afternoon everyone,
Just sitting here looking at my wings and was wondering... I plan to leave my plane in the hangar when done and did not plan to put the tie down rings in permanently. I don’t want bugs deciding to move into those holes and was wondering if anyone had sourced a way to temporarily put a plug in the hole. Either snap in or screw in?
Thanks,
Brandon

That is a very standard 3/8-16 hole. I suspect you could buy 100 plugs from mcmaster for such a hole. You could also 3d print such a part... If you come up short on a suitable solution, send me a PM and maybe we come up with a solution.

Last edited:
You could go to Home Depot/Lowe’s/Menards and get the flush plastic plugs (in white or black - and you can paint them) for a few cents each. Works fine, lasts a long time........ That’s what I’ve done. I think it makes my plane a little faster too!! You’ll need a pocket knife to pry it out of there when you install your tie down ring.

I use a stainless round head Allen screw with a nylon washer to close up mine.
I use one long enough to back out a bit as a jack point when jacking up the plane.
Just carry a small bag with the tie down rings and the Allen wrench in the plane in the event you need to tie down.

You could go to Home Depot/Lowe’s/Menards and get the flush plastic plugs (in white or black - and you can paint them) for a few cents each. Works fine, lasts a long time........ That’s what I’ve done. I think it makes my plane a little faster too!!

Yeah but think about all that unnecessary weight you added ;)

Paintable?

You could go to Home Depot/Lowe’s/Menards and get the flush plastic plugs (in white or black - and you can paint them) for a few cents each. Works fine, lasts a long time........ That’s what I’ve done. I think it makes my plane a little faster too!! You’ll need a pocket knife to pry it out of there when you install your tie down ring.

If you paint those plugs do they first need to be pri...uh oh never mind. Really, nothing to worry about. I’m sure they’ll take paint just fine without...you know...

I think you are over-thinking this. I never had bugs in mine, and I often think about the effot of inserting/removing the rings every time I tie down. It doesnot sound like much effort, but you have to retrieve them from wherever you keep them, locate the hole, srew them in without touching the paint, and then reverse the process. It is tougher to tie down one side while holding onto the ring from the other side than you think. Adding the need to remove a plug - especially if it requires a tool, that does not seem like an improved process.

I did have a bug!

I tried to screw the tie down rings prior to a trip, and found that it was full of sand and bug spit. I spent a half hour cleaning it out.... When I got back I bought two stainless bolts and cut them so they'd fit flush. Then I cut a slot for a flat screwdriver in the end. They stay there until I need the rings.

I would say a good goal is to fly enough that you simply get tired of taking the rings in and out every time you park out on the ramp at some cool new place :D

I'm happy to say that's where I wound up pretty quickly after I finished my plane. And really, they can't have that much drag.

Nylon Pan Head

I bought a bag of black nylon pan heads from McMaster and turned the inside of the heads down on the lathe to get the lowest profile head possible. I plan on leaving them in until I need to tie down. Interesting note, since they are molded, the parting line flash makes a nice locking feature.

I think whistles should be installed so when you diveyou'll sound like a stuka dive bomber

I would totally do this. :)

I leave mine out nearly all the time, since the plane is hangared at home and whenever possible when out of town, if the FBO has hangar space. For lunch runs or such (not doing those during COVID, though...just don't want to take the chance), if it's windy enough to worry about tying it down for an hour or so, it's probably too windy to fly anyway, but if necessary, I can screw them in in just a couple of minutes.

But somebody should definitely design and 3D print some soft of "screamer" that can be screwed in for fun. Please. :)

What a out gap?

So on my 9, there is a gap between the skin and the tie down piece. How did you guys deal with this gap? If a tie down is screwed in too tight, i think it could tweak the skin.

How much of performance hit is caused by leaving the tie down rings installed?
Any empirical data?

George

So on my 9, there is a gap between the skin and the tie down piece. How did you guys deal with this gap? If a tie down is screwed in too tight, i think it could tweak the skin.

Yeah, don't do that. ;) I just cut a put a rubber grommet on the tiedown ring so it "snugs up" but doesn't actually flex the skin, and I'm just careful not to do that when I screw them in. IOW, watch what you're doing. Easy peasy.

I think that's per plans on all models, AFAIK, to keep the tiedown bracket from chafing the skin on the inside.

Better yet, make a whistle that sounds like a P51 Merlin! I’ll take two and pay way more that their worth!

Gap

I know a builder who bought two socket head hex bolts. Screw them in so the eye bokt bottoms before squishing the skin. Add a rubber washer if you want a seal.
Personally, I installed the tie down brackets flush to the skin for that very reason.

I’ve got plugs in mine. Got them at Home Depot. They’re stainless steel, and have circles in the end that makes threading them in an out a snap. You can also run ropes through the circles in the event you have to park outside. No performance hit.

:D

I’ve got plugs in mine. Got them at Home Depot. They’re stainless steel, and have circles in the end that makes threading them in an out a snap. You can also run ropes through the circles in the event you have to park outside. No performance hit.

:D

Got a picture?

tie down "plugs"

Got a picture?
I think he's talking about something like this:

SSTiedown1.jpg

Back