What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HDX - AP Panel OffLine

Piper J3

Well Known Member
Trying to help a friend with RV-12 dual HDX with Knob Panel and AP Panel.

Everything good for 200TT and the last flight had HDX warning that AP Panel OffLine. And, sure enough, it was. The stabilator trim not functioning either with the manually operator trim switch. Were are told that stab trim goes through the AP Panel. I would think the trim would fail "safe" and keep functioning, but apparently not.

We have checked fuses and re-seated subD connectors to no avail.

We suspect the AP Panel gave up the ghost and needs to go back to Dynon for some loving care.

Any thoughts appreciated...

First check the DB9 cables that carry all the data back and forth to the Skyview - if those are solid, and a subsequent flight continues showing the problem, then yes it's time for a note to Dynon. That's the first thing they'll ask you, in any case.

Dynon HDX-AP Pauel Offline

Jim,

My understanding is that auto-pilot control module is really two separate units in one box. First, the auto-pilot controller and second, the trim controller. If that is true and they are both not working, my first guess is the box is not getting power. I know you checked the fuses, but is it possible that the power wire came loose from the pin or something like that?

John

The autopilot panel does have two separate units inside.

Jim,

My understanding is that auto-pilot control module is really two separate units in one box. First, the auto-pilot controller and second, the trim controller. If that is true and they are both not working, my first guess is the box is not getting power. I know you checked the fuses, but is it possible that the power wire came loose from the pin or something like that?

John

It is true, that the AP Panel is two separate units in one. If the trim is not hooked up, including the power from the CB, the autopilot part of the unit will still work. If the SkyView Bus DB9 connector is not connected, the manual trim will work if the DB15 connector is wired up correctly, and plugged in.

It appears you have a problem inside the AP Panel. That is the only thing common with both the AP fault and trim.

Call Dynon and get a RMI number and send it back to them for repair.

Jim,

You do have a faulty AP panel. The only thing you can do is send it back to Dynon. There is a known but random problem they had with some boards early on and it is easy for them to sort you out.

Dont bother mucking around. ;)

We're going to pack up the unit and ship it back to Dynon. Fingers crossed that it's covered under warranty for known production defect.

It would be nice if the trim didn't stop working at first hint of AP Panel buying the farm. You would think trim would be higher up on the list of protected functions.

Tremendous depth of knowledge on this forum. Thanks for sharing...

Last edited:
Back