What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot/ Static Line Material

Jim P

Well Known Member
What are most of you using for the pitot-static lines behind the panel. The nylo-flow tubing is some pretty inflexible stuff and I'm wondering if there's some better stuff to use in that area.

Jim

Jim, I just did my panel P&S over the weekend using Nyla-Flo (SP). It is inflexible as you state however, I like the way their components go together.

A nice benefit with their tubuing is the ability to sculpt it to your needs. Use a heat gun to get it nice and hot, and you can bend it to any compound shape you desire. Once it cools, it holds the shape nicely.

Jekyll

Good hint

Thanks for the hint. I'll give that a try. I like the connectors as well so I wanted to make sure I gave it a chance. Works great for the lengthy straight runs, but the tighter bends make things interesting.

Line Failure

The pitot line on my ship has broken in a few different spots, but always on a curved section. It breaks in a clean fashion and seems quite brittle. The radius seems pretty mild. I did not build the ship, so I don't know what the material is. It is opaque white with no markings. It is semi-rigid, like Poly-Flo.

It's only 13 years old. Any ideas what type of tubing might get brittle like that? It's located in the cabin, not subject to sunlight or high heat.

More importantly, what should I look for in replacement material? Poly-Ethylene, nylon, Tygon, etc? This is the first time I've ever seen pitot-static line fail, even in my 55 yr old certified ship.

George

Im using 1/8 od tube and push lock fittings for all pneumatic lines from MSC direct. It's like spaghetti in appearance and forms just as easily.

Back