What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Red Cube is Inop

Art_N412SB

Hello All,
Recently our fuel tank developed a seeping leak at a rivet head. Rather then attempting a repair we sought out Vans Aircraft for help. They provided us with a refurbished fuel tank on short notice and got us back in the air in short time. Thank you Van's Aircraft.
In order to replace the fuel tank we first had to defuel the aircraft. We did so by breaking the fuel line at the gascolator and running the electric fuel pump until cavitation. Several times. I mean we really cavitated every thing. Tank, Electric pump, and Red cube fuel flow sensor. We got pretty much every drop of fuel out of the tank.
The remove and replace went very well. But, since that time we get no Skyview data for fuel flow (GPH) or fuel remaining. That is backed up by our black box data downloaded and then uploaded to Savvey Engine Analysis.
Could we have damaged the red cube by cavitating is so aggressively?
Thanks in advance

There really is not much that could damage it. There is a simple impeller in there that spins.

Something may be stuck in there or the impeller may have gotten stuck to the housing. Pull it out and see if the impeller spins by slightly blowing through it while watching your screen. You should see flow.

My guess is you got some debris from emptying the old tank, or there was some in the new tank. Remove it, flush it from both directions and inspect for dirt or debris.

tap it

Did you try a little tap with a hammer? The impeller might just be "stuck". If you end up having to remove it, resist the temptation to blow compressed air through it.

My experience

Last year my Red Cube went inop so I tried the ?flush? and no movement. While on the phone with Dynon support I blew through the Cube in the direction of flow. You will hear a Gazoo type sound and an immediate view into the passage you may see the very small impeller still turning. Mine did not so I bought a new one. Do not use compressed air to blow through the Red Cube.

Good luck.

Back