What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seattle Avionics

Not exactly an answer but...

You don't need sectionals. The map built into the Skyview, and info updated each month for free, will suffice for VFR. I had thought about the Seattle subscription but flew for awhile without it and now I can't imagine needing it. Foreflight is a better choice IMO.

I think the common interpretation accepted is to "review current information before flight". That would cover TFR's, obstructions, weather, airport info etc...

As far as SA, i like having the apprch procedures and airport diagrams that are geo referenced (your gps position is shown on the chart). The sectional option i dont use much compared to the standard skyview database. I do keep paper sectionals in the plane. If just for sentimental reasons.

I keep the free annual "paper sectional" of Arkansas airports in the plane. Most states produce something like that. My iphone with Foreflight is with me for all the other current stuff and depending on the mission, I take the iPad with Foreflight. I have the ADSB receiver for the Skyview so it should also show TFRs etc. on its standard map.

Not exactly an answer but...

You don't need sectionals. The map built into the Skyview, and info updated each month for free, will suffice for VFR. I had thought about the Seattle subscription but flew for awhile without it and now I can't imagine needing it. Foreflight is a better choice IMO.

I purchased the Seattle subscription and I agree with Bill that it's not really needed. Actually, I don't think it's worth the money.
I have Skyview Touch with ADS-B and the only things I actually look at from Seattle is the taxi chart, which is geo referenced and that's only at a few bigger airports. Occaisionally I switch over from Syview mapping to the sectional but it's rare. Foreflight is MUCH better for sectionals.
For the $99 subscription I could get the $75 VFR Foreflight Mobile app on my iPad AND add the $25 Synthetic vision option. This effectively makes my iPad Air a second screen. Add the new $35 WiFi USB from Dynon and I can send attitude and flight plans to FF on iPad from the Skyview. All in all a much better value for $135 versus $99 from Seattle (for a taxi chart and sectionals, and unneeded IFR charts).

An updated Foreflight covers the need for paper charts, and I also have FF mobile on my iPhone 6. I can take the iPad with me and use FF for weather, planning, routes etc. Seattle's sectionals stay on Skyview in the airplane.
The new Dynon wifi app will allow you to send the flight plan to FF with a touch of a button and I'm thinking of adding it.

The other issue I have with Seattle is that it's not compatible with Apple. I used to update it on an old Are laptop and it took forever. Updating Dynon and Foreflight on the other hand is an absolute breeze.

Like Bill, I have the sectional chart/airports issued for free for my state and that's been extremely handy as a reference and for some planning and I keep it in my kitbag.

Just my 2 cents.:)

Last edited:
Edward,
As others have said, there is no legal requirement for sectionals in an airplane, just that you have the information required for the flight. The built in mapping function in SkyView easily gets you the data you need to be safe.

That being said, the FAA is more than aware of electronic flight bags, and we've never heard of them having an issue with a sectional on a screen (SkyView, iPad, or otherwise) in place of a paper copy. It's the same data, from the same source.

I love my Seattle Avionics sub.

I have one for Skyview and Fly Q and find them both very nice. Esp at busy airports in complex class B situations.

Compared to jepp or paper, they are a bargain. I have everything I need (with a backup) to any place I want to go.

Last edited:
I have the $35 wifi USB from Dynon but can't access the rear USB ports on Dynon. The SLSA completely encloses Dynon. No access to the USB. No room to slide The USB wifi dongle and extension in or out.

Do I need an A&P to drill a hole in the back of the enclosed Dynon? What have you all done?

Get a $5 short USB extender cable from Amazon. Plug the male end into an unused port on the back of the Skyview and the female end into a hole in your glove compartment box. Or, through a hole in the underside of your panel base cinched up flat against that base with some cable ties or tape,

The object is to leave a USB stick in it all the time, so at the end of the flight you can download your data, or take screenshots during the flight. And you don't want the memory stick, when plugged in, sticking straight down or sticking out from the panel.

From your post you may not realize that the panel cover is removeable. Remove the screws from the forward portion (next to the top cowl seam). Remove the screws from the top arc of the instrument panel. There are screws on each side that require the canopy to be up or down to remove them. Careful, the cover is a bit springy.

You also may not know that the Skyview screen itself will pull pack into the cabin if you undo the screws around the bezel. Extra wire is provided on the harness for that - called a "service loop." That is one way to get to the backside of the screen.

Last edited:
Tim,
There is plenty of room behind the screens for the WiFi dongle. You do need to pull the 6 screws around the screen, pop it out, and plug the dongle right in the back.

Hole ?

Thank you. Ok. I can remove the screws around the bezel.

Do I have to drill a hole in the box for the USB extension to exit the box?
That would be like 1/2 inch hole to get the short USB cable out ?

I'm worrying about metal shavings .....size of hole. I'm just a newby lucky to have this SLSA.

Tim

You don't need to do any cutting. Just plug the adapter in the back. It doesn't need to go into the glovebox or anything.

