What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1 EMAG EIS and 1 Magneto vs Two Magnetos

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I was about to order my 390 EXP for my 14A build and ran into the choice of EMAG+MAG vs 2 MAGs

What are the advantages and disadvantages. I am not familiar with the first option.

Not to complicate things, but you can also get one emag and an open hole. This allows you to install 2 emags.:D

Not to complicate things, but you can also get one emag and an open hole. This allows you to install 2 emags.:D
Yep - that is what I did. Got a credit for the mag that I did not get.

Two RVs both flying dual pMags. Flawless for over a decade. The RV-10 now flying with the new six cylinder pMag. First cross country with the pMag demonstrated a significant increase in fuel economy.

The RV-10 was the only time I flew behind mags. Glad I don’t have to do that anymore.

Carl

For those utilizing our Firewall Forward hose packages.....

If you choose to build your aircraft initially with a single PMAG, we configure your FWF hoses to be easy to upgrade to a second PMAG down the road. No teflon hose changes are required. All that is required is to remove an AN cap, replace it with the included pmag hose adapter fitting and install the second PMAG.

Happy building!
Steve

Dual Bendix mags or maybe a Bendix and a Surefly would be my choice.
I believe Lyc has a 'certified' version of the SF for the 390.

I replaced my right magneto with a Pmag about 800 hrs ago. After some initial teething pains as a result of being an early adopter, I'm happy with it. I kept the one mag just to leave the option open for hand-propping. if you're someone who says I'd never hand-prop an O-390 (I wouldn't blame you) then I might go with two Pmags. I think the efficiency gain of the second Pmag would be minimal but it would eliminate that 500 hour inspection on the mag.

Last edited:
The OP has an angle valve engine. Dual Pmags on an angle valve requires some "manipulation" to make it work correctly. For a beginner, the "safe" bet would be a single Pmag and a Bendix, simply because the fixed timing of the Bendix will take some of the bite off the sharp advance curve of the Pmag.

Huge amount of discussion on this specific issue on this forum.

Back