What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New to the RV world--short pilot/will the seats adjust enough?

896weq

I'm New Here
I am just discovering the RVs after selling a share of a Grumman Tiger. I am interested in a 6A or 7A. I am a short woman--5'1", and wondering how the seats adjust and if they adjust enough for someone my height? If not, are there work arounds? (i.e. seat inserts or other modifications to the seat). Thanks!

Hi Leslee
Being rather short myself (and not getting any longer with age...) @ 5'7" or 172cm in standardised units (...), I'm using a 3" hard foam insert under my seat cushion. The standard -6 or -7 series have adjustable seat-backs, top and bottom. The bottom one use a simple 3 position pin/hinge system, and the top one an even simpler 3 position rake slide-in system. I like to be seated in a semi-reclined position, so my seat-back bottom is @ the most forward position whilst the seat-back top is @ the rearwards position. Hope all of this kinda makes sense ;)

Most important is to be seated as high as possible, even more so if you have the training wheel in the right position e.g. rear, to permit a better view of the runway whilst taxiing/taking off/and landing.

short seats

My 5'1" grandaughter flys my RV7 and we use a noral seat cushion with back. The seat back in aft position and pedals in most forward. I hate changing things up for big guys then little guys so i keep a variety of cushions around the hanger.

Keith Rhea RV7

add to my post above... Attached some drawings of the seat adjust and pedals of the -7, same system as on the -6. Normally only seat back top or bottom is adjustable.
Suppose you buy your own aircraft, the pedals could then be modified and moved backwards e.g. towards you, but it would be some work... which I didn't have to do ;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 16.48.48.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 16.48.48.png
    373.2 KB · Views: 157
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 16.49.44.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 16.49.44.png
    205.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 16.51.44.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 16.51.44.png
    320.5 KB · Views: 155
Thots from a Young Eagle Pilot

I've flown something over 100 Young Eagles, of all sizes and shapes. Assuming an average rudder pedal setup, you can likely move the setback forward and use a couple of pillows to get close enough to the rudder pedals to be OK. Some of the Young Eagles just could not get to a setup where they could reach the pedals so they didn't get to use the rudder. Oh well, those kids were very young and were going to grow taller anyway. That said, the hard part is, if you move your own self forward far enough, you may be so far forward that you limit aft stick travel, in which case you're going to have to bite the bullet and move the pedals aft, and that's completely doable even if it involves an A&P or some other variety of competent mechanic. Upshot of all this, don't let this concern stop you from buying or building an RV.
BTW, I worked for a Grumman dealer years ago and we were just never sure why they didn't catch on. The Tiger's virtues are not unlike the Vans airplanes' virtues.... easy to fly, good performance, excellent visibility, easy maintenance. And they're good-looking airplanes. What was not to like?

Put up another post, looking for a -7 owner near Santa Fe who will let you sit in the seat. Take along a cushion or two for under you and/or behind you. Ask the owner if the rudder pedals are in the forward or aft position. Good luck.

You can also wear a parachute. It will add 3 inches to your inseam and give you an option should you ever have a really bad day flying.

Back