What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

REVIEW: "Pre-buy Guide for Amateur-built aircraft" by Vic Syracuse

AlexC

Well Known Member
I purchased Vic Syracuse’s “Pre-buy Guide for Amateur-built Aircraft” a few days ago, read it cover-to-cover, and highly recommend this book without reservation. While the book is geared toward the pre-buy process, it contains so much relevant information for all builders, owners and maintainers of amateur-built aircraft, that one could easily make the argument that all of us should have a copy of this book in our hangars and workshops! There are over 200 color photos that depict the most problematic areas that Vic has found through decades of pre-buys, maintenance and being a Designated Airworthiness Representative (DAR). I’ve attended several of Vic’s online seminars, and can say that the majority of those pictures have not been presented previously.

I am building an RV-14A, and am knee-deep in the avionics and firewall-forward (FWF) sections of the build - and the latter is where I found the true usefulness of Vic’s book. For many of us, the FWF involves techniques and skills not acquired during the other stages of the build, and because this stage of the build is more of a black box than the others, poor building technique can lead to mistakes with potentially dire consequences. As a first-time builder, it was enlightening to view photos and read descriptions of how NOT to do things, and thus I will be incorporating the knowledge gained into building a better, safer aircraft.

“Pre-buy Guide for Amateur-built Aircraft” can be purchased at lulu.com here.

Vic also has written another book, “Are Your Nuts Tight Guide to Identifying Problems on Your Amateur-Built Aircraft,” which looks to be a good companion to the pre-buy guide. I’ve ordered that one as well (also on lulu.com - search “Vic Syracuse” or click here) and look forward to reading it as I finish my RV-14A.

-Alex C.

Back