But there are other good reasons to run an extender cable to the glove box. Tim, with the top cover off you can easily clean any shavings. Drill a small hole to match the female end of the USB extender. Upper inboard side of the glove box back about an inch from the panel. Tape the cable in place so you can plug/unplug the USB stick with the glove box door open.

In our -12 there is a USB port on the underside of the instrument panel. there is one for each screen if you have the dual screen option. This is standard on the -12. No need to go behind screen or do anything else. I'm confused as to why anybody is having a problem with USB access.

In our -12 there is a USB port on the underside of the instrument panel. there is one for each screen if you have the dual screen option. This is standard on the -12. No need to go behind screen or do anything else. I'm confused as to why anybody is having a problem with USB access.

You're right about the USB being underneath. You can use it for Dynon updates.
Insert, update remove.

However, if you use the Seattle Avionics Charts then you need to fly with the USB that it's installed in plugged in to a USB. Usually the one underneath.

If, however, like me you bought the WiFi adapter, then this also has to be plugged into a USB in flight. So, what I did was to unscrew to SkyView unit and plug the WiFi USB into one of the USB posts in the back then reinstall SkyView into the panel. This leaves the USB underneath dress for Seattle Avionics, updates or whatever.

Wifi adapter for SkyView.

"You don't need to do any cutting. Just plug the adapter in the back. It doesn't need to go into the glovebox or anything."

Dynon! You're absolutely right. No glovebox. No cutting. No drilling.

It works. Just Remove bezel. Plug and play. Dynon SkyView communicates great with the IPad despite complete metal enclosure.

This we so easy! Duh! Great job SkyView.

Tim

Ps. TopCat had it right. As for the bottom USB....that's already. used for Seattle.

SkyView wifi iPad adapter

To summarize:

If you add wifi for your IPad.... I got it figured out with some good advice from Dynon per discussion today on Vans AF.

Directions: Just remove the bezel, plug wifi adapter into back. No holes. No drilling. Works great. Stick iPad to dash with Velcro.

Amazing.

Tim.

Some early E-LSAs were shipped with defective USB ports/cables for the under-shelf connection. Bill H's was one of those.

USB

Some have run an extension into the glove box.
I have the USB (extension) port mounted to the bottom of the instrument tray.
Easily accessible.

Top Cat - in the -12 there are actually 2 USB ports on the back of the screen, plus the one under the panel for 3 total. We also put our WiFi adaptor into one of the ports on the back of each screen (we have dual screens) and the other in the back is empty. As you said, we use the one underneath for updates.

Bob

Seattle, Never again.

I pretty much washed my hands with Seattle Avionics when they refused to update Voyager with ADSB in. I had bought in to the whole "lifetime" maps thing with SA using their Voyager system. Then they partnered with AOPA and came out with the Fly-Q system, leaving us Voyager users high and dry. Now I only use Voyager for flight-planning purposes.

I have friends that use the Ipad for a primary or secondary screen but I use a 796 as a back-up as it provides me with ADSB in via the GDL-39 3D. I'm just waiting for Garmin to come out with an ADSB solution for the 900X.

I carry paper backup with an IFR chart subscription (Terps and low enroute) and the LAX TAC. It's relatively cheap and no scrolling required. If my screens go dark I'm covered.

If I were building today I'd look long and hard at Advanced or Dynon. YMMV

-Marc

Last edited:
Dynon & Seattle Avionics

Since my annual subscription to Seattle is about up, I spent some time with my dual Skyview system looking at what I really use. I never use the sectional or IFR views on the Dynon screens. The terrain view I use on the map screens is from Dynon. Use Foreflight on my iPad for planning, and autopilot waypoint entering. Have the current sectionals and airport diagrams on iPad to remain legal, and is VERY easy to keep updated. I wasted a couple hours a month in front of the computer with the pitiful Seattle Avionics program (have to put Windows on my Mac just for that).

The only thing I found useful from the Seattle avionics info was the airport diagrams, but can just use Foreflight instead.

For my purposes, the Seattle avionics was a waste of time and money. I fly strictly VFR, so your mileage may vary. After about 60 hours behind the Skyview system, I have to say, It is the first glass panel I flew behind, and was very easy to learn. Now if I could just figure out the autopilot Expert mode....

I purchased their Cyber Monday deal (which is a great price!) for my dual screen AF-5600 system. Like many others have said, their download speed is incredibly slow! I have a 100mbps connection at work and it took over 6 hours to download and install the data.... that is pretty terrible in this day and age.
The data itself is great and of good quality, the software works fine, they just need to improve their server infrastructure to improve download speed.

SA likely has a slow upload speed (e.g. asynchronous DSL), which results in the poor performance. Plus, lots of people hitting the server at the same time.

If they are listening, this could easily be solved by paying (not much) for an increase in upload speeds or multiple hosting sites to spread the load.

Back