What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pulled Vac Pump Forever. Good to go?

Dave H.

I permanently removed the vacuum pump from my Lyc O-320 since I'm going all-electric. I may decide to install a standby alternator there eventually, but for now, a question for the experts:

Is there anything else in the vacuum pump port that needs to come out before I cover the hole? Like a gear or such?

Thanks,
Dave

Vacuum pump drive pad.

Just a cover plate and a gasket where the vac pump used to live. The 1.5” tall drive adapter housing needs to stay.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Attachments

• 0F0465C3-E849-471A-858C-BB5068CEDFF0.jpg
    0F0465C3-E849-471A-858C-BB5068CEDFF0.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 316
Just a cover plate and a gasket where the vac pump used to live. The 1.5” tall drive adapter housing needs to stay.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

The drive adapter only needs to stay if there is a plan to install a back-up alternator in place of the vacuum pump.

If not, it can be removed for a bit of weight reduction on the airplane, and weight increase of your wallet if you chose to sell it.

If it is removed it requires either removing the long studs and replacing them with shorter ones, or (the easier way) make some spacers from thick wall aluminum tubing (most of the company demonstrators have been flying for years with the delete done this way).

Back