What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why no solid tires?

Aluminum

Well Known Member
Given the high potential for disaster caused by a flat tire, why don't we see solid elastomer tires on small aircraft? My wheelbarrow has one and it is awesome.

That's a darn good question !! I've versions of those tires on rough terrain reach forklifts, and some mowers, and they're awesome. Ones properly designed for light aircraft would sell like hotcakes, I'd bet.

Michelin Tweel

From Michelin.........

Attachments

• 1FB133F9-104B-4786-A02E-5B38B9175BD6.jpeg
    1FB133F9-104B-4786-A02E-5B38B9175BD6.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 202
A lot of the suspension is the tire giving...........

FWIW: Having changed regular tires to "solid" tires on my riding lawn mower I can tell you this is a huge difference. The "solid" tires make the mower bounce a whole lot more even though I can only do about 10 MPH. I can only imagine how bad it would be at landing speeds.

I would imagine the requirement to instantly accelerate from zero rpm to whatever rpm is required for ~50 kts would also be a factor.

Cost, weight, grip, balance, absorption, operating environments such as going from zero to X amount of knots in an instant, plenty of reasons why!

Over 13,000 hours and I’ve never had to land on a flat tire. Saw 2 flat tires but both were before engine start. How common are flats?

Back when pneumatic tires were invented, they were considered to be a big advantage over solid tires due to the improved ride.

I have done some experiments with foam filled tailwheel tires. The problem with them is they flatspot when the airplane sits for a period of time.

Ditto what rocketbob said. Tried wheelchair tires on my tailwheel and didn't work. Might be ok if you lifted the tail and took the weight off the wheel every time it is parked for any significant time (mine flatted overnight).

Back