What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9A using csp question.

Dave12

Well Known Member
I have 9A with a fully upgraded Whirlwind 151 3 blade spun by a tmxIO320/165 hp. I am considering a new 2 blade as a replacement. I?m looking at the WW 200RV and the compact hub Hartzell. If any of y?all are running the Hartzell, I would like your thoughts on the performance and CG/W&B ? It does appear to be 10-15 lbs heavier than the WW.

I decided on the WW200RV because of the weight. I have been happy with the decision. 7 yrs continuous operation. no issues. still looks great.

Same, whirlwind for the low weight. 4 years and 600 hours, still loving it.

One thing to consider is that the WW 200RV requires a $$$ teardown inspection every 650 hours/6 years. That alone pushed me over to the MT.

Thanks. Anyone out there using the Hartzell? The whirlwinds y’all are using are 2 blade?

Hartzell CS here on the 9A. It has been to the ends of the earth and back. I'm doing it again. Yeah, I wish it didn't weigh as much, but it is nice to know it is nearly bulletproof.

Last edited:
I have the 200rv on my -6. I love the prop, but i am still very tail heavy. I wish i had went with the hartzell for the extra 20 lbs up front.

Hartzell CS here on the 9A. It has been to the ends of the earth and back. I'm doing it again. Yeah, I wish it didn't weigh as much, but it is nice to know it is nearly bulletproof.

Bingo! Just what I was looking for. You do have the compact hub Van?s sells? Can you tell me what your nosewheel weight is? Also, if you don?t mind, io320? Typical climb rate? Speed at 25/25 at say 5500?? Just ballpark if you can. Many thanks. Feel free to pm if you want.

9A with a Hartzell and an 0 320 with one mag, Lightspeed ignition, 40 amp main alternator, Plane Power backup alternator and EarthX battery.

Provided I keep below Van’s max take off and baggage weights it will stay within the c of g range no matter how I load it. With full fuel, 75kg pilot and no baggage the aircraft is 11% from the fwd. limit and handles fine however it does exceed Van’s max nose wheel weight for the 9A by about 6kg. Storing about 10 kg (tool kit, water etc.) in the back of the baggage compartment solves the problem.

At Van’s max gross with minimum fuel (20 lt), heavy pilot and copilot and max allowable baggage compartment weight the aircraft is at 90% from the fwd. limit and is noticeably light on the controls especially in the flare. For my aircraft at least I would not want less weight on the nose.
Fin 9A

Last edited:
For y?all that are running a two blade csp, does your prop create a lot of drag when you throttle back in the pattern? My three blade is like throwing out an anchor.

Yes it does. My 2-blade Whirlwind seems to be zero-thrust at about 8.5" or 9" manifold pressure, if I close the throttle all the way I can bleed energy like crazy. That is nice for my home strip, with powerlines crossing each threshold. I can make a steep approach over the lines and not waste runway ahead, keeping good airspeed right down to the flare and bleed it off fast.

One thing to consider is that the WW 200RV requires a $$$ teardown inspection every 650 hours/6 years. That alone pushed me over to the MT.

The MT looks very good to me. Is it a direct bolt on with no spacer required? Standard Van?s cowl.

The MT looks very good to me. Is it a direct bolt on with no spacer required? Standard Van?s cowl.

A direct bolt on replacement with no spacer. No change in cowling fit. I got the best pricing from Tiffin Aire, Tiffin OH.

The weight of the whirlwind is again a big plus. the 650 hour tear down is a minus ,but it normally costs way less than a hartzell or MT tear down. Hundreds compared to thousands.

Back