What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Filtration for Injected Systems

Champ

Well Known Member
There have been a couple threads recently that touched on injector plugging issues that prompted this.

I've got a 125 micron Airflow Performance filter > boost pump > 70 micron Andair gascolator > Precision Airmotive Silver Hawk servo with a 70 micron internal filter arrangement.

PA recommend a 32 micron filter in front of their servo and when I questioned them on this they said a 40 to 50 micron filter would be OK. Its odd that their final/internal filter is 70 micron rather than 32.

I contacted Andair to see if they could put a finer screen in their gascolator. They contacted their screen supplier who indicated they could provide 39 micron screen at a batch cost of 155 English pounds. So, I asked Andair if they could make up the screw in filter elements with this screen and what would be the minimum order & cost. (155 pounds worth of screen should make a few hundred gascolator filter elements). I've received no response to this to date.

Bottom line is am I risking injector plugging only filtering to 70 micron? What are others doing on filtration for injected systems?

Aeromotive inline filter

I'm partial to the aeromotive inline filters. They look nice, have huge elements, and you can get them down to 40 micron in the stainless steel cleanable elements. They are very high quality units.

https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/ss-series-40-micron-fuel-filter/

12303-for-web-452x346.jpg

I have an Andair filter that I didn't use - it's probably entirely adequate, but it's so small I didn't feel comfortable using it.

There have been a couple threads recently that touched on injector plugging issues that prompted this.

I've got a 125 micron Airflow Performance filter > boost pump > 70 micron Andair gascolator > Precision Airmotive Silver Hawk servo with a 70 micron internal filter arrangement.

PA recommend a 32 micron filter in front of their servo and when I questioned them on this they said a 40 to 50 micron filter would be OK. Its odd that their final/internal filter is 70 micron rather than 32.

Bottom line is am I risking injector plugging only filtering to 70 micron? What are others doing on filtration for injected systems?

A large 74 micron has always been the smallest size I will use, anything smaller is overkill IMO.
Anything smaller must be after the mech pump or you risk excessive pressure drop/vapor lock.

Back