What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

replacement for Trutrak ADI Pilot?

scsmith

Well Known Member
OK, just collecting thoughts and options here.

On another recent thread there was discussion of the year-ago demise of Trutrak and the inability to get a Trutrak box serviced.

So thoughts turn to what might be a good replacement. In my case, with the ADI-Pilot, I use it as an emergency backup horizon instrument and the interface to a single axis (heading) autopilot. It is a tidy little box that was very reasonably priced for those capabilities. (recognizing that the horizon is not a AHRS, but a lessor technology method of synthesizing a horizon).

So what is out there?

A Garmin G5 would be a nice step up in features, capability, to put into that same instrument hole. But it does not seem to serve as an autopilot interface, so a separate box is needed (GMC 305). Not sure I have a place to put that. Hopefully it can take a GPS input signal from my GNS396. An added plus is that the GMC 305 can apparently talk to my existing Trutrak servo?

The MGL mini-EFIS seems OK, but you have to buy a separate AHRS box. Supposedly there will be a future enhancement to add direct autopilot interface into the mini-EFIS, but not here yet? Will the MGL box talk to my Trutrak servo when/if the integrated autopilot feature is introduced?

What other options? ideas?

Lot of bang for the buck with a GRT Mini-X. UI not as polished as the G5 but synthetic vision, flight director, a map option, autopilot, and free database updates sealed the deal for me. Slightly larger than a G5.

Something to consider...
I just upgraded my ADI pilot II to a Gemini. They just renamed it - xCruze 110.
It is almost a direct plug in replacement- the power wire is the only one that has changed. All electronic, and adds vertical control options (I have the second servo), for less than $1500.
TT stopped servicing the ADI a few years ago due to the unavailability of parts.

Lot of bang for the buck with a GRT Mini-X. UI not as polished as the G5 but synthetic vision, flight director, a map option, autopilot, and free database updates sealed the deal for me. Slightly larger than a G5.

So does it actually have the autopilot? The write-up on ACS says the autopilot is a future-planned thing.

EDIT: Ah, my bad. I confused the MGL and GRT mini's. Thanks Bob. The GRT mini-X does look like an intriguing choice.

Last edited:
OK, just collecting thoughts and options here.

A Garmin G5 would be a nice step up in features, capability, to put into that same instrument hole. But it does not seem to serve as an autopilot interface, so a separate box is needed (GMC 305). Not sure I have a place to put that. Hopefully it can take a GPS input signal from my GNS396. An added plus is that the GMC 305 can apparently talk to my existing Trutrak servo?

I switched from the ADI II to the Gemini and as noted it was an easy replacement and TruTrak also has an interface cable that made it plug and play. The Gemini does not have vertical guidance without a 429 input which I do not have as I use the 796 which is only RS232 so I recently looked into the G5/GMC 305 to get vertical guidance but could not get validation that that combination would in fact drive my TruTrak servos, it says that it does on the Aircraft Spruce site but I have been told that is not true. It would be a good choice if it drove the existing servos.
Figs

G3X expert?

I switched from the ADI II to the Gemini and as noted it was an easy replacement and TruTrak also has an interface cable that made it plug and play. The Gemini does not have vertical guidance without a 429 input which I do not have as I use the 796 which is only RS232 so I recently looked into the G5/GMC 305 to get vertical guidance but could not get validation that that combination would in fact drive my TruTrak servos, it says that it does on the Aircraft Spruce site but I have been told that is not true. It would be a good choice if it drove the existing servos.
Figs

Perhaps the Garmin Tech fellow that frequently provides great info on VAF can tell us if the G5/GMC 305 combination can drive our existing Trutrak servos?

Perhaps the Garmin Tech fellow that frequently provides great info on VAF can tell us if the G5/GMC 305 combination can drive our existing Trutrak servos?

Maybe a better question is, can a G5 interface with the old TruTrak GX Pilot head which would then drive the TT servos.

Maybe a better question is, can a G5 interface with the old TruTrak GX Pilot head which would then drive the TT servos.

I really doubt that the big G will play with anybody not from their own sandbox.

At least in the context being discussed.

Back