What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't update your GTN650Xi with GTN650 software. I'm a bonehead.

pecanflyboy

Well Known Member
Trying to be a good soldier and update my GTN 650Xi software. I have a G3X system, and I noticed my software version did not match the GTN 6XX/7XX software on the G3X uploads page. After the easy upload, I have an error message: "VNAV: Unavailable: Barometric altitude lost."

Called Garmin, and they helped me realize that the software mentioned above does not include the "Xi." OOOppps. In fact, as of the date of this writing, October 2020, there are no updates to the "Xi." All of this seems obvious, now. You would hope that the software upload would be blocked for an incompatible unit, but it is not. Garmin told me I was lucky the unit would still turn on.

So, Mr. Garmin, can you please email me the orignal software load, as it is not available online?.......NOPE. For some reason they can only distribute this software to the dealers. In fact, it sounded like the "Xi's" will require future software upgrades at a Garmin dealer.

So, learn from my mistake!

$

GTN Software Update Error

Trying to be a good soldier and update my GTN 650Xi software. I have a G3X system, and I noticed my software version did not match the GTN 6XX/7XX software on the G3X uploads page. After the easy upload, I have an error message: "VNAV: Unavailable: Barometric altitude lost."

Called Garmin, and they helped me realize that the software mentioned above does not include the "Xi." OOOppps. In fact, as of the date of this writing, October 2020, there are no updates to the "Xi." All of this seems obvious, now. You would hope that the software upload would be blocked for an incompatible unit, but it is not. Garmin told me I was lucky the unit would still turn on.

So, Mr. Garmin, can you please email me the orignal software load, as it is not available online?.......NOPE. For some reason they can only distribute this software to the dealers. In fact, it sounded like the "Xi's" will require future software upgrades at a Garmin dealer.

$

The GTN Xi Navigator software has not been updated since initial launch. Once a software update is released, it will be made available to our experimental customers in just the same way the legacy GTN software is. In order to make the software for our TSO products available, we have to generate and publish a Service Bulletin to go along with the release, without one, our tech support group is not able to forward on the software for you.

This is a unique case. We will take a look at a few options tomorrow to see what the best path forward will be, and reach back out to you.

Thanks,

Justin

SteinAir is very aware of the issue. The unit is on its way back to SteinAir as we speak. Insurance was pricey. My local Avionics shop just completed training on this exact issue in Kansas. So, I don’t think it’s that unique anymore. They say that it should not take more than 1/2 hour shop time.

Garmin has been very generous and helpful with issues I've had. My conversation with Garmin was escalated to a supervisor who denied the request to have the software sent to me, directly. I went ahead and sent it to SteinAir as they seemed to have a lot of experience with resetting the unit to original software, and explained it was much more involved than just inserting a SD card and updating the unit. I know that they will get it right.

Engineering should consider altering the software updates so that accidental install is prevented.

Nobodies fault but mine.

Last edited:
I think it’s so cool that Garmin responds to feedback and provides help on this forum

I agree, Garmin’s VAF presence is excellent. And I understand that there are legal issues in dealing with a TSO’d unit. But, it seems a shame, that you have to get to a dealer to, basically, have an SD card inserted and removed.

I agree, Garmin’s VAF presence is excellent. And I understand that there are legal issues in dealing with a TSO’d unit. But, it seems a shame, that you have to get to a dealer to, basically, have an SD card inserted and removed.

For EAB you download and update your GTN units yourself, no dealer req'd.

$

SteinAir reset the GTN650Xi to the original software load. Still have the message "VNAV: Unavailable: Barometric altitude lost." In the GTN diagnostics, I am not receiving any altitude information. Checked all pins for continuity. ARINC diagnosis shows data being transferred. Garmin has yet to respond. Any ideas? If the GTN is back to normal, it points the the G3X update?

Probably apples and oranges here - I have an older 420W gps - but I think the barometric altitude data goes from efis to gps via an RS232 connection. Might check that the formats haven’t changed.

ARINC 429 air data from GAD29 to GTN, likely a setting changed on the GTN with the new software. See page 27-40 G3X IM.
I always encourage folks to take a picture of 232/429 settings for future ref.

Last edited:
ARINC 429 air data from GAD29 to GTN, likely a setting changed on the GTN with the new software. See page 27-40 G3X IM.
I always encourage folks to take a picture of 232/429 settings for future ref.

That's an excellent idea, and was done. Everything is configured correctly. Pins checked for continuity. Patiently awaiting Garmin's response.

I think there may be other users with this issue, and they are told to just configure the GTN in VCALC, not realizing they lose VNAV. If you fly approaches, that is a big sacrifice.

Pins checked for continuity.

Checking the two A429 EFIS/Airdata pins for continuity is good, but did you also verify that neither is grounded or shorted to each other?

You will also want to look carefully at the pins in the rear of the GTN rack and make sure that none are bent over. This should be rare, but has happened.

Steve

Last edited:

$

I feel for you. I do moronic things to well-designed stuff all the time. We should be paid by Garmin to be beta testers. When they're all done with their shakedown and ready to confidently release a product they need to send a unit down to the nut farm to have us Gomers give it a whirl.

When I was at Boeing we thought we had our stuff together until a new design hit the airways. Then we had fat ladies stuck to suction toilets. We had pilots getting locked into the front bathrooms by an open cockpit door with the first officer wondering where everybody went.

Forget in-house testing by smart manicured employees. All major manufacturers should troll Wallmart at 3am and pay the patrons to beta test their products. I'll meet you in the parking lot.

I feel for you. I do moronic things to well-designed stuff all the time. We should be paid by Garmin to be beta testers. When they're all done with their shakedown and ready to confidently release a product they need to send a unit down to the nut farm to have us Gomers give it a whirl.

When I was at Boeing we thought we had our stuff together until a new design hit the airways. Then we had fat ladies stuck to suction toilets. We had pilots getting locked into the front bathrooms by an open cockpit door with the first officer wondering where everybody went.

Forget in-house testing by smart manicured employees. All major manufacturers should troll Wallmart at 3am and pay the patrons to beta test their products. I'll meet you in the parking lot.

That is hilarious!!! I just shared it with my training team here at Garmin. :D

Back